What kind of company gatekeeps a part of their game from people who buy DLC?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Oh, I can tell you how this will play out. Frontier will continuously update the "demo" because they wouldn't want to maintain yet another separate codebase. So the "demo" will always be the same build as Odyssey, with all the fixes, narrative updates etc. And at some point they will announce that client 3.8 will be retired, and the "demo" will become the actual base game.
This aged well. ✌️

This aged well. ✌️
It's also what Frontier said would happen, back in August:
In our Console Update announcement in March, we mentioned aligning game development by releasing future content on the post-Odyssey codebase (version 4.0). This is essential to modernising the way we deliver content and ensuring various elements such as the interactive storyline continue expanding in scope and quality.

To allow as many players as possible to experience the new narrative and gameplay elements, we intend to give all PC players access to version 4.0, at no additional cost, while keeping the upgrade to Odyssey optional. You will still be able to launch Elite in version 3.8 if you choose. This option is expected to come in the weeks following Update 13 with more details to be shared closer to the time.

With regards to how this affects the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga: delivering on our promise to offer the best possible narrative content requires taking full advantage of version 4.0.

Therefore, Horizons players will be able to witness the final event in the Azimuth Saga and access related gameplay scenarios. Moving forwards, all PC players will have access to content in the next narrative phase given they are using version 4.0, except in cases where on-foot gameplay (and by extension, Odyssey) is required.
Meanwhile from March's Console Update Announcement:
Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

Right, and there was never any argument about it.

Ofc not.
When that discussion started, Bruce said they are selling 3.8 and Odyssey (and NOT selling Horizons 4.0)
That was back then.

That changed last week when they announced that 4.0 will become live and 3.8 legacy
However, we still have no idea what will people buy - will it be obvious that people will buy 4.0? will the minimum requirements be updated? (i got no answer to that last question)

Ah, no. People who haven't bought a game are being blackmailed into buying it.
I was pretty negative about how oddy players were not allowed to play with horizons 4.0 players.... however imo post 14 release I think FD are doing nothing wrong. surely you can't expect players who have not bought the DLC get free access to the DLC.
unlike the 3.8 / 4.0 shinanegans Horizon 4.0 contains all the content in EDO which isn't a paid extra and as such the new system is completely fair imo.
yes it would be nice if EDO players could join up with H4 instances where the content overlapped but I respect there are challenges which may be insurmountable there due to the DLC having featires meshed into the game in places and could lead to consistency problems.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom