What’s Next For Planet Zoo

Chante gave us the typical answer and I understand she can't say much. But to have a "fun social media day" for an anniversary? I don't know. Can't say I care too much. We all know what it's (likely) going to be: they'll give away DLC codes, they'll stream and they'll join other streamers and have a chat, they'll give away Planet Zoo plushies. I don't expect anything else.
Plushies and DLC codes, which is annoying in itself. Those of us who supported this game for one year mostly have every DLC. And as I said in another thread: We supported the game through a pandemic, where lots of us have lost their jobs and still supported Frontier. It's just the absolutely wrong time to cut corners on an anniversary.

I never expected free animals, as I honestly think they need more work than rides for Planet Coaster, so I wasn't comparing, because I don't want Frontier do work for free for a month or so. But an enrichment item OR a statue, just a little something something is definately needed if you don't want it to look like the Planet Zoo community or the Planet Zoo game is of lesser value to them than other Frontier titles.
I am also sure we will get something before the end of the year. But we would have got it anyway, so it does not make up for this realy poor EA-ish PR move. And of course it's not the CMs fault. Not even those of the Devs. It's decided in a higher position on what the Devs spend their time on and how the DLCs are put together and what the CMs can talk about. I don't know who it is, but someone up the career ladder is doing a very poorly job with this game lately in my honest opinion.

Since that thread got locked I will voice my opinion here.

Chante gave us the typical answer and I understand she can't say much. But to have a "fun social media day" for an anniversary? I don't know. Can't say I care too much. We all know what it's (likely) going to be: they'll give away DLC codes, they'll stream and they'll join other streamers and have a chat, they'll give away Planet Zoo plushies. I don't expect anything else.

We all knew there would be another DLC by the end of the year. And again, we all know when we get a new DLC we also get a big update. Rest assured, there are things to come by the end of the year.

To be completely honest, I don't think Frontier will change its ways of managing their community and games. The communication level hasn't become better and I don't expect them to ever release big expansion packs (they'll continue with their small DLC model). I have to admit though that I am also kind of sceptical that PZ will have the same longevity and support that PC had. If it happens then it is what it is.

Yep, I said it in the other thread, if the celebration is going to be give aways of the game and DLC codes, well, then it is not much of a celebration for their community since most of us already have the game and probably all DLCs.

So there is update and DLC likely comming. Well we knew there was probably one comming at the end of the year. SO I do not understand some people by saying "just be patient, things will come". The difference here is PC got anniversary update AND update+DLC after that by the end of the year... SO yeah, I am fine with waiting for the DLC , we knew it will likely be at the end of the year. But why PC could get both anniversary and DLC update while we will only get one?

Yea there is the whole COVID, but after a half year, I think the company had time to adjust its working.

I suport PZ and the developers and always will, and will wait until the anniversary before thinking of it any futher, but right now its seems....weird to say the least compared to PC.

Last edited:
This. So much this. Now, I exaggerate now to make a point, but at the moment it feels like this:

And to make this crystal clear: IF Frontier changes things, I still think this game has a potential of being as long-lived as The Sims or Cities Skylines. But things NEED to change for it. And I just don't feel like Frontier has interest in it or is willing to open their eyes to the potential this game has.

@Chante Goodman Oh my goodness, please do read this comment by Swjosdotschka (and ideally the whole thread). No hard feelings are intended at all, I just think it's important Frontier sees how much we care about this game, how much potential it has, and how worried we are about it's future. Only because we DO care! (I don't want to put all pressure on your shoulders, or any single person working at Frontier since I image some things are beyond even the Dev's control. I just imagine it helps to see what things look like from players' perspective.)

Last edited:
That being said, there is still a slight chance that Chante meant there won’t be any update specifically on 5th November, but could be afterwards. This option is not very likely but, who knows? Also, if they indeed had something planned for the anniversary but couldn’t make it in time for whatever reasons I really hope the upcoming major update and DLC will bring something different and bigger than the previous ones.

Could you link me to this information Chante gave? I looked in the news section but there's nothing new. Please and thanks!

I suport PZ and the developers and always will, and will wait until the anniversary before thinking of it any futher, but right now its seems....weird to say the least compared to PC.

I strongly agree. And though I have no bitter feelings toward those who worked hard on this game-- this is more in response to the higher-ups likely making these decisions-- I can promise that if Planet Zoo ends up getting lesser treatment than what Planet Coaster got, I will not be supporting any other Frontier games into the future.

Could you link me to this information Chante gave? I looked in the news section but there's nothing new. Please and thanks!

It was in the locked anniversary thread:

It was in the locked anniversary thread:
Thanks FoxyDee.

Yep, as I said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an anniversary update a few days after the actual anniversary day. Not very probable, but not impossible either. Let's remember PC dates regarding 1st Anniversary:

-Planet Coaster released 17th November, 2016.
-1st Anniversary update is announced 3rd November, 2017.
-1st Anniversary udpdate is released 22nd November, 2017.

Surely, as of now, nothing indicates this could not happen in PZ too.

Yeah this unfortunately is very disappointing to say the least. I can say as a avid frontier supporter since the zoo tycoon 2013 days I own jwe and most dlc. I own Planco and all dlc. I own pz obviously and all dlc it’s a shame not to get a better anniversary spin off for the members and a great game itself. I expected maybe one animal possibly not for sure tho by no means. A statue or some foliage and scenery pieces not many but some. As far as the decisions at the top of companies go yeah totally true they focus too much on the money and not the loyalty of the gamers and customers involved. One of the huge downfalls of well the world right now. But at the end of the day it is what it is what it is disappointing and a missed opportunity life goes on.

But an enrichment item OR a statue, just a little something something is definately needed if you don't want it to look like the Planet Zoo community or the Planet Zoo game is of lesser value to them than other Frontier titles.

This is true. And it wouldn't even have been that much about the statue/enrichment item/whatever, it would have showed us, the players, that they care. I definitely agree on this one.

So there is update and DLC likely comming. Well we knew there was probably one comming at the end of the year. SO I do not understand some people by saying "just be patient, things will come". The difference here is PC got anniversary update AND update+DLC after that by the end of the year... SO yeah, I am fine with waiting for the DLC , we knew it will likely be at the end of the year. But why PC could get both anniversary and DLC update while we will only get one?

Yea there is the whole COVID, but after a half year, I think the company had time to adjust its working.

Yes, I agree. The only way I can explain this right now as it is, is that maybe (and that's a big maybe) when we get the DLC the free update will be bigger than usual.

@Chante Goodman Oh my goodness, please do read this comment by Swjosdotschka (and ideally the whole thread). No hard feelings are intended at all, I just think it's important Frontier sees how much we care about this game, how much potential it has, and how worried we are about it's future. Only because we DO care! (I don't want to put all pressure on your shoulders, or any single person working at Frontier since I image some things are beyond even the Dev's control. I just imagine it helps to see what things look like from players' perspective.)

I understand the sentiment, but don't feel bad about telling Chante your opinion (as long as it's respectful of course, and yours is). It is literally her job - she's a community manager. She's the bridge between us and the devs/company.

Yes, I agree. The only way I can explain this right now as it is, is that maybe (and that's a big maybe) when we get the DLC the free update will be bigger than usual.

Yes, it would probably be for the best if we all wait until that whatever they work on will come and then decide if it was worth to celebrate the anniversary with nothing.

Perhaps we got a little too emotional about the anniversary update. But as many have stated, it is because we care for the game. Many of the forum members play the game on regular basis as our hobby for almost a year (even if with some breaks here and there), we invest our time, creativity and sometimes as we saw in the locked thread even emotion to this game and community, so hopefully Frontier will forgive us our reactions, criticism and maybe dissapointment at this time - it is because we care. ❤

Last edited:
I get your point and I somewhat agree. But for me personally even an update that is twice as big as previous ones won't repair what is demaged. For me it is not about the content, but about an appreciation sign for the community. We will get tons of (paid and free) content down the road. We all get that there is no time for a huge anniversary update, covid messed upba lot. It doesn't matter. What does matter to me personally, that I want this community to be treated with equal worth and appreciation as JWE and Planco was treated. Social Media activities is what we get every.single.day and Plushies and codes is just a gift for 20 of us when there are 1000.

Not fully unexpected but still had a small "hope" for an anniversary. Sligthly disappointed.
Too much drama right now - a lot of people mentioned don't count on it, don't raise your expectations for this - well, we end up with comments like these.

We supported the game through a pandemic, where lots of us have lost their jobs and still supported Frontier. It's just the absolutely wrong time to cut corners on an anniversary.

I think you are being too harsh. You bought DLC and therefore had content. I really don't think paying for DLC also creates an obligation for Frontier to deliver content on an anniversary or anytime else.
I know you don't mean it like that, but this also reads as being selfish, who knows what they had to endure this year? (and yes, I am also one of those who lost my job during COVID-19)

But why PC could get both anniversary and DLC update while we will only get one?
1st anniversary: that was 4 years ago. Things change..
Don't get me wrong ; I think it's a somewhat missed opportunity for the anniversary. It is a special moment for a game, don't think 1 free enrichment item/building piece would make a difference - people would have complained about that 1 item as well. (in short: why not more?)

And where do people get their info on a update/dlc by the end of the year?
Not fully reliable but looking at the previous DLC = Steamdb had an unknown app for several weeks/months for SA/Australia.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
How is that odd? They don't update the steam builds until they're pretty much done with any new content/updates.

Some forum members tend to think every single thing is odd. They need to have something to complain.

The next step is just the same as every other step, a new DLC, somewhere in the coming weeks/months.

Anything for free is a bonus, but should not to be expected/wished for/demanded.

Last edited:
How is that odd? They don't update the steam builds until they're pretty much done with any new content/updates.

Mutso is right on the fact that usually there is an unknowen app round about one to two months before release of a dlc. The aussie DLC had a very long timespan being unknowen in the steam database.
As I said, it's odd. I didn't say it means anything by now. (Even if some forum members seem to think I have ;) LOL)

1st anniversary: that was 4 years ago. Things change..
Don't get me wrong ; I think it's a somewhat missed opportunity for the anniversary. It is a special moment for a game, don't think 1 free enrichment item/building piece would make a difference - people would have complained about that 1 item as well. (in short: why not more?)

Yes, there will always be someone who will complain about wanting more, I get it. But like Swjosdotschka (had to look at least 3 times to type it right! :D) said, it is not about how much content, but rather the thought of hey all, here is a something small for all of you to enjoy and celebrate our first anniversary.

At least it would be for everyone. What use I will get If I even happen to win the codes when I own all PZ content? And the plushies are nice and all (although I do not have kids to give the plushies to), but what chance do you even have to win? 0,2% ? I do not want to dramatize it, as we are not sure what will this anniversary day look like, but I am guessing it will be something like this.

Yes, there will always be someone who will complain about wanting more, I get it. But like Swjosdotschka (had to look at least 3 times to type it right! :D)
Take it easy on yourself. :) Swjos is fine, most people in the community also knowen me by Linda. And if everything fails, copy and paste is fine :D It's just that I have this username for 24 years now (oh my gosh, I'm old) and its never taken ;)

Mutso is right on the fact that usually there is an unknowen app round about one to two months before release of a dlc. The aussie DLC had a very long timespan being unknowen in the steam database.
Let me clarify a bit, not causing a discussion on this one. I just pointed it out, based on previous experiences.
When you are fully confident on content in December, you also should consider Steamdb experiences.

That being said, this could be different this time and I hope I'm wrong on this one. I don't remember how this was during the Arctic DLC.

Top Bottom