What kind of syfy are you?

I think earth-like worlds will look like earth. Earth is so much 'bigger' and more diverse than many people know. There are places right here on real Earth that look downright alien, so other ELWs need not be 'extreme' to be alien. I don't think other earths are going to have purple grass and orange trees unless there is some scientific reason (different wavelengths of sunlight or atmospheric composition) to justify it.

That said, we do have brain trees and glowing disco pumpkins in ED already, so I'm sure there will be an alien feel to alien worlds if Frontier ever finishes ED to have landable ELWs with life. I, however, do not want NMS. I prefer more science, less fiction.
Always a tricky one, making things convincingly alien. Weird for the sake of it doesn't always work, too Earthlike, just a few blobs and changed colours doesn't either (although there are plants on Earth with different-coloured leaves, e.g. copper beech).

I think the codex entries give some idea for the architecture style for the various superpowers. As for stations/outposts I think something that looks like the Expanse would be great. The designs in the books and in the show really capture what practical/ good looking architecture in space could look like
Individual countries can have quite widely varying architectures amongst them, and even more so in places that have been inhabited for quite a long time, and some of these planets have been inhabited for many centuries. I hope we see a bit of variation even on the same world (mind you the real world is going depressingly could-be-anywhere-ish with buildings).

Individual countries can have quite widely varying architectures amongst them, and even more so in places that have been inhabited for quite a long time, and some of these planets have been inhabited for many centuries. I hope we see a bit of variation even on the same world (mind you the real world is going depressingly could-be-anywhere-ish with buildings).

Personally I'm not expecting this level of fidelity, but I agree it would be nice :)

I'm thinking more along the lines of the current station interiors/exteriors & ground base permutations in terms of variety, enough to give a bit of flavour but not so much it bogs the game progress down. A few unique assets would go down well, just as adding the CQC assets to the game did.

Seeing as we are all playing the most realistic syfy game out there. What is a Elite earth like world going to look like? whats going to look to fake. Thats the hard part for me when it comes to syfy are any of these worlds going to look passable I mean I have no frame of thought as to what another planet in another solar system we have never seen before is going to look like. should it look like Star Wars, Star Trek, No Mans sky. what will pass the it looks real test with this group. o7
This is how I see cities on populated worlds looking like...not even needful to have space legs/Elite feet... tho that would be nice:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0EKdy44fE

Maybe something like this....

I totally recommend Frank Herbert's The Jesus Incident

Its about clones traveling aboard a ship they have made sentient .....

o7

Or Destination Void which IIRC was the original.

Brian Aldiss did some very alien worlds.

And for life aboard ships and stations as well there is CJ Cherryh, Voyager in Night and Port Eternity might fit well with Destination Void and The Jesus Incident.

Or Destination Void which IIRC was the original.

Brian Aldiss did some very alien worlds.

And for life aboard ships and stations as well there is CJ Cherryh, Voyager in Night and Port Eternity might fit well with Destination Void and The Jesus Incident.
Great books!

As a life long consumer of science fiction across a myriad of media, I am the kind that coils in revulsion at the use of syfy to describe it.

you and me both. It's "sci-fi" and there's nothing that desperate, pandering TV network can do about it!

Picking up on old ducks pretty enlightened views there, most of which I agree with, but I want to clarify my interpretation on the comparison to NMS. Essentially I don't want other procedurally generated ecosystems to look like something out of a psychedelic comic book ala NMS, nor do I want a repeat of "the great beigeificaiton" where all planets turned beige, due to FDev remodelling planets based on "realistic colourations derived from their mineral compositions". However earth is inand of it self pretty unique, in that most organic chemistry is russet (reddish) in colour, however our ecosystem flipped its composition due to the proliferation of cyanobacteria. This then made our atmosphere such that green plants were the norm for photosynthesis. However, in another planet where the gas mix in the atmosphere, or the stars wavelengths are conducive to purple grass, make it so.

So like NMS I'd like to see procedurally generated diverse ecosystems, but I'd like that procedural generation algorithm to have a credible, but somewhat loose, base in science; ie: not necessarily absolutely factual, as the Devs would need some leeway to create dramatic, alien, landscapes in future atmospheric worlds, rather than just "Earth 339,647.0", and counting... But I trust this could be done without just making them look random because, RNG, and "cartoonz are kewl"...

It should probably look like elite and not seek to imitate any of the shows/movies mentioned.
A good starting point would be to take the insides of Coriolis/Orbis stations as a basis and go from there. Also current planetary bases would be part of the considerations.
Yes but Multicannon!
Ok, Li Lu - you can put that weapon away now. ;)
[HINT]Reference to the Fifth Element for those that may not get the joke.[/HINT]

Last edited:
I think it depends on the world. There may be quite a range of differences even within the 'Earth-like' bracket. For example, how might things change for worlds with 0.5g? What would evolved plants and animals on such a world by like? What about those with 1.5g? How about ELWs with 6 atmospheres? You are going to need a rebreather there, and woe betide you if you get stuck out in a thunderstorm. The sound waves would blow out your ear drums.

