What ship should I buy?

So I have finally decided it is time for a new ship, after a bit of a problem I encountered last night. If I want to do higher paying missions, I NEED more cargo space than my sidewinder can provide.

So I have around 500,000 credits saved up, but I can easily make some more if need be. I do not have any kind of combat experience yet, and I mostly just run different kinds of transport missions and I like to explore.

I was thinking that the Cobra Mk3 would be a good option considering my price range, but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
So I have finally decided it is time for a new ship, after a bit of a problem I encountered last night. If I want to do higher paying missions, I NEED more cargo space than my sidewinder can provide.

So I have around 500,000 credits saved up, but I can easily make some more if need be. I do not have any kind of combat experience yet, and I mostly just run different kinds of transport missions and I like to explore.

I was thinking that the Cobra MIII would be a good option considering my price range, but what do you guys think?
I like the Cobra. Decent space, more manueverable, alright hardpoints for a beginner. It's not a bad way to progress. I did. Then I saved up for a Krait Mk II.

I was thinking that the Cobra MIII would be a good option considering my price range, but what do you guys think?
When I started, I went from Sidi, to Cobra, to Asp, to Python. All good all rounders, but not master of anything. After the Python, I started noticing other things in the game and went for more specialized ships. So in short, a Cobra seems fine :) Its a great ship, you'll like it.

I prefer the Viper MkIV over the Cobra II. They are very similar, only the Viper looks and Sounds better, plus it has a centered cockpit.

When I was new, I went from Sidewinder to Viper Mk IV and didn't regret it (Later I went from Viper Mk IV to Keelback because I used to be a mission/cargo runner, too). That being said, Cobra is a very solid choice as well.

Ok, I tried resisting but it didn’t work.
You must have at least 1 Cobra Mk III. At all times. You must engineer it. You must buy paint for it. You must (ok, cheapskate, should) also buy a ship kit, name plate, engine colors and weapon colors. Then you must bask in it and parade around in it from time to time.
Why? Because lots of reasons. It’s the ship in the original game. It’s awesome. It’s fast. It’s maneuverable. And because you will love flying it.

I’m done now unless someone makes me add to this.

When I started I went from Sidewinder to Hauler, but I used that to explore, not make credits.

Depends what you want to do but a Cobra is a great allrounder

Eh, stick to data delivery missions and you don't need cargo space to make money.
Then buy an Eagle because they're cheap and cool.

Cobra Mk3
Cobra MkIII all the way.
I like the Cobra.
You can't go wrong with the Cobra.
You must have at least 1 Cobra Mk III. At all times. You must engineer it.
but a Cobra is a great allrounder
The stock Cobra costs 350k and even half-decent outfitting pulls it above the million. Quite a bit out of OPs budget of 500k. It seems to me that post #2 was the only post suggesting a ship that OP can actually afford.

I was thinking that the Cobra Mk3 would be a good option considering my price range, but what do you guys think?
The rule of thumb is you should have at least 3 times the price of your new ship available in credits before buying to allow for fitting some new decent modules and increased rebuy costs so about 1,000,000 to be reasonably safe for a Cobra III.
Of course with the current ease of getting money this isn't so important nowadays but it is still a reasonable approach.

The stock Cobra costs 350k and even half-decent outfitting pulls it above the million. Quite a bit out of OPs budget of 500k. It seems to me that post #2 was the only post suggesting a ship that OP can actually afford.
That's not to say he can't go earn more now that the common consensus is the cobra. Why just buy to buy?

Top Bottom