What will you use your carrier for?

Depends on how difficult it is to get the new fuel resource we're going to need. If it's going to be tough getting any significant amount, I'll buy a fleet carrier, get it set up for mining and use it outside of the Bubble (but not very far outside) to get at some good deposits.

Absolute rubbish. Personally i think somebody in Fd had some kind of personal issue with explorers cause they sure killed the old exploration game. The only conselation being that now they have rolled back their advertising promises and dropped a 500ly moblie safety net, you simply cant claim any kind of acheivment any more.

There he is! I knew it was a matter of time

1. Park it right in front of the mail slot of Jamesons. It’s indestructible, right?

2. Park it on a planet and do stunt jumps over it in my SRV.

3. Ram stars in it. It’s indestructible, right?

4. Only ever carry one Sidewinder on it to show off how decadent I am.

5. Park it on a planet then throw stones at it all day long when I realise that the weeks it took me to get the money have been wasted because I don’t need it and you’re not going to be able to sell them and you cant self destruct them because it’s indestructible, right?

As far as i can tell, it doesnt fly, it doesnt move. Most unlikely they will ever land.

And whats that supposed to mean?

Still no obvious reason the ADS had to be removed other than to spoil peoples enjoyment. How long has it been now, a year?

A year later and you’re still inventing conspiracy theories as to why they removed a junk mechanic.

Personally I do not see how the fleet carrier harms or cheapens exploration. Ultimately I guess it would depend of the specifics of the refueling process/requirements

Hospital Ship for Colonia. Unless the S&R functionality is just a S&R agent (which would be sort of useless given the amount of gameplay involved).

A year later and you’re still inventing conspiracy theories as to why they removed a junk mechanic.

If it was so junk then there was no reason to take it from those who enjoyed it. In the absence of any other information the ADS cant come back cause a small number of posters on this forum dont like it.

DW2 is like a galactic rally race. It still isn't exploration. For actual exploration it doesn't really matter what your jump range is. In fact, it's better to do something a bit off kilter from the metagame hivemind builds because then you might accidentally stumble on some neat stuff that other people will jump past and never see because your route will contain more of the points along the way.
Even when taking it slow, you benefit from high jump range. It's fuel use. Taking a 60+ ly ship on an economy route lets you go thousands of ly without ever refueling. The fuel consumption of your modules will drain the tank faster than jumping does.

I was talking I was talking with a buddy of mine tonight and we were talking about the concept of relativity not relativity in the sense of Einstein but relativity in the same sense of things that relate. In the midst of our conversations and several rounds of drinking of which as of the time of this writing I'm a little inebriated I came to an interesting thought as to how Fleet carriers well benefit gameplay in general when you listen to explorist talk or anybody for that matter they always talk about how far they are from the bubble or how close they are to their destination. Fleet carriers will provide the sense of Relativity and that they will be the zero on the grass that is the player's position the center of their conceptual map of the universe because the Galaxy is so big in there so many stars trying to sort of map your position is a bit of a vague concept you know up down left right north south core word Rim word Etc so what I feel is that player will go out to an area and they will bring their Fleet carrier and that place will become sort of the zero point from which they explore mine and counter look for things in relation to the position the fleet carrier Fleet carry becomes essentially zero on the grid and then everything else becomes in relation to where the fleet carrier is and so it will allow people to create a sense of Relativity of closeness of being homeward bound while the same time being very far away from civilized space. just a random thought I'd like to share

Well, it largely depends on what services I can equip it with. I'm not sure how likely this is, but my main hope is that’ll offer the possibility of submitting exploration data (functioning almost like mobile stations, albeit without the broader trade services etc). I’ve been away from the game for a couple of months, but I was exploring the thinly distributed systems at the “canopy” of the galaxy (my ship is still up there somewhere). Apart from being able to reach systems that I couldn’t previously, it’ll be great to use it as a base of operations without the need to travel back to the core, and to perhaps invite other players to do the same. If I can drag my fleet of ships around with me on my travels that will be a boon too. I'm largely a solo player, but it might finally tempt me into more collaborative activities. They haven’t released enough details to be able to judge at this point though.

Last edited:
I am wondering how a single player will use their carrier.
What's the difference in storing your ships in a station, compared to storing them in your carrier? There is always a station within a minute or two.
Ok, you can jump your carrier. But how many of your ships do you need to use in the system you jumped to?
When I jump to a system, it's for a purpose. So I take the ship suitable for that purpose. I don't need to have all my other ships there too.
Plus I should think it would be costly to jump a carrier, using up hard earned mats you collected.
I am sure I must be missing something. But I don't see how useful they will be.
Mud wrestling festivals.

How about filling it up full of passengers, on the pretext of going exploring, jump to a system beyond the range of normal ships and then force your passengers to participate in a fight to the death, where only the winner will be transported back to civilisation?

Just a thought....

I would park it near an asteroid belt and mine a bid.

Tho it depends on what kind of upkeep it has, if its something like a weekly or monthly payment, no matter if its used or not, then i will pass.
If it is like paying for each use a friendly ship has, like keeping supply of things that is used for, mining in this case, then it will be a mechanic in itself i would enjoy. and i would really play with it a lot.

Top Bottom