What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite

What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite is the tremendous amount of development effort an expansion like this has required, and will require to make it work properly.

I mean, despite its rushed release and its problems, i can't foresee the content of any future expansion to be as time consuming and demanding as this. Not even Earthlikes (i mean, after they did this).

So, i think that once they make Odyssey solid enough, everything in the future will be downhill.

LOL.

In about 6 years, No Man's Sky has put out 17 (FREE) named updates to their game in addition to a slew of patches/fixes between these updates. The additional content it provided was countless. This is from a team of like 30 people!!
I don't think Braben's going to sit in front of Stephen Colbert and lie about how complete and optimised Odssey is to generate the kind of preorders that allow free updates from a tallented but subsequently rather well off team that were able to rebuild their reputation via a passion project.

It would make boring TV

Deleted member 115407

D
What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite is the tremendous amount of development effort an expansion like this has required, and will require to make it work properly.

I mean, despite its rushed release and its problems, i can't foresee the content of any future expansion to be as time consuming and demanding as this. Not even Earthlikes (i mean, after they did this).

So, i think that once they make Odyssey solid enough, everything in the future will be downhill.
Frustrated as I am right now, I am sure things will get better.

I'm so glad my 20 series card runs Odyssey fluidly - I could have wasted thousands!, millions!, of pounds on buying a 3090 to run slower than a 2080S :eek:
I'd ask the folk who claim 20 FPS from a 3090 exactly what resolution they are playing in, it never seems to get mentioned...

Deleted member 115407

D
LOL.

In about 6 years, No Man's Sky has put out 17 (FREE) named updates to their game in addition to a slew of patches/fixes between these updates. The additional content it provided was countless. This is from a team of like 30 people!!

huhn.... I might have to give NMS another try

Your kids might get to play the game you thought you were going to?

There's no atmosphere to speak of, no water, no flowing lava, no clouds, no real flora, no fauna.
Even the ground is still a 1980's hightmap, so you can rule out caves, tunnels and overhangs.

It's just horizons with some assets strewn around.
I agree. If you take a look to the terrain in vr it's flat and smooth like glass. It's like a glass floor with stone effect wallpaper glued on.

This early into NMS launch people were justifiably livid, now are praising it, so the issue seems to be time and patience not dev behavior.

Top Bottom