What leopard sub-species would you choose?

This is for the true leopard, panthera pardus, which does not include the clouded leopard. (As much as I love those little guys)

The African leopard is the most famous sub-species within panthera pardus. But it might not be Frontier's pick, due to their education and conservation message. They don't always do things this way, but they've surprised us by choosing species like the Himalayan brown bear, instead of the more famous Russian brown bear or Kodiak bear, and the Formosan black bear instead of North American black bear, and the West African lion instead of East or South African.

That being said, many assume Amur leopard, because of it's critically endangered status. They're also stunningly beautiful:

1580869711653.png

amur 1.jpg

amur.png

I love their longer fur, reddish amber tint, and they look remarkable in the snow. There's even something prehistoric about them.

For me it's a tie between the Amur and the Sri Lankan leopard. These guys are the biggest leopard subspecies, possibly due to being the only leopard that faces no competition from lions or tigers:

srilankan1.png

srilankan2.png
Sri Lankan.jpg

Sri-Lankan-leopard.jpg

They're also gorgeous and strongly in need of conservation. On top of this, their appearance is a good balance between the African and Amur, so players could also makeshift African or Amur leopard habitats in sandbox, by turning off habitat needs and using the Sri Lankan leopard as a substitute.

I love all leopards though, and it would be a pleasant surprise to see any of them in the future. Thoughts? What do you think would be an ideal use of leopards in planet zoo? (if at all)

Attachments

• Amur Leopard.jpg
    Amur Leopard.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
But it might not be Frontier's pick, due to their education and conservation message
More animals don't fit that message - so wouldn't worry about that.

African leopard - Part of the Big 5 (somewhat think that argument has some value)
Amur Leopard - Conservation status is more interesting.

Still in the middle on this one.

This is for the true leopard, panthera pardus, which does not include the clouded leopard. (As much as I love those little guys)

The African leopard is the most famous sub-species within panthera pardus. But it might not be Frontier's pick, due to their education and conservation message. They don't always do things this way, but they've surprised us by choosing species like the Himalayan brown bear, instead of the more famous Russian brown bear or Kodiak bear, and the Formosan black bear instead of North American black bear, and the West African lion instead of East or South African.

That being said, many assume Amur leopard, because of it's critically endangered status. They're also stunningly beautiful:

View attachment 184985
View attachment 184981
View attachment 184988

I love their longer fur, reddish amber tint, and they look remarkable in the snow. There's even something prehistoric about them.

For me it's a tie between the Amur and the Sri Lankan leopard. These guys are the biggest leopard subspecies, possibly due to being the only leopard that faces no competition from lions or tigers:

View attachment 184991
View attachment 184992View attachment 184999
View attachment 184995
They're also gorgeous and strongly in need of conservation. On top of this, their appearance is a good balance between the African and Amur, so players could also makeshift African or Amur leopard habitats in sandbox, by turning off habitat needs and using the Sri Lankan leopard as a substitute.

I love all leopards though, and it would be a pleasant surprise to see any of them in the future. Thoughts? What do you think would be an ideal use of leopards in planet zoo? (if at all)
Really cool pictures there. Thanks for sharing.

I am somewhat leaning towards the African leopard myself, with Amur coming in second place.

I don't think a tropical rainforest leopard would be the ideal choice since we already have the jaguar that gives the same feel, both in terms of coat and habitat type.

More animals don't fit that message - so wouldn't worry about that.

African leopard - Part of the Big 5 (somewhat think that argument has some value)
Amur Leopard - Conservation status is more interesting.

Still in the middle on this one.

Filling out our Africa sections with the Big Five certainly does seem ideal! I totally get what you mean. I remember playing Zoo Tycoon 2 as a kid, and being kinda disappointed the African leopard only came in its black variety. The spotted African leopard is so iconic.

Really cool pictures there. Thanks for sharing.

I am somewhat leaning towards the African leopard myself, with Amur coming in second place.

I don't think a tropical rainforest leopard would be the ideal choice since we already have the jaguar that gives the same feel, both in terms of coat and habitat type.

That's a good point. It also doesn't help that the jaguar's current climbing requirements are so similar to a leopard's.

