What ship for solo thargoid combat

In general, SLF's are not really useful against Interceptors, we often take them only into CZ's to make them kill Scouts and conserve some Gauss ammo. FGS and Type-10 are terrible anti-Interceptor ships. FGS flies like a big ship -slow and not maneuverable-, and has all the disadvantages of mediums, not tanky like Corvette or Cutter. And Type-10 is "I don't know what the hell were you thinking when you built that" ship.

Your post includes a lot of great inputs but I don't agree regarding FGS, Type 10 and SLFs:
  • Based on my solo experience SLFs are great to decimate scouts and as a good distraction for Interceptors. They also help to bring the hull down in AX CZs to save ammo
  • Not sure how you can find such negative words regarding the FGS, one of the best combat ships in this game. FGS fully upgraded doesn't fly like a big ship… it feels very agile. It has brilliant firepower, is very tanky, flies great if you know the flight model. It could use a small speed buff but with around 420 m/s it's still ok against Cyclops. That's actually the only disavantage I see. Else it's brilliant…
  • Also the type10 is not that bad in AX CZs with 7D repair limpeds and 8 Bi-Weave etc... it just depends what you want to achieve (e.g. support role, decimate scouts etc.). The Anaconda also feels like a brick and is not that much faster. Not sure why it always only receives love...

Your post includes a lot of great inputs but I don't agree regarding FGS, Type 10 and SLFs:
  • Based on my solo experience SLFs are great to decimate scouts and as a good distraction for Interceptors. They also help to bring the hull down in AX CZs to save ammo
  • Not sure how you can find such negative words regarding the FGS, one of the best combat ships in this game. FGS fully upgraded doesn't fly like a big ship… it feels very agile. It has brilliant firepower, is very tanky, flies great if you know the flight model. It could use a small speed buff but with around 420 m/s it's still ok against Cyclops. That's actually the only disavantage I see. Else it's brilliant…
  • Also the type10 is not that bad in AX CZs with 7D repair limpeds and 8 Bi-Weave etc... it just depends what you want to achieve (e.g. support role, decimate scouts etc.). The Anaconda also feels like a brick and is not that much faster. Not sure why it always only receives love...
  • SLFs are useful in CZs like I said in the post you quoted :D But they don't distract Interceptors anymore but they get aggro from the swarm and die quickly, yes they deal some damage but not enough to really wortt. I used one on one of the terrible AX ships in my "meme-ish" 100% kill:
    Source: https://youtu.be/iQjyU-59UpA
    The idea is you can make everything work, but there are some (much) better ships/methods out there, also applies for FGS.
  • Type 10 can be useful in CZs, like Anaconda as you said. Again, in CZs. I wrote that post for soloing Interceptors, not for wings in CZs.
  • Type 10 can kill a Hydra:
    Source: https://youtu.be/_YkuqJOs3rc
    , as demonstrated by one of our greatest pilots (for show off), but good luck doing that for yourself :D

Thanks for clarification. Fully agree.

Wow Type10 killing Hydra... that's insane.

What's your oppinion regarding the FDS? I started using it again yesterday and was very surprised to read that the first Cyclops kill was with FDS and also there the first Hydra solo was with it (Rinzler). Speed should be sufficient for everything except Basilisk and the hull is Incredible.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarification. Fully agree.

Wow Type10 killing Hydra... that's insane.

What's your oppinion regarding the FDS? I started using it again yesterday and was very surprised to read that the first Cyclops kill was with FDS and also there the first Hydra solo was with it (Rinzler). Speed should be sufficient for everything except Basilisk and the hull is Incredible.
I was thinking of building one, looks decent on the paper, but I went with a FAS instead. With 580 m/s boost FAS :D I usually fly a Corvette in CZ's, FAS is just for an occasional fun.

That is a very nice video! Also like your hud colour setup, mind to share it?
XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> 0, 0.3, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0.85 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

