What the hell is up with Etienne Dorn?

Okay, so, Etienne Dorn, one of the engineers out in Colonia.

He looks like a creep, and it turns out, i was totally right, because one of his demands are extremely disconcerting.

To meet him, you have to provide twenty five occupied escape pods. That's 25 metal coffins with possibly alive occupants that he wants, for "human traffic."

Is this guy just admitting he is a slaver? Do you reanimate people from the dead just to sell them into slavery for this weird old man? What else does he need people, or corpses for? Testing his plasma accelerator engineering?

No way i am unlocking this guy, it's not happening. I'd rather start a campaign to mess up his whole installation.

Colonia is relatively low security region, and very far away. Schemes of old interstellar power and control don't fully apply there like they do in the bubble. This will no doubt attract all sorts of odd people, with their peculiar histories, and there will be agencies willing to pay credits for information of their whereabouts...

Colonia is probably the best place for a secret lab and morally questionable science in the Elite universe... Far from civilisation and well organized law enforcement, but not without human and technological resources...

And good to see, that not all players are only interested in stats. Good roleplaying is salt n pepper in the Elite soup :)

He's certainly the most ambiguous of the four Colonia engineers - the other three are misfits that the Council clearly saw potential in who have reason to get away from the bubble ... a former Federal officer dismissed for refusing to shoot protestors, a reformed criminal fleeing the Thargoids, a person blown up in a corporate accident.

It's possible, since he researches Life Support, that he's just trying to build better escape pods by seeing how well the existing ones work. And it's also possible that, since he spends most of his time with robots, he has no idea how he comes across to other humans. Certainly it seems unlikely that the Council - a cooperative organisation for a region that completely forbids the slave trade - would be particularly sympathetic to that sort of experiment. There are various outlying stations closer to Sol which would have far less scrutiny.

What's so evil about bromelite...ah I see, forcing you to mine...

Could be, but also if at any point during your time as a CMDR you've heard of of an individual known as Salome, Bill Turner shares a large portion of the blame for that debacle. The official (or unofficial, depending on your point of view) record of the events surrounding Salome can be full reviewed in the books Elite: Reclamation and Elite: Premonition by Drew Wagar.

I've got no problems with people choosing to forgo an Engineer for RP reasons.

One of the starter Engineers - Liz Ryder - requires you to buddy up with Anarchist scum before she'll talk to you. No way that is ever going to happen. So that's a whole tree of Engineers I'm never going to access.

I've got no problems with people choosing to forgo an Engineer for RP reasons.

One of the starter Engineers - Liz Ryder - requires you to buddy up with Anarchist scum before she'll talk to you. No way that is ever going to happen. So that's a whole tree of Engineers I'm never going to access.
Depends, once you've worked with the 'corporate' factions for a while it's hard to see much difference between them and the anarchists.

Have a look around the region, theres more than one person moving Escape Pods around (and probably for more than one 'person') and many strange happenings...

what's more likely? You're cloned from recycled people parts ....or that your escape pod is magically always recovered instantly to the last station you were in no matter where you are while so many ...many many others you come across in the game are sitting abandoned forever in space / on planets / destroyed or picked up by random people and brought to the station of their choosing.

No. what happens is the stations you dock in upload your consciousness prior to undocking thru your ship....then if you die (designated by signal loss by your ship) you're rebuilt from cloning printers that use human biomass as a source reagent. Those printers are pretty busy so stations need a lot of bodies to recycle. Nobody survives escape pods.

He's certainly the most ambiguous of the four Colonia engineers - the other three are misfits that the Council clearly saw potential in who have reason to get away from the bubble ... a former Federal officer dismissed for refusing to shoot protestors, a reformed criminal fleeing the Thargoids, a person blown up in a corporate accident.

It's possible, since he researches Life Support, that he's just trying to build better escape pods by seeing how well the existing ones work. And it's also possible that, since he spends most of his time with robots, he has no idea how he comes across to other humans. Certainly it seems unlikely that the Council - a cooperative organisation for a region that completely forbids the slave trade - would be particularly sympathetic to that sort of experiment. There are various outlying stations closer to Sol which would have far less scrutiny.

Perhaps he is the one responsible for the new SLF crew escape pods...

Top Bottom