What would it take to stop you playing Elite?

Welcome CMDR's,

Time for another seemingly pointless question from my befuddled mind...

We are mostly all aware of the features that we'd like to see or are on the '10 Year plan' and many of them are very exciting potentially game changing. Legs etc. But although developers like to read this kind of stuff and how hyped we get for it I was wondering the opposite. What would possibly make you want to stop playing or at least question the amount of time you spend in game.

Now this could be anything, some may not be overly thrilled about legs or how it might be handled but what would make it a game breaker for you and don't just focus on the legs thing as I've mentioned it. Maybe you are dreading something else such a atmospheric planets being limited in the area available to fly in?

For some there may well be nothing that would make you consider stopping/dropping Elite and that's fine too but the reason behind this thread is to see what you do not want - i.e. provide a bit of feedback to Frontier about potential potholes to be avoided or done better then planned/expected.

As always keep it clean and have fun - there is nothing wrong with having an opinion that differs from others as long as we don't bash each other over the head with pointless insults ;)

EDIT: In no way is this to be seen as me bashing the game or Frontier. Nor is this an indication of me stopping my career in Elite. :)

Last edited:
Frontier continuing on their current trend of adding bolt on meaningless gimmicks that become boring in 5 minutes.

Their ignoring of the development of the core game, their lack of replacing placeholders with actual content and continuing the mile wide one inch deep analogy.

Basically just for frontier to continue exactly what they are doing.

I drifted away before because there didn't seem to be all that much to the game. There still isn't all that much in my interest set so I probably will again, one day I just won't come back; no rage quit, no flouncing, just drift away and not come back.

Frontier continuing on their current trend of adding bolt on meaningless gimmicks that become boring in 5 minutes.

Their ignoring of the development of the core game, their lack of replacing placeholders with actual content and continuing the mile wide one inch deep analogy.

Basically just for frontier to continue exactly what they are doing.

Pretty much this...

idk.

i have the tendency to play games a lot for an extended period (years), and than stop for no apparent reason, and play something else, only returning once in a while for nostalgia.

with ED, i simply ignore activities if i really dislike a specific development. i anyway switch a lot in ED - the game has so many different styles to play it.

Any feature which appears necessary for reasonable continued play but which requires unreasonable time investment to actually make use of.
'Appears' is important here, you can probably continue playing while ignoring a new feature but doing so may make you feel like you're at a significant disadvantage and reduce your overall enjoyment.

Engineers did this to me for a bit, I love a lot of the changes that came in along with them but felt I ought to be making use of them. The amount of time required to do so felt prohibitive though and I ended up bouncing off the game for a while.
Changing the engineers to be materials only helped a lot as I didn't feel I was either getting rid of commodities I'd later need or using up space for other things I could do now.
Subsequently I did a few bits and pieces and ended up using the Engineers at more of my own pace.

Can't think of too many things that would turn me off the game. Removing Solo would. Telepresence everywhere for everything might.

For me the biggest 'threat' to playing the game is simply boredom. "Why am I always doing these endless, simple, repetitive tasks?" Even though I love the game, it's more simulator than game for me at the moment. It lacks variety in the mission/scenario structures and choices, and doesn't have enough options for interacting and changing the environs/social structure (home base building, station construction, guilds) in order for it to be a proper sandbox. What changes we can bring about, need to be manually trigged by the devs rather than us having a mechanism to do so in game.

For me, it's still more hope and potential then what's currently in the game. Thankfully I'm still on the "infinite" lucky bag that was the lifetime pass. :)

A nuclear war.
But seriously, instant transfer would have made me dislike the game. Telepresence I dont like, but I accept for convenience. In general anything that breaks severely my immersion would be tough to swallow

The game itself stops me from playing it. (I use the term 'game' in its loosest sense, clearly).

However, hope springs eternal, of course, so looking forward to checking out the rest of 'season 2'.

Last edited:
The same reason I stop playing other games - they get boring and stop being fun. I don't much care about (the idea of) space legs or multi-crew, but they're not going to stop me playing the bits I do like - and hey who knows I might even come to like them! -- I'm not going to write off a game because of one part of it, especially if I can ignore that part (<cough>powerplay</cough>).

To be honest there's been a few periods since gamma when I've not played for weeks or even months, but I still keep coming back to it so it must be doing something right...

If AEDC were no more then that would probably be it for me but I'd more than likely carry on playing in some role.
A day in the corp. is like a day on the farm :)

verminstar

Banned
Honestly, if things dont start improving in the next 6 months...

That being said...being forced into combat or engineers becoming vital would have me seriously questioning this games long term viability. Solo play being hit hard to 'encourage' me into open would also make me question my reasons fer staying.

All of which is moot if things dont start kicking up another gear in the next 6 months...Im already fed up on a daily basis with beige planets and bare bones exploration, even if I did just buy the asp x bodykit, just because ^

The immersion time vampires winning the gameplay war, obviously.

Actually I'll probably stop once I've exhausted whatever content is in 2.4, I'm not keen on buying another season pass with no exploration gameplay.

Top Bottom