There is also the question of terraformed worlds vs natural Earth-likes. Terraformed should be easier to live on. Natural Earth-like worlds could be lethal given you would have zero immunity to things in it's biosphere. But then you might be just a lethal to things in that biosphere for the same reasons (plus we are humans, and tend to kill everything we meet). But I expect a very healthy dose of handwavium in this regard and people will be just fine. At least we can envisage these issue... unlike the 'Martians' in War of the Worlds, who can cross space, but 'forgot' about biohazards of an alien biosphere.

As for legs, it will be Stargate and it's 101 magical temperate planets with 1g, perfect atmospheres, 1 au distance from stars etc etc...

I think it depends on the world. There may be quite a range of differences even within the 'Earth-like' bracket. For example, how might things change for worlds with 0.5g? What would evolved plants and animals on such a world by like? What about those with 1.5g? How about ELWs with 6 atmospheres? You are going to need a rebreather there, and woe betide you if you get stuck out in a thunderstorm. The sound waves would blow out your ear drums.

There is also the question of terraformed worlds vs natural Earth-likes. Terraformed should be easier to live on. Natural Earth-like worlds could be lethal given you would have zero immunity to things in it's biosphere. But then you might be just a lethal to things in that biosphere for the same reasons (plus we are humans, and tend to kill everything we meet). But I expect a very healthy dose of handwavium in this regard and people will be just fine. At least we can envisage these issue... unlike the 'Martians' in War of the Worlds, who can cross space, but 'forgot' about biohazards of an alien biosphere.

As for legs, it will be Stargate and it's 101 magical temperate planets with 1g, perfect atmospheres, 1 au distance from stars etc etc...

It could be argued that anything that humans couldn't survive on with only standard levels of clothing needed for living on Earth and filters for allergens etc is insufficiently Earth-like to qualify.

Impossible to know, especially if we are using "syfy" as reference.

In general, nowadays Science Fiction focuses on the technological part of the future while leaving cultural, economic, and social aspects barely scratched or becoming something that we already know. For example, in ED we have governments that work pretty much like 21st governments: Democracies run by corporations, royal autocracies with symbolic parliaments, and union of states that together make a super-power but no one is sure how is working.

Battletech is another universe that comes to my mind, it started like a medieval feudal space opera that featured giant robots instead of knights on horses and wearing shining armor. It was interesting but nowadays the story is almost a generic sci-fi with monarchies.

This goes for the classics as well, Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" feature Martians that live in a fantasy environment and fantastic technology, but their families look a lot like a 50's American family with a male breadwinner and a female housewife. Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" has galactic empires and mind reading and manipulating mutants 20,000 years from now, but families still follow the nuclear model.

There are exceptions, like Huxley's "Brave New World" where all people are "created" and conceived to fulfill specific roles in a hierarchical caste system where everyone is happy to be on their place and is actually unable to work outside of that specific place, but that kind of "universes" are not pretty as we feel them unfamiliar and unsetting.

Now, technological advancements generally shape and it is shaped by social needs and it is allowed by economic circumstances. For example, 50 years ago, in what Hobsbawm would call "The Golden Decade of Capitalism" the greatest accomplishment of the human race in machine-technological terms was achieved, the landing on the moon. Back then, people imagined that we would have colonies on Mars by now. But 40 years of economic uncertainty and crisis have us on the stage of "We could be going back to the moon in the next 10 years... Maybe!". In 1977 smallpox was eradicated from the face of the earth and by 2020 they expected to have eliminated polio, measles and whooping cough, instead, about 800,000 kids still die of diarrhea and the Americans have to pay $275 USD for one vial of insulin. Not to talk about to the whole anti-vax, flat-earth, and climate change deniers.

So, how is going to be the world in 3305? Heck, that would need an incredible exercise of imagination, worth of writing a book about.

Last edited:
One of my favourite aspects of yesteryear’s (mostly pulp, popular) science fiction is how grossly overoptimistic it is with its timelines.

PULP SCIENCE FICTION:
“It is the year 2020 and humanity united under one government has colonised most of the galaxy. Telepathy and time travel are common, and every citizen nearing his death is uploaded to the cloud”.

REALITY:
“It is the year 2020 and apple has released a new, slimmer keyboard. Rumour has it still sucks”.

That's true of great sci-fi too, like the masterpiece 2001 referenced in your avatar. The great technological advancement of the late 90s early 2000s was the ability to slowly download images of naked people over your land-line. :D

Top Bottom