What semi-aquatic animals do you think Frontier should prioritize if they add more?

Now, I'd find it really weird if they didn't add a couple more pinnipeds. Just one random seal in the game would be... awkward. I believe the NA pack is coming, but I don't believe the rumors that the NA pack is going to be a fully aquatic pack.

But I am hoping it's an 8 animal pack, so it can include a nice mix of aquatic and terrestrial animals. Most of the aquatic animals I want can be found in NA. (Sea lion, walrus, elephant seal, manatee, sea otter, beaver, pelican, swan, alligator, and the snapping turtle.)

I'm curious which animals the rest of you would prioritize? Like, if we got an otter, would you prefer the North American river otter or sea otter? (I prefer the latter because it's the most different from the otter we already have, and it's the quintessential "cute" otter I believe most people think of.) Or how about walrus vs elephant seal? (Walruses are more iconic, but elephant seals are cooler if you ask me.) These are the ones I think we need at least ONE of, but would be hard to pick.

I'm also curious which semi-aquatic animals from anywhere else you feel have been sorely left out. For me it's the platypus.

Basically you summed up the ones I would like the most - sea lions, beavers.. For the otter, I too would like to see the sea otter, because they are the most different looking ones, but my bet is on the NA River otter. Platypus would be also very unique and awesome!
photo_l.jpg

I somewhat doubt we will get a manatee, since I would consider it fully aquatic, but who knows, weirder things happened before.

I somewhat doubt we will get a manatee, since I would consider it fully aquatic, but who knows, weirder things happened before.
I agree, I'd be really surprised to see it in-game. I just thought I'd mention it to highlight how much NA has to offer. Personally I'd be more stoked to see more pinnipeds anyway, though it would be a cool addition.

The manatee is really the only fully aquatic species they could reasonably include, IMO, but I doubt we'll see it.

My otter pick is the Asian small-clawed otter every time, but if it's between the North American river otter or sea otter, I'm picking the sea otter. I'd also pick the walrus over the elephant seal - the only elephant seals in captivity are rescues, and are most often only temporary residents of their respective zoos, so it wouldn't be particularly realistic to include the animal in the game. There are a few places with walruses, though.

As for the NA Aquatic Pack leak, I'd take the alligator and the sea lion. As I said, the NA river otter isn't the otter I want, and the beaver isn't something I particularly care about if we get it or not. For other semi-aquatics, the capybara is an obvious one that ought to be in the game, and I'd like to see the leopard seal as an oddball choice (only Taronga Zoo has ever permanently had them, but in that case it's a bit like the Sumatran rhinoceros in terms of rarity). I'd also like more penguins, particularly the little blue, southern rockhopper, and gentoo (a number of zoos and aquaria mix the gentoos and kings together, which is something I'd like to mimic in-game).

For me the sea lion is the aquatic animal that is a must have and it should be prioritized not only among the aquatic animals but all the animals in general.

For the otters, I wouldn't mind any of the two. The sea otter is more different, but the river otter is more similar to the Eurasian otter and could be used as such. However, I prefer to have the Asian small clawed otter or the Eurasian otter because we already have an American otter, so let's get more aquatic animals from the old world.

And between the elephant seal and the walrus, I want the walrus. No doubts here.

The California sea lion is maybe my most wanted animal period at this point, with the capybara close behind. They're both very popular picks in general, so I'd be surprised if we didn't end up getting both of them before it's over.

I think the American alligator will quite possibly end up getting prioritized as well, but if I had to guess that's probably it for crocodilians (shame, I've really come around on the Nile crocodile and false gharial lately).

A second smaller otter seems like a real possibility as well, especially in the wake of our second penguin. The Asian small-clawed otter is obviously the frontrunner in popularity, but I'll always support the North American river otter out of personal attachment.

A third penguin is a bigger maybe, but I'd love even more variety given how many zoos/aquariums I've been to that house two or three different species together. My money as well as preference would be on a rockhopper or macaroni, if it happens. Right now I'm leaning towards "probably not," though.

Walrus would be cool, but I don't think I can see us getting a third pinniped (assuming that the sea lion is a relatively safe bet).

The beaver does absolutely nothing for me. It feels pretty mundane, even compared to similarly local fauna. Despite that, they aren't something I see now and then in the wild (which further endears me to, for example, raccoons, foxes, opossums, armadillos, and coyotes) and they aren't housed at any nearby zoos (which is where much of my support for NA river otters comes from) so they're stuck in some weird limbo of being slightly uninteresting with no personal connections to help them overcome that fact. I wouldn't be upset at all if they're added, but I also kind of hope they aren't.

