What ship for solo thargoid combat

So I don't know if I'm just not using the right weapons or perhaps the game is flawed but I ran into a group of Thargoid Scouts today (solo play) I have 4 1A pulse lasers and level 2 seeker missiles. There were only 4 scouts so I figured I would take them on. It didn't appear I did any damage to them. I would pick a scout, hang on to him and hammer the crap out of it with lasers and then launch missiles when I got lock. Missiles just vanished right before impact and my ship system couldn't even tell what I was shooting at, let alone if I was hitting it. After several minutes of chasing them around trying to kill one my shields were down and I was starting to lose more hull so I booked high wake. What kind of weapons will actually damage them?
AX Weapons and Guardian weapons deal a ton of damage to them, but human weapons should be able to damage scouts too (interceptors not so much). It's not recommended to use human ones though.

Same problem in my Challenger (why I went back for my T10), only more so, and without the beefy shields, and no SLF :(
I guess I'll have to get some guards.
"Personal narrative"?
SLF's are not really useful unless you're having someone in multicrew with you and are using the Guardian Lance fighter. They don't draw aggro anymore to distract the goid.
If you really want the easy mode, go in a Cutter with prismatic shields, you can facetank a Cyclops completely with it, Basilisk also pretty much, Medusa might require some tactics (have to test that but need to build it first).

So I don't know if I'm just not using the right weapons or perhaps the game is flawed but I ran into a group of Thargoid Scouts today (solo play) I have 4 1A pulse lasers and level 2 seeker missiles. There were only 4 scouts so I figured I would take them on. It didn't appear I did any damage to them. I would pick a scout, hang on to him and hammer the crap out of it with lasers and then launch missiles when I got lock. Missiles just vanished right before impact and my ship system couldn't even tell what I was shooting at, let alone if I was hitting it. After several minutes of chasing them around trying to kill one my shields were down and I was starting to lose more hull so I booked high wake. What kind of weapons will actually damage them?

It's your weapons. You're running a basic PvE setup and are wholly unequipped for AX combat of any kind. Thargoid Scouts have a 77% damage resistance to non-AX/Guardian weapons, Interceptors (the big guys) have a 99.9% resistance to non-AX/Guardian weapons, and lock on missiles just don't work at all against them. You essentially brought a butter knife to a gun fight, so don't get discouraged because this is an easy fix. For Scouts the easiest weapon setup to kill them with is 4 of the largest turreted AX Multi Cannons you can fit and if you have any remaining hardpoint slots fill them with regular gimballed Multi Cannons engineered for Overcharged + Autoloader or Oversized. To make the turrets work make sure to set your turret mode to "Target Only" and then try to stick as close as possible to the Scout you have targeted while laying on the trigger to fire the gimballed MCs alongside your turrets. If you do it right, you should melt it within seconds with no problems!

Last edited:
I managed to escape once. Died the second time.

Help please? I have an almost fully engineered T10 with AX multicannons and missiles, also engineered packhounds & seekers, a SLF taipan with AX M/Cs, 2 5B SCBs and I can't make a dent in a threat level 5 thargoid. Whenever I cause damage they just regenerate immediately. I can't stay close enough for long enough to xeno scan them so I can't target the hearts.
Now going to raise a glass or two to my dead crewmember. :cry:

PS. No guardian tech or prismatics I haven't gone there yet.

Are you still interested in fixing this issue? Because I can help, but we're gonna have to go back to the drawing board for this one.If you're fine with starting from scratch though then I'm happy to help.

It's your weapons. You're running a basic PvE setup and are wholly unequipped for AX combat of any kind. Thargoid Scouts have a 77% damage resistance to non-AX/Guardian weapons, Interceptors (the big guys) have a 99.9% resistance to non-AX/Guardian weapons, and lock on missiles just don't work at all against them. You essentially brought a butter knife to a gun fight, so don't get discouraged because this is an easy fix. For Scouts the easiest weapon setup to kill them with is 4 of the largest turreted AX Multi Cannons you can fit and if you have any remaining hardpoint slots fill them with regular gimballed Multi Cannons engineered for Overcharged + Autoloader or Oversized. To make the turrets work make sure to set your turret mode to "Target Only" and then try to stick as close as possible to the Scout you have targeted while laying on the trigger to fire the gimballed MCs alongside your turrets. If you do it right, you should melt it within seconds with no problems!

I thought it had tgo be something like that. Where does one get AX or Guardian weapons? I've never seen them in any station.

I thought it had tgo be something like that. Where does one get AX or Guardian weapons? I've never seen them in any station.
Guardian weapons, you grab a bunch of guardian materials and other bits and bobs, then go visit a guardian tech broker to unlock the items. You can then purchase them (forever) from outfitting at that station.

AX weapons can be bought without any work from most surface military installations (note: that link is just for one weapon type) or from Shinrarta Dehzra Founders World. TBH, AX weapons are somewhat inferior to guardian weapons, but things like Anti Xeno Shutdown Fields and Research Scanners are good to have.

Guardian weapons, you grab a bunch of guardian materials and other bits and bobs, then go visit a guardian tech broker to unlock the items. You can then purchase them (forever) from outfitting at that station.

AX weapons can be bought without any work from most surface military installations (note: that link is just for one weapon type) or from Shinrarta Dehzra Founders World. TBH, AX weapons are somewhat inferior to guardian weapons, but things like Anti Xeno Shutdown Fields and Research Scanners are good to have.

Guardian weapons (specifically Gauss Cannons) are much better than AX Weapons, but they only come in a fixed variant so for small and nimble targets such as Scouts many people will find turreted AXMCs to be their best option. If someone is really confident in their rail gun aim then Gauss is definitely the best option as it only takes 6 hits from a Gauss Cannon at optimal range to kill (typically 2 volleys since most people run 3 or 4 Gauss Cannons on their build). The turreted AXMCs + engineered gimballed MCs loadout is excellent for a "shut your brain off and grind combat rank" sorta thing, though.

If you aren't comfortable with fixed weapons, then fighting scouts with a mix of turreted AX multicannons and railguns (or gauss cannons when unlocked) is an excellent way to practice.
The AX turrets will make short work of the scouts while you can concentrate on aiming the railguns to finish them off.

Once you're comfortable hitting scouts with gauss cannons then the step up to killing Cyclops interceptors is a lot closer than you'd think.

Sell the T10. Get an Anaconda or a Krait Mk II
Anaconda is actually the worst of the big 3, Corvette and Cutter are better (while Cutter basically being the "easy mode" imo), but they require rank grind.
Krait Mk.II is a krait ship choice if one wants to improve flying skills.

I agree, the Anaconda just does not have the maneuverability for Thargoid fighting, particularly Scouts, the better choice if you want a tank is the Corvette. I just finished outfitting mine as a Xeno Hunter, getting practiced with the fixed Gauss guns as well as sporting turreted AX MCs, and collecting Scout remains in order to make synthesis easier when I step up to the bigger guys. Too bad TL3s are kinda rare even in infested systems.

I have seen references to AX CZs, where might these be found?

I have seen references to AX CZs, where might these be found?

Thargoids have been quiet for the last couple of months, so no Incursions. Incursions is when a system is attacked by the Thargoids. You get a burning station requesting Evac, a rescue megaship orbiting the station, an AEGIS Megaship with Thargoid related missions (not always) and several AXCZs.

No Thargoid attacks - no Incursions - no AXCZs!

They're all still out looking for Professor Palin. They have a contract out on him. Seriously though. I'm still finding plently of NHSS in and around Maia. I'm hunting scouts to grind combat rank.
I like Maia cos when you stop off at Obsidian Orbital to RRR you can listen to the dull tones of the Ant telling you not to block the letterbox:rolleyes:

Top Bottom