What small QoL changes would be handly in 2.4?

Just a quickly, what small change would help make E:D slightly better for you?

I'll start;

1. Remove the Illegal salvage tag for cargo of a pirate you've just destroyed (Don't think we're ever going to get a permit system, which was mooted).
2. Set Planetary way-points or bookmark certain co-ordinates.
3. Indicator if Capital ships are present in a CZ.

Any more?

;-)

Unique Icons for Player Crewed Fighters. They look exactly like a normal player ship would show up on radar. We need Icons to tell them apart at a glance.

Have a single peered session for an entire star system. Allowing players to accelerate and decelerate from ground to max speed and back, anywhere in the system with no instancing pause.

In other words, when I jump to a system or spawn in one at game-launch, I am put into an island of the entire system, and the instance will not kick me out. Other players jumping in or starting the game can join the instance until it reaches its limit. There will not be 1,000 possible instances in a system with 1,000 different possible players, just a single possible instance per system (and of course each server could host such an instance so the magical multi-player galaxy could continue to exist in parallel worlds that only share the BGS.

This could help Wings, blockades and Piracy/ PvP for those that want it, and make an Orrey View able to contain more relevant real-time player info and comms, etc.

I rarely see other players no matter what mode I am in. Having 1,000 possible instances based on combat speed and multiple super-cruise bubbles with a time-horizon proximity due to speed is interesting, but seems to be a bit pointless and causes folks to scream "not seamless" and experiencing SC exit lag/hangs.

Of course, a player moving at 100 m/sec will never interact with a player moving 30 km/sec, but so what? Why not leave them in the same instance? FD could keep super-cruise cutoff speed and weapon deployment and therefore combat restricted to only under 1 km/sec. Interdiction would still be a thing. But accelerating from a planet would be a smooth acceleration without blue-hue transition pause to super-cruise island/instance.

Hyper-jump between systems would still be a thing, of course, to load data and create the new system for the player and join them to a new instance for that system.

That's one of about 1,000 QOL changes I'd love to see. Of course I've no idea how terribly difficult any of my suggestions would be, but so what!

Last edited:
Materials gathering:
In the left menus (and targeting), show me how many I already have. It's just silly that I constantly have to switch to the right menu, scroll through the list, find the item... just to see if I need more or not.

FSD:
"Target system obscured" when in normal-space... the game is smart enough to know this, but not smart enough to enter supercruise instead? Should be: "Target system obscured. Entering supercruise." I have a key bound to enter supercruise directly because of this annoyance... xbox/ps4 players don't have infinite keys to bind. This should be automatic.

Ground bases:
It should be FIRST in the contacts list. I can't request docking with an ASP Explorer!

RNGineer blueprints:
Remove pinning. Give us access to all of them once the engineer prerequisites are finished.
Lightweight mods for Discovery Scanners, FSD Interdictors, and SRV bays. (these things are slowing my courier!)

Holo-me menu:
Move it below Engineers so that Engineers is default-selected. Checking engineer stuff is more commonly used then holo-me.

Station menu:
Remove Livery from the front page. I get you want us to spend extra money on stuff... but, it doesn't belong there. If you insist on leaving it, just change it to "Cash shop" because that's what it's really about.

USS targeting:
Make it work like targeting a wake, where your selected destination STAYS selected. It's annoying to lose your destination just to scan a USS... which is why I never do.

Planet landing:
When I drive off in my SRV, I expect my ship to STAY where it is unless I manually dismiss it, no matter how far I go.

Planet flying:
Remove auto-level. Nobody wants this. Let us crash our ships into the ground if we fall asleep at the stick!

Docking computer:
Hands off my pips! I have 4pips in sys for a reason... leave it alone! Those pips are mine! Keep your crash-into-things-auto-dock mits off em!

These are the things that more-or-less annoy me on a daily/weekly basis.

Decouple headlook panel activation from ship and SRV, and fighter I like it in the main ship, but the panels pop up and block the view in the SRV and fighter.

If a material is listed in the contact screen, or the inventory screen and is currently in a pinned blueprint, hightlight it a different color. Yellow, light blue, white....something.

allow assignment of custom camera positions to be saved, with a reset to default option.

Last edited:
How about adding a "Ignore this data" or material when scanning or non target limpet collection. That way you don't have to worry about purging those Unidentified Scan Archives or Classified Scan Fragments when you get them. Just have it ignore those and skip over them and only collect things you have selected in the Inventory. Would be a lot less having to go through every time you max out your Data inventory and having to purge all the crap you don't want...

When a collectible item is <selected> in the CONTACTS page, if a limpet is launched it will continue to gather the same matching titled items until expiration.

- Show data on explored systems that other have already visited
- Show percentage of system explored

- Allow galaxy map tags to be activated as a group.
--Show systems with X population with a TAG on map

The latter would be nice because hunting for those rare systems with population far outside the bubble should be EASILY searched with the galaxy map but they do not really stand out.
We could of course disable this function within the bubble area since it would be...cluttered.

Last edited:
- Allow galaxy map tags to be activated as a group.
Are you thinking along the lines of being able to turn on multiple SYSTEM filters?
Like how we can basically tick boxes for the trader routes for whatever commodities we want, but make the system filter work the same?
Basically being able to check off HIGH TECH, BOOM, MEDIUM SECURITY and only get systems that meet those criteria?

That would be great!

