What's ship integrity?

I've just noticed this in the maintenance menu. It's at 67% which is the same as my paintjob. Is it just the paint?

The hull gets abraded after a while, my understanding is that it will lower your resistance to damage.

Last edited:
It's the structual integrity of your ship, let it go down to 0 and you will be facing a rebuy if you have a small bump.

Last edited:
I believe somebody once worked out that if the integrity is at 0%, it's the equivalent of running with 70% hull.

I generally repair it each time I dock, and no, you won't loose your worn and battered paintjob if you repair integrity :)

Last edited:
Some people were getting strange malfunctions when their ship's integrity was low. Those malfunctions apparently stopped when they repaired it.

My Anaconda has probably spent about 95% of its operational life at 0% hull integrity, it's no big deal as long as you're not hitting things or getting shot at. If I remember correctly a trip to Hutton takes it down to below 50%, supercruise is tough on your ship.

And yes, it's separate from the worn paint effect.

Ship integrity is a measure of the wear and tear on your ship and its modules from use. Just like your car needs a tune up and maintenance after so much use, you ship does too. In terms of game mechanics and in-game effects the ship integrity stat acts as a modifier to your total health/hit point pool. The following copy pasted explanation in the spoiler box is from an early dev tracker post as found in "Pilot's Guide 1.13" found at http://www.mediafire.com/download/5jxh750heuhzedw/Elite+Dangerous.Pilots+Guide.Manual.Tutorial.pdf or
http://www.scribd.com/doc/236560722/Elite-Dangerous-pilots-guide-manual-tutorial

Wear and tear (Which is going to be renamed and
slowed down) represents your ship suffering long
term damage that results in a reduction to maximum
hull health (so even if your hull says 100%, if you've
suffered wear and tear, that 100% will be lower than
it could be). Wear and tear never reduces your
maximum hull health to 0 (I think the cap reduces your
max hull down by 70% – we might tweak this).
I believe there will be a nominal fee to buff up your
livery, which will become its own separate thing,
allowing Commanders tomake their ships look nice
even if they are starting to rot on the inside.
If your wear and tear was at 100% (the worst it could
be) then your maximum hull health would be reduced
by 30%. Wear and tear is not meant to totally cripple
your ship, but it should still be a significant risk. Again,
though, we're lowering the rate at which wear and
tear accrues, as we think it was too quick.
The effects of having a ship that looks rough
compared to one that looks pristine are not in the
game yet, but that is the concept we are heading
towards.
They way we imagine it is that when your hull is
damaged it is because something very clear and
obvious has happened: a cannon shell has punched
a hole in it, or a bracket connecting an articulate
plate has sheared clean off. You can easily look
at the hull, or scan the hull and detect this kind of
catastrophic failure.
But even during normal operation, your ship's hull
suffers lots of low-grade strain. Every time you pull
hard G turns under thrust, every time the frame shift
collapses and expands space, and even natural
perishing processes on components, all take their
collective toll on the vessel.
You can't obviously see or detect this effect
without effectively having a starship mechanic look
specifically fort it. Maybe a hull plate has warped
slightly and is mashed slightly harder into the plate
next to it under thrust. Perhaps a bracket has started
to wear and become loose, but has not yet snapped
or failed. Possibly the gunk has started to build up
in the cooling loops, increasing the pressure of the
circuit, but not yet enough to burst the system.
A whole host of fatigue effects build up in the ship's hull
and associated plumbing, and whilst they don't show
as obvious trauma, they do overall make your ship less
sturdy and more likely to fall under extreme forces.
Our wear and tear system is a simple abstract
way of representing this effect without being too
complicated.
Getting various repair costs perfect is quite
complicated, and it will be something we keep overwatch
on, making tweaks when we see all positive
effect gains.
Wear and tear is being slowed down. However, it
still needs to be fast enough to have an effect in a
reasonable game time. If I said that on average you
might likely see a percent drop in about an hour of
flight that might help give an idea.
Also, wear and tear actually accumulates by
activities such as hyperspace jumps, super cruise,
being in asteroid fields, fuel scooping and from
combat, so the rate is variable to a minor degree.
For clarity: currently wear and tear only affects hull. In
the future we might consider module wear and tear,
but not at the moment.
The concept of wear and tear is two-fold: it
represents longer term fatigue for ships, and
introduces another risk element to manage. You
never *need* to sort out your wear and tear, the
penalty caps out at 30% of your hull.
But of course, should you run into trouble, that 30%
hull might become a significant factor in deciding
whether your ship stays in one piece or not
Also wear and tear should only affect the ship you
are using, because it accrues based on ship activities

So basically ship integrity is a hit point modifier that decreases the Y on the X out of Y (X/Y) on total hit points such as at 100% integrity and 50% hull you would be at 50/100 and at 0% integrity you would instead be at 50/70 assuming you were damaged before your integrity dropped and assuming you only had 100 hull hp to begin with.

