What's the best peripheral setup for Elite: Dangerous?

Hey guys!

Completely new to Elite: Dangerous, but from what I've been watching over the past month or so, I'm 110% behind this game!

Anyways, so far I've ordered the Thrustermaster's H.O.T.A.S Warthog and throttle, which will be my first flight sim stick and was hoping you guys might be able to tell me if picking up some rudder pedals would be worth it too? (I've read at the moment they don't really work too well in Elite though.)

If so, then they would also have to fit the Obutto R3volution as I've read that some pedals are too wide. :S

Thanks for any help!
Steaks

If you've got money to burn then get trackir to go with the warthog! I think you need pedals as I'm not sure that the warthog as twist to yaw?

Cheaper alternatives for head tracking are available too, such as the EDTracker, which I use and it's bloody awesome!

If you've got money to burn then get trackir to go with the warthog! I think you need pedals as I'm not sure that the warthog as twist to yaw?

Cheaper alternatives for head tracking are available too, such as the EDTracker, which I use and it's bloody awesome!

Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently waiting for the Oculus DK2 (ordered at the end of June, so should hopefully be here soon).
I was close to buying a TrackIR, but as I only have a single monitor I thought it probably wouldn't be as immersive. :/

The Warthog apparently doesn't have a twist to yaw. :(
I'm assuming having pedals are an absolute necessity with a flight stick then?
I was leaning towards picking up some Saitek Combat pedals, but after seeing the MFG Crosswind pedals and reading the reviews, they sound like the crème de la crème of rudder pedals. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm completely new to flying sim peripherals)

Honestly, if I could get away with not using pedals at all, that would be great because getting set up for Elite is starting to become a little heavy on my wallet. xD

Steaks

Thanks for the reply!

This was the main reason why I did not get a warthog and went for an X55 instead - despite its QC issues..

whilst some purists I have spoken too insist that twist to yaw is not ideal, and it can ruin precision in other axis' for me I had to draw the line on expense somewhere.

as for pedals.... personally I would really miss not having yaw control so with that in mind I would be considering pedals if I were you.

do you have a steering wheel set up with pedals? If you do, again maybe not perfect, but you could maybe try setting up your accelerator and brake or clutch to yaw?

This was the main reason why I did not get a warthog and went for an X55 instead - despite its QC issues..

whilst some purists I have spoken too insist that twist to yaw is not ideal, and it can ruin precision in other axis' for me I had to draw the line on expense somewhere.

as for pedals.... personally I would really miss not having yaw control so with that in mind I would be considering pedals if I were you.

do you have a steering wheel set up with pedals? If you do, again maybe not perfect, but you could maybe try setting up your accelerator and brake or clutch to yaw?

I was looking at the x55 Rhino, and was almost ready to buy it until I started to noticed an alarming amount of people complaining about the QC as you mentioned. (A shame, considering the Rhino looks a hell of a lot of fun, and the action on the throttle slide is impeccable.)

It's funny you mention that, as I recently just sold my T500RS to better afford the Warthog. xD

What rudder pedals would you suggest? (I've heard the Saitek pedals are supposed to be a little subpar, which would be a shame if true as they seem reasonably priced.)

I was looking at the x55 Rhino, and was almost ready to buy it until I started to noticed an alarming amount of people complaining about the QC as you mentioned. (A shame, considering the Rhino looks a hell of a lot of fun, and the action on the throttle slide is impeccable.)

It's funny you mention that, as I recently just sold my T500RS to better afford the Warthog. xD

What rudder pedals would you suggest? (I've heard the Saitek pedals are supposed to be a little subpar, which would be a shame if true as they seem reasonably priced.)

I got a defective x55, it seems like most of the problems with it can be explained the terrible cabling job in the stick, if you take it apart and inspect for damage, and are inclined to roll up your sleeves its extremely easy to fix.

once I fixed mine, I dont think I'd ever really enjoy going back.

OT: I roll with an X55, DK2, and voice attack. the voice attack part starts to become mandatory with the DK2 because you cant really do anything related to buttons (the huge amount of easy to recognize by touch buttons on the X55 really do help though). only other thing I would consider splurging on would possibly be a chair. I currently sit in a lazy boy when playing, and that's good and all but a little bit awkward.

I have the X55 and the yaw does creek a little but it doesn't affect its functionality.

As with the buttons failing, I originally got one and the main trigger was busted as well as buttons randomly being activated without my involvement...the latter of the two issues turned out to be something along the lines of an IRQ conflict and once I plugged them into my USB3 ports rather than the USB2, the problem went away.

I have a new X55 after returning the faulty one and I haven't had one issue in a month and a half.

If you receive one of the newer gens, this is the HOTAS of choice imo.

Consider CH pedals. I'm using ten year old ones that I recently converted from gameport to USB and they're perfect.