I really want to see the alligator snapping turtle get added, but something tells me that Frontier would take the easier route and toss it in the exhibit tank if it does. They're a contentious pick regardless, so more likely than not I can see them avoiding them altogether. Shame, it'd be arguably our most unique remaining option for a habitat reptile species. But I also can't deny that there are far more active and charismatic options for aquatic species, which naturally tends to translate into more fun.

Manatees I just don't see period. They'd require an awful lot of additional programming that would probably never get to get used again, which feels like too much of an investment for what seems like only a moderately popular species.

Sea lions would be a great addition however I think the most important to add is the capybara and a semi-aquatic pack would be an ideal fit for it.

More otters are always nice and I wouldn't mind a beaver - although my preference would be the European beaver in celebration of the success of reintroduction programs.

I'm going with a selection of 8 semi-aquatic animals because I feel like it.

1. California Sea Lion
2. Capybara
3. North American Beaver
4. Asian Small-Clawed Otter
5. American Alligator
6. Platypus
7. Walrus
8. Little Blue Penguin
I would sign this. I would exchange the little blue penguin with the golden crested penguin. But that is just my personal preference.

My core wishes:

A beaver would be great. For me the Eurasian and North American species are so close in appearance that I don't mind which we get.

Ideally three otters, a Eurasian or North American (hate to admit it but the North American is cuter here. In an ideal world I would have both but not sure that is realistic), Asian small-clawed - so common in zoos - and a sea otter. Sea otter is the least important for me.

Capybara. Obviously.

California sea lion. Iconic zoo animal.

Little blue penguin. Very helpful in making realistic Australian and New Zealand zoos.

Otherwise I would say maybe a walrus, although that isn't a priority. And spotted seals are very likeable and would be a bonus for my Japanese zoo. I wouldn't want an elephant seal as they so rarely appear in zoos.

Last edited:
Yeah but they were permanent residents. All the elephant seals I've looked up were returned to the wild.
Pittsburgh has two rescue elephant seals that stay there permanently. There was also a male that died. But along with the leopard seal it isn't a priority for me as it's quite unusual for this to happen.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4be-HZOoAU

I'm going with a selection of 8 semi-aquatic animals because I feel like it.

1. California Sea Lion
2. Capybara
3. North American Beaver
4. Asian Small-Clawed Otter
5. American Alligator
6. Platypus
7. Walrus
8. Little Blue Penguin
If i had to pick my list would be very similar except for the little blue penguin - maybe another seal ?
(another penguin would be a bit too much imo)

I would say that they should focus on a adding 2 more pinnipeds, 1 more otter, and 2 rodents:

1. California sea lion - not my personal choice, but they are common in zoos
  2. North American otter or Asian small-clawed otter - either one will do, in my opinion
  3. Capybara - no point arguing here
  4. American or Eurasian beaver - both look almost identical, so it doesn't matter
  5. Walrus or fur seals - either is fine. I'm not sure which fur seal species can be housed in captivity, though

Looking at this pack, I can actually see an America's animal pack featuring at least 1 representative of each of these (like the rumoured NA aquatic pack, only this'll feature both North and South America)

Afterwards, a 3rd penguin, a 4th crocodile would be nice, maybe a 2nd seal

Before I list my most wanted semi-aquatic animals, worth noting Lion Rider made a YT video about how and why that 4chan leak is 90% false, which as someone who really wants North America to get an animals only pack, makes me pretty happy.

Anywho, my number #1 semi-aquatic animal is easily the California sea lion. It's a pretty iconic NA animal, and AFAIK is the most widely displayed pinniped in captivity. It's a good excuse to add more marine plants to the game (really hoping for sea grass and giant kelp). The animations in the water would be a ton of fun to watch, and I'm sure there would be some great enrichment animations as well.

For #2 I'd go with the capybara, an animal that should've either been in the base game or SA pack. It won't truly feel like PZ is a great zoo sim without a few specific species, and this is definitely one of them.

At #3 I'd have to say American alligator, for a combined similar reasoning between the first two options.

Lastly for #4 it's a three way tie between the fairy/little blue penguin, rockhopper penguin and Asian small-clawed otter, because I liked all of them equally, and think all three would be good additions.

I strongly believe we’ll get another otter and another penniped. After all we got s second penguin already. California sea lion is a must, and I’d prefer the Asian Small Clawed Otter but if we got a River otter from Europe or North America I’d be content. I do not think we’ll get a third of an otter, penguin or penniped.

The Capybara is heavily requested and I do think they’ll get it in somehow. American Alligator and some kind of beaver also have a good chance. Unfortunately due to the uniqueness of the Platypus I am not very confident they’ll make it in, for a variety of reasons.

I’d like to see the Harp seal, leopard seal and Walrus as well but I’m not very hopeful

Top Bottom