What would be your choice for a fifth mustelid species?

As of the Wetlands Animal Pack, we have the Red Panda, Giant Otter, European Badger, and Asian Small-Clawed Otter. This is good representation, but I feel like it needs at least one more species added to the game.

The Wolverine is probably the most obvious pick. It's at the number nine spot on the meta wishlist, so there's clearly a demand for it. I know some people were hoping for it to be included in the North America Animal Pack, myself included, maybe we could get it in a taiga pack or something similar.

The Honey Badger is another good choice. Basically an African Wolverine on steroids, it's at the number 39 spot on the meta wishlist. A savannah or desert pack would probably be our best chance of getting it.

Finally we have the Sea Otter. Taking up the number 50 spot on the meta wishlist, this would be our first marine mustelid, and quite a cute one at that. If we get it, it would probably be in an endangered species pack or a marine pack.

The Wolverine is definitely my most wanted mustelid, but I'd take any of these three.

What do you think? What mustelid species would you like to see next? Let me know.

As of the Wetlands Animal Pack, we have the Red Panda, Giant Otter, European Badger, and Asian Small-Clawed Otter. This is good representation, but I feel like it needs at least one more species added to the game.

The Wolverine is probably the most obvious pick. It's at the number nine spot on the meta wishlist, so there's clearly a demand for it. I know some people were hoping for it to be included in the North America Animal Pack, myself included, maybe we could get it in a taiga pack or something similar.

The Honey Badger is another good choice. Basically an African Wolverine on steroids, it's at the number 39 spot on the meta wishlist. A savannah or desert pack would probably be our best chance of getting it.

Finally we have the Sea Otter. Taking up the number 50 spot on the meta wishlist, this would be our first marine mustelid, and quite a cute one at that. If we get it, it would probably be in an endangered species pack or a marine pack.

The Wolverine is definitely my most wanted mustelid, but I'd take any of these three.

What do you think? What mustelid species would you like to see next? Let me know.
Not to be a smart-aleck, but red pandas are musteloids (a group including mustelids, skunks, procyonids -- racoons and their allies, and of course the aforementioned panda) and not mustelids (badgers, otters, weasels, ferrets, and a few odds and ends).

Anyway, I think all three species you mentioned would be good picks, but I don't feel too strongly about any of them since I've only seen one in real life, and it was at an aquarium several years ago. Plus, the first two are quite rare in American zoos; the honey badger especially has a single holder, and the wolverine less than ten. My personal picks would be:

• Black-Footed Ferret: An archetypical weasel/ferret species and a great conservation success story. Also, kept at my local zoo.
  • American Badger: Way too similar to the European to realistically be included but I like it more and it complements other Great Plains species well.
  • Tayra: Rare in captivity but cute and a good South America species.
Generally, I think our mustelid selection is good, with no absences that really hurt me, but I'd be glad to see any of the six species listed here between the two of us.

The wolverine and there’s not even a close second choice.

oh wait the honey badger and tayra are both in my top 20. Still not even close.

Wolverine and Yellow throated marten are the two I would really like to see in this game.
1652135042653.jpeg

Honestly I’m fine with what we’ve got but I’d be most happy with the pine marten to boost Europe a bit. The yellow-throated is a close second because it’s so distinct, although we’ve already got an animal filling a similar niche for SEA. A lot of people seem to want wolverines and/or honey badgers but, TBH, I don’t really see the attraction - still, I’d be happy enough with eithrr (though not both) being added since it’d make a lot of people happy.

From all the 3 mentioned (Wolverine, Honey Badger and Sea Otter), I would actually really want to see all of them, but if i only could pick one...it would be Honey Badger for sure. they are so fierce and extremely intelligent that it is somewhat scary.

From all the 3 mentioned (Wolverine, Honey Badger and Sea Otter), I would actually really want to see all of them, but if i only could pick one...it would be Honey Badger for sure. they are so fierce and extremely intelligent that it is somewhat scary.
Ditto. They are all special and existed in Zoo Tycoon 1 or 2.

For me the wolverine is the absolute must-have.

After that, I want a cold tolerant otter: sea otter or Eurasian otter (both would be awesome). A European mink could be an alternative.

Next, a marten would be cool, either the golden throated maten or the European pine marten.

While i would like the wolverine or another otter, my main wish is for an aboreal species aka a marten.
While i would be happy with any marten, i want to give some special attention to my buddy the beech marten.
Not only are they quite common in zoos and the most common not otter mustelid in the eaza, they are also quite diverse in biome and habitat, as they like living basicly everywhere.
Theres even documented that two of them live on the cathedral in cologne, as they generally prefer rocky areas.
But if its the pine marten or any other one id still be happy :)
Download.jpeg-23.jpg

My top choice for a new mustelid would be the yellow-throated marten every single time.
1652210282191.png

They would add a climbing species to complement the burrowing badgers and swimming otters. They have a broad biome range that extends from the northern coniferous forests of the Russian Far East (where they live alongside Siberian tigers) down through the temperate forests of East Asia and the Himalayas to the tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia.

They are the largest of the true martens and have an advantage over the other species in that they are also quite sociable - while other martens are solitary and fiercely territorial, so they could only be kept in pairs, the yellow-throated is much more sociable and lives mainly in pairs or trios but have been recorded in the wild living in packs up to seven strong.

Although they are not as commonly-kept in Europe as the native pine and stone martens, they are by no means rare (they are kept in 32 zoos across Europe and Russia alone). What is more pertinent is that the yellow-throated marten is more often kept in large open enclosures than the smaller species, which are almost always in roofed-over cages. This enclosure from Nuremberg Zoo in Germany is the gold standard - over 700 square metres of woodland.

Although adorable, does it really count? They are members of musteloidea, yes... but so are red pandas and raccoons... pretty sure the subject here is limited to mustelidae; badgers, weasels and otters.
Whoops!
I google-picture-searched for "mustelid" and get this sheet
1652246468575.png

and since otters were "ok", I figured skunks would be too

If we’re considering skunks as part of the mustelid family, then the Striped Skunk it is. They are right at the top of my wishlist to get in-game; a great small habitat animal that is unique, charismatic and common in zoos all over the world. 🦨

I can't say I'm dying for another mustelid, personally. I'd certainly welcome another otter, ideally the North American river otter or sea otter, but I just can't justify another one's inclusion given how much DLC I expect the future to hold. On the other hand, the stockier types do nothing for me. I know they're popular, but the wolverine and honey badger would both be very "whatever" picks in my eyes. I guess if I had to pick one that's not another otter, I'd go for the black-footed ferret, fisher, or a marten, but that would honestly be a very weak endorsement.

If I had to choose another. I chose the Wolverine, it's my favorite mustelid because the first time I saw them was in Berlin and in zoo tycoon and it's in my top 20

Then I choose
Mink doesn't matter and Honey Badger and Tayra

Top Bottom