Hey guys!

Completely new to Elite: Dangerous, but from what I've been watching over the past month or so, I'm 110% behind this game!

Anyways, so far I've ordered the Thrustermaster's H.O.T.A.S Warthog and throttle, which will be my first flight sim stick and was hoping you guys might be able to tell me if picking up some rudder pedals would be worth it too? (I've read at the moment they don't really work too well in Elite though.)

If so, then they would also have to fit the Obutto R3volution as I've read that some pedals are too wide. :S

Thanks for any help!
Steaks

To be honest rudder pedals with the Warthog are 100% worth it as they give you decent yaw control, I use Saitek Combat pro pedals and they're excellent.

View control is important and at the moment you can't beat a TrackIR unit. You can cobble a tracking camera together for a few quid using a web-cam, but if you don't want to muck about and just want something that works out of the box, then a Track IR is the kiddie.

Down the road a bit, an Oculus Rift of some flavour will probably be pretty much essential, this will replace the TrackIR unit as head tracking is built into the unit as standard.

I have the Thrustmaster F430 FFB wheel and tried using the pedals for yaw, but didn't get on with it - i'd guess though that if one was used to flying this way (ie. from flight / chopper sims) it might be more managable.

One particular problem i found was that the axes seemed to drift a bit, and i couldn't think of an easy way to keep reseting them.

Ended up dusting off my Saitek Cyborg Evo; the twist yaw works perfectly, and with side thusters mapped to the hat i can dock perfectly in a swift smooth action, with no messing about.

Using pedals i had a lot of faffing around upon final approach.. put me right off trying to persevere with 'em - a twist-yaw stick is SO much better.

Coupled with 4k via double triplehead2go and TrackIR it feels pretty good...

To be honest your use of yaw in flight is only really when docking/undocking, so to spend mega money on pedals is a waste in my opinion.
My advice would be to wait until you get the Warthog as there are a couple of switches which at a pinch can give you yaw control without having to use pedals.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the Saitek Pro Combat pedals a few years ago and in my opinion they offer the best bang for the buck; I got mine off Amazon for about £200.

I only have the pedals as I like flight sims as well as after 30 odd years it feels unnatural for me to use anything apart from pedals for yaw control.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently waiting for the Oculus DK2 (ordered at the end of June, so should hopefully be here soon).
I was close to buying a TrackIR, but as I only have a single monitor I thought it probably wouldn't be as immersive. :/

I was leaning towards picking up some Saitek Combat pedals, but after seeing the MFG Crosswind pedals and reading the reviews, they sound like the crème de la crème of rudder pedals. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm completely new to flying sim peripherals)

Honestly, if I could get away with not using pedals at all, that would be great because getting set up for Elite is starting to become a little heavy on my wallet. xD

Steaks

Congrats for buying the warthog - using it for 2 years now and I couldn't imagine using a plastic stick again.

Pedals aren't an absolute necessity in ED, but they certainly make thinks a little easier and more immersive - moreover you'll definitely want them if you intend to play more serious sims.

I personally use logitech G25 racing pedals which is suboptimal as they work completely different from flight control pedals, but I'm looking at MFG Crosswind pedals atm.

If you preordered a DK2, don't bother with trackir - I've used trackir for a couple of years now and it works great, but having a DK2 for a month now I can safely say that I wont use trackir and my triple 24" 3d screen setup for any flight/racing sim ever again - it doesn't even come close to the rift experience.

my 2 c.

stick and pedals are crucial for dog fighting, throttle is a very nice bonus, trackIr is nice to have but nothing more.

warthog has no stick twist so without pedals you need to have yaw somewhere, also strafe vertical and lateral, try different setups till you feel comfortable but i can't imagine playing with stick without twist (i would get warthog but there is no twist and that's a deal breaker for me).

anyway practice and you will be good ;)

Sod the trackIR, get an EDtracker. Support your local devs!

I'm using the Thrustmaster Flight X HOTAS, with a custom Roccat powergrid set up on my phone, and EDtracker. So far, I'm very pleased with the results. My only problem is that I find myself gripping the stick too hard, and my middle and ring fingers on my right hand ache after playing for ~1.5 hours.

I've got the warthog and the joysticks on the throttle perform the job of yaw, translate in x and y etc very nicely.

Btw had the rift a couple of weeks now.
Very good experience but get it all set up right before you jump into Elite.

I've got the warthog and the joysticks on the throttle perform the job of yaw, translate in x and y etc very nicely.

Btw had the rift a couple of weeks now.
Very good experience but get it all set up right before you jump into Elite.

I was sooo tempted to go for the DK2, but sanity has to rule so I'm holding out for the CV1 assuming there will be a CV1 and not a DK3/4/5 :D

Top Bottom