What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite

I prefer books, but I usually never read them twice (except for the Castaneda books and a few Seth books by Jane Roberts in the far past). The book I'm reading right now is almost 1000 pages (1Q84 by Haruki Murakami). I'd say all these funny comparisons are nice for a party conversation, but otherwise pretty pointless.
Well, you started it with "come back after 10,000+ hrs" - to expect a game to entertain for that long is pretty unrealistic nowadays or anything really, not even sex with the same partner is entertaining enough to last for 10,000+ hrs.

I'm so glad my 20 series card runs Odyssey fluidly - I could have wasted thousands!, millions!, of pounds on buying a 3090 to run slower than a 2080S :eek:
I'd ask the folk who claim 20 FPS from a 3090 exactly what resolution they are playing in, it never seems to get mentioned...
That would be 640 x 480

That would be 640 x 480
I don't even understand why someone would be skeptical of resolution when a person has a 3090. That is basically a card designed explicitly for 4K, and is able to brute force even Cyberpunk 2077 with full Ray Tracing at 4K and get plenty of frames. Therefore there is zero reason a person with a 3090 should be expected to NOT play at 4K in an expansion for a game released in 2014, or to even for a moment be suspicious that they are putting "too much strain" on their 3090.

On a 1060 yeah maybe that suspicion makes sense. But not a 3090.

I don't know what you're talking about. Yesterday evening I played NMS in VR for 1 hour without issues and at the end I was not frustrated like I used to be when playing Odyssey 🤷‍♂️
Oh because an hour is an ample sample?
I played Odyssey for more than an hour without issue, so it must be that we're all imagining things.

NMS solo is boring af, there's literally nothing to do once you reach certain point. So I exclusively play it with friends, now that's where NMS breaks down (the bigger the group the more it breaks down) since the game wasn't designed to be a multiplayer in the first place.
Refiners/cookers glitch out that stuff disappears from them or they start generating materials no matter how many you take out, markers glitch out and start showing wrong destination and entirely wrong icons, base parts start disappearing (doors mostly), ground comes and goes, quests bug out not giving dialogues or markers, etc.

Now let's look at the game design overall, shall we? The ships look horrible, flora and fauna look horrible, planet formation not gonna comment, flight model is inexcusable considering it's a "space" game, NPCs and player races look ridiculous, ingame sounds sound like I mimicked them myself, graphics are just ridiculously bad, majority of quests are just fetch missions with loads of text (living ship is the prime example of "how not to do a mission 101").
6 man team? Yeah you can tell just by the look of the game, without even playing it.

NMS is not comparable to Elite in no way, so stop comparing the two.

Oh because an hour is an ample sample?
I played Odyssey for more than an hour without issue, so it must be that we're all imagining things.
I played Odyssey for the complete alpha test phase (providing feedbacks in the forum) and for one week after release....
I always ended up frustrated.
One hour in NMS after playing Odyssey and I felt satisfied. Odyssey is not for me, in fact I asked and was refunded already.
Consider that I'm not new to NMS as I own it since launch and spent hundreds of hours in the game in these years.

Last edited:
I'm intruding in your discussion just to say that i think the two are not really comparable too.
It depends on what you want to compare:

Game genre: yes, both space games with bilions of star systems, landable planets, flyable ships and on foot gameplay.
Bugs/issues: yes, they've been both updated recently
Game tech: partially (planetary tech, biodiversity, procedural generation can be compared). Color palette is different as NMS is inspired by 70's sci-fi and ED uses more realistic colors.
Gameplay: partially. Exploration yes (scan and find interesting planets with life and various landscapes), flight dynamics and fps game loops no.

It depends on what you want to compare:

Game genre: yes, both space games with bilions of star systems, landable planets, flyable ships and on foot gameplay.
Bugs/issues: yes, they've been both updated recently
Game tech: partially (planetary tech, biodiversity, procedural generation can be compared). Color palette is different as NMS is inspired by 70's sci-fi and ED uses more realistic colors.
Gameplay: partially. Exploration yes (scan and find interesting planets with life and various landscapes), flight dynamics and fps game loops no.
As a game maybe, as development, i really think ED is far more complex.

Nothing. I played about 3 days of Odyssey and remembered why I stopped playing in 2017. I'm actively hoping that Fdev abandons Elite Dangerous, and starts a new Elite game from scratch. You know, one with a wholistic design philosophy, that adheres to the game lore. I'd invite them to re-read the DDF for ideas on what that game could be like.

Nothing. I played about 3 days of Odyssey and remembered why I stopped playing in 2017. I'm actively hoping that Fdev abandons Elite Dangerous, and starts a new Elite game from scratch. You know, one with a wholistic design philosophy, that adheres to the game lore. I'd invite them to re-read the DDF for ideas on what that game could be like.
What makes you think that starting from scratch wouldn't end up exactly in what we have now?

What makes you think that starting from scratch wouldn't end up exactly in what we have now?
Because they have what we have now as a base to work from. For example, there's no way the inventory system in the game would pass design if it wasn't stitched together like it is.

NMS is not comparable to Elite in no way, so stop comparing the two.

I'm intruding in your discussion just to say that i think the two are not really comparable too.
Why not compare them guys? Are they both not games? Set in space? Released not too long ago?

In all seriousness, you are both right, I agree you can't compare ED to NMS. One releases update after update, without charging, adding interesting gameplay for years on a 20~30 person team. The other charges full AAA price for DLC Early Access, without even labeling it as such on a 100+ team. Unfair comparison.

huhn.... I might have to give NMS another try
Try as u might that nonexistent flight model, cartoon look and ship shapes in general will seep in and start tickling your disgust....

Then you'll return to forums dangerous with epithets aimed at frontier for making you take that journey.

You'll have +3 damage added to your remarks. You'll have thargoid resistant oneliners, corrosive retorts, small seismic anecdotes, bgs braben busters, community managed landmines, g5 side eyes.....
....Right before they try to ban you bcuz the truth hurts release your experimental mod chaffs!

One releases update after update, without charging,
You mean adding stuff where there used to be absolutely nothing before, yeah they're just still making the game. You could say the game is in early access since 2016.
adding interesting gameplay for years
I think that's fairly subjective, I haven't seen "interesting" or "gameplay" for many updates now
on a 20~30 person team
Yeah you can tell, the game looks and sounds like it was made by even less than that

The other charges full AAA price for DLC Early Access
I do agree with this, but it's overall gamers fault this became a thing in gaming industry. But I agree, that shoulnd't be a thing.

It would take FDEV five years at least to make a new Elite game. Apart from that you don't put out something like Odissey if you are thinking of doing a new game in the same franchise.

While i somehow share your hopes i don't think it's realistic in the short term.

We'll have to endure this and hope it will be fixed to Horizon levels.

Top Bottom