Gonna try listing pros and cons:
Krait: Pros: Fighter bay, can mount 4x medium Gauss + 1 Flak, is fast and has decent hull. Cons: Not much Utility, only 5 hardpoints.
Cutter: Pros: Big ship with lots of Utility mounts, fighter bay, can mount 4x medium Gauss + 2x Flak + 1 Huge Thermal Vent Beam for cooling, can still make 500+m/s Cons: Turns slow, costs a lot.
Chieftain: Looks cool af, can outrun Basilisk, decent hull. Cons: Can at max mount 2x medium Gauss + 1x Flak + 2x small Gauss <- less DPS, no fighter bay.
Corvette: Pros: High Armour, good turn rate, fighter bay, lots of Utility. Cons: Very Slow, Hardpoints not optimal (Huge ones are a bit of a waste + 2 smalls)
FDL: Pros: Fast, can mount 4x Medium Gauss + 1 Flak, 6 Utility Slots. Cons: Is a shieldtank… no fighter bay.
Challenger: Pros: Very good Armour for a medium ship, can mount 3x medium + 1x small Gauss + 1 Flak, Speed is okay but not enough for Basilisk. Cons: No fighter bay, less dps than Krait/FDL
FAS: Pros: Good Armour and Speed. Cons: No fighter bay, can only mount 3x medium Gauss if you want a Flak.
FGS: Pros: Very good Armour, Fighter bay, can mount 4x medium Gauss + Flak. Cons: Slower Speed and turn rate.
Type 10: Pros: Best Armour and DAKKA in the game, fighter bay. Cons: Slow, bad turn rate, poopoo hardpoint placement.

You can correct me on these or make additions if you want.
FYI, I only put 3 gauss cannons on my Krait and FDL. You generally don't need 4 gauss cannons to kill the weaker interceptors solo. It's also a lot less heat intensive using 3 gauss canons over 4. You generally don't use Kraits or FDLs for soloing anything above Basilisks but they can be good for fighting the higher ranked interceptors in groups.

As for the FDL. You can build it to be a hull tank while still having good shielding. I found I had plenty of armor for fighting cyclops and basilisks.

I also wouldn't consider a fighter bay a plus. Just an additional option for fighting Thargoids. I only really found the fighters useful for taking out scouts. Otherwise, I found it better to just get another hull reinforcement module instead.

Of the medium ships, I found the Krait to be the best.

Last edited:
You generally don't use Kraits or FDLs for soloing anything above Basilisks
I agree with most but I have to disagree here. They both are great high tier anti-Interceptor ships while Krait being my #1 recommendation for Hydra solo (followed by Chieftain).

FYI, I only put 3 gauss cannons on my Krait and FDL. You generally don't need 4 gauss cannons to kill the weaker interceptors solo. It's also a lot less heat intensive using 3 gauss canons over 4. You generally don't use Kraits or FDLs for soloing anything above Basilisks but they can be good for fighting the higher ranked interceptors in groups.

As for the FDL. You can build it to be a hull tank while still having good shielding. I found I had plenty of armor for fighting cyclops and basilisks.

I also wouldn't consider a fighter bay a plus. Just an additional option for fighting Thargoids. I only really found the fighters useful for taking out scouts. Otherwise, I found it better to just get another hull reinforcement module instead.

Of the medium ships, I found the Krait to be the best.

Well in this thread you already have at least two participants who have soloed all kinds of interceptors in Krait II. Tell me again how Krait II is useless for soloing interceptors above the Basilisk :D

I agree with most but I have to disagree here. They both are great high tier anti-Interceptor ships while Krait being my #1 recommendation for Hydra solo (followed by Chieftain).
True but I think it's only the top tier players that are able to handle a Hydra solo in smaller ships. Hell handling a Hydra solo in a big ship is really hard to pull off as well.

For most people, I imagine if they are able to able to solo the bigger interceptors in anything than one of the Big 3. My friends and I can't even solo Medusa interceptors even in big ships so I imagine a lot of people are in similar shape as well.

True but I think it's only the top tier players that are able to handle a Hydra solo in smaller ships. Hell handling a Hydra solo in a big ship is really hard to pull off as well.

For most people, I imagine if they are able to able to solo the bigger interceptors in anything than one of the Big 3. My friends and I can't even solo Medusa interceptors even in big ships so I imagine a lot of people are in similar shape as well.

With the exception of the Cutter, large ships actually aren’t notably better than the meta medium AX ships. It’s just two different flying styles. Medium ships rely on speed and agility to avoid damage entirely while big ships rely on their bulk to facetank through the fight. Big ships allow you to pull off faster kills while medium/small ships allow you to pull off higher hull percentage finishes.

You generally don't use Kraits or FDLs for soloing anything above Basilisks but they can be good for fighting the higher ranked interceptors in groups.

That is just blatantly false. I dare saying 8 out of 10 people submitting kills at AXI do it in a Krait. Medusae, Basilisks, even Hydras. There's a reason we call it the meta ship..
And yes, killing a Hydra requires a ton of practice and dedication, still, most of them are done in the Krait.

I personally prefer a shieldless FAS though. The fact that I need 4 boosts to reach top speed cracks me off.