Ship integrity represents general wear and tear on your ship that's independent of hull integrity and module integrity. It has an effect on your hull integrity though, and module performance (reportedly).

Low ship integrity directly correlates to a drop in hull integrity. When your ship integrity reaches 0%, your hull will effectively be at 70% integrity, even if the hull is fully repaired.

Low ship integrity may cause modules to malfunction more often, some posts I saw cited a 30% chance.

Ship integrity repair cost increases exponentially, so at 95% integrity it may cost 10,000 credits, at 90% it may cost 100,000 credits.

As ship integrity decreases, so does your ship's paintjob quality...

So treat your girl nice and repair her integrity often for your own safty.

Last edited:
Low ship integrity directly correlates to a drop in hull integrity. When your ship integrity reaches 0%, your hull will effectively be at 70% integrity, even if the hull is fully repaired.

I've been hearing this figure of 70% for two and a half years and I've no reason to doubt it, but it would be nice to hear something official from FD.

Low ship integrity may cause modules to malfunction more often, some posts I saw cited a 30% chance.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've done plenty of long exploration trips and returned with 0% integrity. Never had any module malfunctions unless they've become damaged themselves.

I've been hearing this figure of 70% for two and a half years and I've no reason to doubt it, but it would be nice to hear something official from FD.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've done plenty of long exploration trips and returned with 0% integrity. Never had any module malfunctions unless they've become damaged themselves.

When your ship integrity reaches 0%, your hull will effectively be at 70% integrity

This has been discussed at length over the years, also confirmed by the devs.

Highly doubt this is true, have personally done multiple long range trips and never seen hull integrity based faults over the years. Every long range explorer out there is running on 0% integrity, the forums would be flooded with questions regarding ship faults.

Faults only occur when a module integrity is below 80%, faults become more frequent as the module integrity decreases.

What I have noticed is handling issues. As the integrity drops my AspX wobbles a bit more and more as it progresses and dropping in from a jump I have turbulence issues when trying to scoop. With no damage or overheating on my last 5k LY explore the final 25 jumps to home were an interesting bumpy ride. I'm a bit new at the game so I'm not sure how explorers handle these 20k LY journeys as about 7k LY voyages seems to be my AspXs limit before integrity makes ship handling difficult sometimes. Integrity on return from last voyage of 5k LY was 54%.

My Anaconda has probably spent about 95% of its operational life at 0% hull integrity, it's no big deal as long as you're not hitting things or getting shot at. If I remember correctly a trip to Hutton takes it down to below 50%, supercruise is tough on your ship.

And yes, it's separate from the worn paint effect.
my trip to hutton took my integrity on my FAS from 100% (repaired before i launched into SC) to 37%. my paint was not too shabby to make out the decals. but yes you can repair paint separately thats why integrity and paint are separate options.

What I have noticed is handling issues. As the integrity drops my AspX wobbles a bit more and more as it progresses and dropping in from a jump I have turbulence issues when trying to scoop. With no damage or overheating on my last 5k LY explore the final 25 jumps to home were an interesting bumpy ride. I'm a bit new at the game so I'm not sure how explorers handle these 20k LY journeys as about 7k LY voyages seems to be my AspXs limit before integrity makes ship handling difficult sometimes. Integrity on return from last voyage of 5k LY was 54%.
i barely noticed my return journey from 14k out any difference in handling on my asp. it was unengineered, maybe that has a bearing. but i dont remember any better handling after repairing integrity once i got back.

its also more or less a leftover from release.

back then, it was really expensive to repair integrity and to refuel your ship at a station.
these two factors had been a reason to fly a t7 over a clipper or python, or t9 over a conda.

then both got reduced so much that it got insignificant... leaving the T-ships without any significant advantages.

Top Bottom