Individual Material and Data caps for each resource. The ability to pin resources with an icon next to it in the contacts panel (to pick it out easier from the material cluster). More reliable methods of collecting certain resources (like Cracked Industrial Firmware and Abnormal Compact Emissions Data). A more significant difference between Clean and Dirty Drive Tuning. Oh yeah, and SRV tires that don't impact every single tiny rock and metal flake bringing me to a dead stop & taking 10% of my hull.

Last edited:
How about adding a "Ignore this data" or material when scanning or non target limpet collection. That way you don't have to worry about purging those Unidentified Scan Archives or Classified Scan Fragments when you get them. Just have it ignore those and skip over them and only collect things you have selected in the Inventory. Would be a lot less having to go through every time you max out your Data inventory and having to purge all the crap you don't want...

When we get Material & Data Brokerages, though, won't this be a moot point?

Add a filter on the Commodity Market display to "Show cargo only"?
And maybe another to "Show available only"?

Last edited:
When scanning planets, display a summary of key features in the top-right panel when the scan completes. Currently, if the planet is landable, the summary information in the target panel is obscured by the "alignment" displays.

Just a quickly, what small change would help make E:D slightly better for you?

I'll start;

1. Remove the Illegal salvage tag for cargo of a pirate you've just destroyed (Don't think we're ever going to get a permit system, which was mooted).
3. Indicator if Capital ships are present in a CZ.

Any more?

;-)

Emmergent gameplay?

Allow more control over HUD display:

- Adjust size of font & marker for current target and 'brackets' for other nearby targets
- separately adjust brightness & visibility of individual elements: target marker, other-target brackets, ship markers, planetary gravity wells, orbit lines, exclusion zones etc.

Logic:
- On a 4k monitor, the HUD symbology could be made a lot smaller and less intrusive
- I find that the less intrusive the HUD symbology, the more immersive and 'larger' the universe feels; I like that. Turning off the whole display with Ctrl+Alt+G looks great, but isn't practical for flying - would love to be able to achieve a balance between the two.

If you pick up a mission by mistake (e.g. for the wrong faction), and haven't undocked yet, allow the mission to be abandoned at no penalty, and any haulage cargo is simply returned to the owners rather than stolen.

Add a little more refinement to the "Radar" display:

- More distinctive markers for stars vs. gas giants vs other bodies.
- mark scanned & not-scanned bodies differently
- allow more direct control over the scale, so you can zoom out to show the whole system. (and a "fixed-scale' mode in addition to the current 'speed-dependant' mode)
- show "off the edge" bodies differently (dotted/dimmed?)
- nice-to-have: toggle between "ship centred" and "system centred" (with marker showing ship position). Kind of like a poor-man's Orrery view :)
- Have a hot-key to zoom to a close-up of the radar (4 used to do this, but has transitioned to a more general display). This would allow the potential to later add more fine detail to the display when zoomed in - e.g. body names etc.
- Oh, and an option to make the ship markers smaller, on high-res monitors :)

Last edited:
USS targeting:
Make it work like targeting a wake, where your selected destination STAYS selected. It's annoying to lose your destination just to scan a USS... which is why I never do.

I've got a button bound to "target next waypoint" or something like that anyway, and I can target USS's, scan them quickly, bang the button and it reverts back to whatever I previously had targetted (ships not included).

So it's certainly doable. I scan every USS and never need to scroll back through the nav list to land at that planetary outpost or whatever it might be.

THIS.

Also;
Give us more material and data storage. There is zero reason at all for it to be limited, and certainly not to the levels it is. Don't gimme that imershun guff, if I can carry 500T of Zinc in my materials bay on an Eagle I can certainly carry 2000.

Either fix the pinning blueprint mechanic (hey have you got FSD Range 5 pinned and just landed at Farseer inc? We will just unpin that for you now, which you wont discover until you're deep in the black)
or give us all the blueprints now we've unlocked the engineer. The fact I need a third party program (ty EDEngineer) and a third party website (hello Inara) to keep track is ridiculous.

Enough with the beige planets. Where are the red? The orange? The green? Ice caps? etc

Fix trespass zone bounties. Let me get this straight, if I park in a zone for too long I get a bounty, but if I then kill the skimmers that attack me I earn bounty credits? Either I shouldn't be here or I should, not both.

Reset the menu highlight position when I leave dock. The amount of times I've accidentally launched forgetting to do something, instantly docked again, and then clicked the button for services only to find it's remembered it was last on launch because I haven't left the system and off I go again are too numerous to mention. It should always default to station services. Yes I should take that extra second or two, but enough stuff takes time in Elite that they add up.

I want a screen that shows things like roll rate and stuff without having to enter outfitting to do it. It's my ship, why haven't I got the figures somewhere?

There definitely needs to be a list of local places and what they have in stock. I don't just mean commodity export and import, I mean stuff like thrusters and that. Once again why should I need to use third party websites just to find out where I can get a 6D power plant? There are enough adverts around outside stations, and indeed inside them, that there must be a way to have "all the stuff available in the surrounding 100ly".

I want to see my hired hand on the bridge of my ship. I don't give a stuff about 'telepresence' or them being in the galley, put them on my ship, in the empty seats, to keep me company. Thank you.

That'll do for now.

Last edited:
Some wind & turbulence noise when entering a docking bay. These ships aren't streamlined (at least, not most of them), and 100m/s corresponds to 360kph - you'd expect a bit of wind noise, even if the atmosphere isn't a full 100kpa sea-level pressure.

Top Bottom