To deliver something of use to the OP, here's a hydra proof FAS build and a suggested Krait build

FAS: https://s.orbis.zone/39gt <- Fly it aggressively, use your heatsinks and the LE-Power Plant to stay cool so the goid misses you when pulling an orbit
Meta-Krait: https://s.orbis.zone/39gu

Last edited:
Well....last night, while playing chase with Tharogid Scouts, I achieved Triple Elite....

I just want to say thanks to all who helped with ship and strategy advice. I haven't lost a ship since about 20% Deadly status.

Now, I guess I have to figure out how to help kill the interceptors. I've hung out after they have come in a few times and even tried attacking them (the don't move as quick so they're easy to shot with the Gauss cannon), but each time, the flying arms of death came after me and even with the engineered HRPs, I still took a beating so it was time to get out of dodge.

anyway, again, just wanted to say thanks for the assist!

To deliver something of use to the OP, here's a hydra proof FAS build and a suggested Krait build
FAS: https://s.orbis.zone/39gt <- Fly it aggressively, use your heatsinks and the LE-Power Plant to stay cool so the goid misses you when pulling an orbit
Meta-Krait: https://s.orbis.zone/39gu
Meanwhile me having returned to the bubble and finally solo-killed a cyclops (1st try, yay, video will follow later), I got questions for that Krait build.
The shields are thicker but slower than what I use on my Chieftain, how do you get the shields back up if they go down? Reboot/Repair? I'm afraid of staying out of the goid's range for too long and risking the enrage if I don't manage to kill the next heart in time.

Meanwhile me having returned to the bubble and finally solo-killed a cyclops (1st try, yay, video will follow later), I got questions for that Krait build.
The shields are thicker but slower than what I use on my Chieftain, how do you get the shields back up if they go down? Reboot/Repair? I'm afraid of staying out of the goid's range for too long and risking the enrage if I don't manage to kill the next heart in time.

I’m actually not sure why that Krait build isn’t running a Bi-weave. The meta repair limpet AX Krait build shouldn’t be running a standard shield. Fencer’s good at this stuff, though, so I don’t wanna say that build is wrong as there may be something he knows that I’m not picking up on. Regardless, here’s the build from AXI’s AX Flight Manual: https://s.orbis.zone/3985

And why is having more options not a plus?

Because you’re replacing something equally, arguably even more useful to fit it on your ship. It’s a tossup really. In AXCZs it’s kinda useful but in a solo you’re better off just using a HRP in that slot instead.

I’m actually not sure why that Krait build isn’t running a Bi-weave. The meta repair limpet AX Krait build shouldn’t be running a standard shield. Fencer’s good at this stuff, though, so I don’t wanna say that build is wrong as there may be something he knows that I’m not picking up on. Regardless, here’s the build from AXI’s AX Flight Manual: https://s.orbis.zone/3985
Hm, still over 2 minutes to get shields back. And with the repair limpets I see it is made to stay away for a while. Do you repair while flak-ing the swarm while you're out of it's firing range?

2 minutes is a no time at all. It takes a Thargoid 7 minutes to enrage and that timer is reset every time you kill a heart. The idea is to never let the shields break at all if you can help it by chaining heat sinks to keep your heat low and cause the Thargoid to miss its shots. Your shields will recharge enough between hearts that they’ll be ready to go by the time you’ve killed the swarm and are ready to engage the next heart. And yeah you use the limpets between heart attack runs if you even need to.

For me the game has changed since advanced weapons arrived. Your advanced weapons do not count towards the max of 4 x AX weapons that you are allowed. But you have to source the materials in order to reconfigure the ammo to anti-AX. That can take a few play sessions just scudding around planet surfaces in your fun buggy.
My favourite weapon against the Cyclops is the Guardian Shard Cannon. A great, short range shock weapon. About 1.5km max range.
But the cyclops also likes to do long range engagement and will fly away to maybe 4 kms or more whilst still shooting.
I found that very frustrating, so I got myself 4 x advanced m/c s and engineered them for long range.
Now if you reconfigure the ammo for anti-ax by using your synthesis facilities you can continue to give him the bad news beyond 1.5kms. Up to 8 kms in fact. With no damage fall off.
Furthermore,you can have the shard cannon and the advance m/c s. All your weapons in fact on the A trigger. So repeated pulls of trigger is Guardian Shard Cannon. But whilst GSC is reloading or out of range, you can just hold down the A trigger and let the AMCs continue firing.
That way, you can have the shut down neutralizer, in the same group as the weapons on the pinkie-switch trigger. So as soon as you see the bug go cyan, hit the pinkie trigger.
It's working well for me.

Top Bottom