What ship for solo thargoid combat

I was thinking of having a go at the thargoids however the people I used to play with have all quit so winging up is not an option.
What kind of ship do you need to solo a cyclops.
Does it have to be T10 anaconda cutter to have a chance or is a Python good enough.
Is it doable or will I just die a lot.

O7

Depends on your piloting skills I would say. I'm a not-so-stellar pilot and therefore I use a fully G5 engineered Anaconda to get the task reliably done.
Before that, I had a FGS (also fully G5 engineered) and I didn't even came close.

edit: Python has no 6D fighter bay which makes the fight really a lot more easy.

Last edited:
Depends on your piloting skills I would say. I'm a not-so-stellar pilot and therefore I use a fully G5 engineered Anaconda to get the task reliably done.
Before that, I had a FGS (also fully G5 engineered) and I didn't even came close.

edit: Python has no 6D fighter bay which makes the fight really a

Why is it better without the 6d fighter

I plan to go against cyclops in FGS but i got some experience flying anaconda , in smaller ship than one of big 3 you will most likely have hard time learning.

edit: Python has no 6D fighter bay which makes the fight really a

Why is it better without the 6d fighter

When you have a fighter out, the Thargon swarm chases it, and it's very hard to destroy with flak. When you don't have a fighter, the swarm flies straight at you and is quite easy to take out with 2-4 flak shots once you get the timing right.

The Thargoid also flies towards you without getting distracted, which makes it easier to hit the hearts. You just need to be able to survive everything the Thargoid throws at you for long enough.

If you don't know what you are doing then a Type-10 maxed out at 660 mill will get you into the game giving you time to understand why you are losing and run away. If you have great combat skills, can quickly make adjustments to a Thargoid fight then any of the big three (Anaconda, Corvette or Cutter) will give you an advantage. May I suggest teaming with others until you get the solo skills to go one-on-one with a Thargoid. There are lots of YouTube vidoes before you commit your hard earned credits. I love the Internet.

a Type-10 maxed out at 660 mill will get you into the game giving you time to understand why you are losing and run away.

I hope this was in jest, as you have no chance of running away in the T10 - even fully Engineered...

Best ship is the Anaconda, there are numerous threads and videos for builds and tatics.

Yeah t10 for beginner is imo not best choice , Anaconda give best firepower and awesome balance of other stats , very good armor , not bad maneuverability and still quite good shields .

When you have a fighter out, the Thargon swarm chases it, and it's very hard to destroy with flak. When you don't have a fighter, the swarm flies straight at you and is quite easy to take out with 2-4 flak shots once you get the timing right.

The Thargoid also flies towards you without getting distracted, which makes it easier to hit the hearts. You just need to be able to survive everything the Thargoid throws at you for long enough.

Thanks for the info I had no idea

I use an Anaconda that is standard except for G3 Dirty Drives.

Loadout is 4x C3 AX Multicannons, 2x Remote Flak, AX SLF Hangar (2 slots, Dangerous NPC pilot), Xeno Scanner, Shutdown Field Neutraliser. Rest of the ship is filled with HRPs (total hull strength 3250 or so) and 2 MRPs. Shield strength is 1070 (7A Shield Gen + 4 boosters) with 2 6A Shield cells and 2 Heat Sinks.

If I don't make mistakes I win with around 50% hull left and all modules around 90%. If I fail to dodge the Thatgoid's lightning weapon too often some modules will be around 30% and malfuctioning. I only engaged Cyclopses so far. I think a Basilisk is too much for this configuration but I'm going to try anyway.

I hi-wake out when my hull goes below 30% and by the time the FSD is charged hull is around 25% at worse. Hull strength goes down at quite a steady rate while fighting so the point at which to wake out (30% hull) can be seen coming well in advance.

It can be done, of course but simply it will require a lot more skill than going in in for example Anaconda , more armor, more shields and more firepower means you can make few mistakes more before you run away/lose your ship

I hope this was in jest, as you have no chance of running away in the T10 - even fully Engineered...

Best ship is the Anaconda, there are numerous threads and videos for builds and tatics.
For you, maybe. I tried soloing Cyclopses in my flagship Anaconda many times and always had to retreat after 3 hearts. Then I took my T-10 on a shakedown cruise and soloed a Cyclops on the first go with no issues whatsoever. That extra hull HP makes all the difference.

Extra hp make difference and it doesn't , if you are highly mobile kill swarm fast, evade big hits , boost away after klilling the heart and stay away from "dark side of the force lightning atacks" when panic shields are up that extra HP means nothing . Yes t10 is slightly better at brute force aproach but if you manage to zip around and retreat when Thargoid is strongest you can manage with shields up all the fight and 70% or more armor with very minor module damage.

Yes t10 is slightly better at brute force aproach but if you manage to zip around and retreat when Thargoid is strongest you can manage with shields up all the fight and 70% or more armor with very minor module damage.
That’s about how it went for me in the T-10 (67% hull, modules in the 90% range, most at 100%, shields ok, still plenty of ammo remaining). I was able to keep it in my sights just fine, and dealt with the swarm with the triple flak cannons.

Don’t get me wrong, I ADORE my Anaconda. She’s been my flagship for over a year now, and I’ve logged hundreds of combat hours in her. That being said though, when fighting an enemy that will always be able to outmaneuver you and cut through your shields, having an extra 1000-2000 armor makes the whole fight much easier and quicker. I didn’t waste time dodging shots, I just powered through them and kept shooting.

Damage trough shields is minimal , after some time i simply started to get as much shields i can get . As long as you have shields most of Thargoid atacks are not dangerous and hull damage is minimal , and there is no module damage. Even Conda with 2 tiny 6b SCB can keep them up for most of the fight . And currently i fly a Cutter, just for lolz and ability to engeage and disengeage at will , and i have only 3700 hull , but shields (only 7A with g4 mod) are close to 4500 , never lost them and i end up with around 80% hull all the time :p

Damage trough shields is minimal , after some time i simply started to get as much shields i can get . As long as you have shields most of Thargoid atacks are not dangerous and hull damage is minimal , and there is no module damage. Even Conda with 2 tiny 6b SCB can keep them up for most of the fight . And currently i fly a Cutter, just for lolz and ability to engeage and disengeage at will , and i have only 3700 hull , but shields (only 7A with g4 mod) are close to 4500 , never lost them and i end up with around 80% hull all the time :p
That’s why my T-10 has a class 8A SCB and 5 HDSBs. I also use a class-7A G5 reinforced shield, which actually has a pretty decent recharge rate. My shields only dropped once in the fight, but the Cyclops did very little damage during the recharge time thanks to the two MRPs I had.

Top Bottom