I would most like to see the Persian leopard, personally. They are quite widely kept in Europe at least (with forty zoos housing them), they are more closely-tied to true deciduous forest habitats than any of the other big cats in the game and, perhaps most notably, there is a reintroduction project currently happening in Western Russia that involves releasing the offspring of zoo-bred leopards; at least one pair of leopards in the Russian breeding centre came from Lisbon Zoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would most like to see the Persian leopard, personally. They are quite widely kept in Europe at least (with forty zoos housing them), they are more closely-tied to true deciduous forest habitats than any of the other big cats in the game and, perhaps most notably, there is a reintroduction project currently happening in Western Russia that involves the releasing the offspring of zoo-bred leopards.
Good reasons. If I had to pick just one leopard I would also pick the Persian leopard (although I would love to see both the African leopard and one Asian leopard). I too prefer species that have an actual presence in the captive population making the Persian or Amur leopard the most obvious choices. One of my primary reasons for liking the Persian is that coat color can range from pale cream to rich gold. I personally prefer the pale coloration, but the gold makes for a more universal "generic" leopard for people to represent whatever subspecies they please. The Persian leopard would also represent a new region in the game (if only Frontier had included the Syrian brown bear, in place of the much maligned Himalayan brown bear...) My other primary reason for not voting for the Amur leopard has been stated more eloquently by others below. But I have to say Frontier does such a terrible job of representing thick or long fur it wouldn't look like an Amur leopard anyway, might as well stick with the slick-coated leopards.

We already have two big cats from the genus Panthera that regularly live in snowy conditions, a third would be too much in my opinion, considering the genus has better representation in the tropics, subtropics and warm temperate zones.

I would also expect the African leopard over Amur or any leopard subspecies/population from tropical Asia since we already have the Siberian tiger and snow leopard to represent cats in the genus Panthera that live in cold climates and the Jaguar for the "spotted jungle cat" category, again from Panthera.

For me it's the Amur all the way, but I would be happy with the Persian as well.

I like the African leopard just fine, but since this thread is about personal choice, the realism aspect is what sells it for me. I've seen Amur leopards in zoos before, and Persian leopards, and I believe I've even seen Indochinese leopards in zoos, but I've never seen an African leopard. While I can understand the appeal of completing the Big Five, if it came down to my choice I'd choose the Amur first.

Also, it's interesting that the Russians are pushing for the conservation of the Persian leopard, since both Russia and China are partly to blame for the dire straits of the Amur leopard. Are there any concerted efforts in Russia to preserve the Amur leopard?

Difficult choice.

The Amur leopard is definetely very iconic and relatively abundant in captivity. However, as mentioned by others, we already have two cats living in somewhat similar biomes so we might end up having a different subspecies. Either the Persian or Sri Lankan would be great additions imo.

Difficult choice.

The Amur leopard is definetely very iconic and relatively abundant in captivity. However, as mentioned by others, we already have two cats living in somewhat similar biomes so we might end up having a different subspecies. Either the Persian or Sri Lankan would be great additions imo.

Personally I'm not concerned about biomes and whatnot. I'd take the Persian, but I'd still prefer the Amur. I'd love to create an "Endangered Cats of the Amur" section like some zoos do, with the Siberian tiger and Amur leopard.

I would prefer the Amur leopard first and Persian leopard second.

I think they have the most interesting conservation message whilst being present in a number of zoos. And as @NZFanatic says, the Amur leopard sits nicely with the Amur tiger and many zoos have them in the same themed area.

Amur or Persian, leaning towards Persian. Arabian would also be nice, but I don't think they are kept in zoos, and Persian could bring the same things to the table. We already have two East Asian cats that live in snowy/taiga habitats, so amur wouldn't be as big of a priority for me, and the jaguar is very similar to a more tropical subspecies, meaning that wouldn't be a priority at all. I'd love to have a big cat that can live in a more arid habitat, that would be nice. I really like the scrubland, "desert-y" feel of Australia.

I know the Maryland zoo has a African Leopard but I too prefer either Amur,Persian,Arabian, or even Indian. Like I said I wouldn’t object a African subspecies but because how uncommon they are in zoos I’d rather have the other 4 or even the Sri Lanka even tho I did read they are the most well off subspecies in terms of numbers.

I would prefer the Amur Leopard but I think a lot of People would also like a tropical/subtropical Leopard, so maybe they should include 2 Subspecies like they did with the Tiger (in the Hope that this wouldn't mean we're getting only 2 Habitat Animals that aren't Leopards in a DLC)

African leopard all the way. If they add on an African pack, I’m hoping the African leopard would be part. I guess after spending 8 weeks in Africa following a particular leopard I’ve just grown attached. And regardless, they are the more well known and popular of the leopard

Top Bottom