What's your take on New Elite Ranks?

Hello,

Thats not a good idea. I play with some longer breaks since end of Beta and got 2 'Elite' ranks in trading & exploring. And i'm just an 'Expert' with combat. Lately i'm fighting quite often. Flying a lot of 'Bring us' or 'Deliver' missions because there are always offers for a fight. Usually there are 'Deadly' Anacondas. But the increase in rank is slooooow :sleep: - huuuuh. I know, it is a long way for triple 'Elite'

But basically @Darkman Returns is right
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
There are plenty of things that really need fixing in Elite Dangerous I really wish the Devs would stop trying to reinvent the wheel ☸️ and spend their valuable time on something that adds value.

Well, some poeple (not me!) burn out on combat ability of elite NPC ships and start to find them less of a challenge. If Frontier want to extend deadliness of AI beyond it is now it makes sense to make the rankings more granular, by adding more. However, if you recalibrate the ranks you have to tell people with triple Elite they are no longer are .. and that's much less easy to communicate than just adding more ranks above.

So while I totally understand the legacy and nostalgic reasons for disliking the idea (KS backer and all that) there seems to me to be good reason for adding ranks and for me the games (Elite -> FE2 -> EFE -> ED) are all about moving forward, both in game tech and in game scope. So actually I'm pretty comfortable with letting it go, moving on and I don't mind.

as most have said here its a big no from me for elite+1
it actually offends my soul a little when you take into account @drew 's post

no. 4 is what's happening with Odyssey with the inclusion of mercenary and exobiology ranks

as a side note how many ranks are they looking to include by?

I’ve had a further ponder over it and discussed it with my dog, and we’re both happy to release the following statement to Lave Radio, should they wish to include it in any future broadcasts:

“I’m not normally one to indulge in hyperbole - but having ranks above Elite is taking 36 years-worth of the game’s history and lore and taking a massive dump on it from a great height, generating a turd-blossom the likes of which have not been seen since the Late Cretaceous period when Quetzalcoatlus - the largest flying dinosaur ever known, standing as tall as a giraffe when landed - last flew our skies.
Lots of love, Arioch”

😁

Last edited:
During Episode 336 we discussed the idea of a new rank grind where Shan was incredibly against the idea, but Ben was more “meh” about the whole thing, so we thought we’d get your opinion, do you want:

1. Ranks above Elite (i.e. Elite+ or Archangel)
  2. The existing ranks to be spread out more? (i.e. Very Deadly etc)
  3. A prestige mechanic
  4. Recognition for a greater variety of game achievements (i.e. Mining, AX, Passenger, etc)
  5. No changes to the current ranks
  6. Change what you like about Trade and Exploration Ranks, but leave Combat alone
  7. A new “Post Elite Rank” grind (i.e. The Banking Consortium has noticed your trade rank and we’d like you do do some jobs for us, etc)

whats my take on it?

joke-happy-horse-healthy-planet-_manure.jpg

could have spent that coding time creating small seismic charges rather than coding more horse crap into the game.

During Episode 336 we discussed the idea of a new rank grind where Shan was incredibly against the idea, but Ben was more “meh” about the whole thing, so we thought we’d get your opinion, do you want:

1. Ranks above Elite (i.e. Elite+ or Archangel)
  2. The existing ranks to be spread out more? (i.e. Very Deadly etc)
  3. A prestige mechanic
  4. Recognition for a greater variety of game achievements (i.e. Mining, AX, Passenger, etc)
  5. No changes to the current ranks
  6. Change what you like about Trade and Exploration Ranks, but leave Combat alone
  7. A new “Post Elite Rank” grind (i.e. The Banking Consortium has noticed your trade rank and we’d like you do do some jobs for us, etc)
I once talked about Elite Bronze, Silver, Gold, then Platinum additions, just to keep people feeling like achievement was always a goal. So I guess we can see what happens here.

Edit... My talking it once doesn't mean I would want it, but each to their own. The game is a mess and by the time it becomes what we want, we will have burned our fuse and lack the same interest. Take military ranks for example, if they ever become relevant, then the progression will be meaningless if you already have the highest rank now but the missions become more specific and exciting. Who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not keen on Elite+ ranks.

I get both sides.

One one side, you have the triple Eliters. This gives them another achievement to pursue, giving them a purpose to continue playing the game.
You have the combat experts/PVPers who find Elite Engineered ships dull and no challenge and want more powerful and competitive AI.

On the flipside, you have people still aiming for triple Elite or not necessarily aiming for it but for them it's an achievement they have been taking years to get and are nearing, you also have the triple Eliters who are happy with it being one thing on the checklist done and happy to go about pursuing others things in the game. Casual players.
You have the people not combat proficient or 'okay' at it, and are okay with how difficult Elite Engineered NPCs are.

Now, you raise the bar for everyone under the top minority of players that have mayed triple Elite, and the minority which are PVP/Combat Pros, everyone else below finds it too difficult and frustrating.
I remember when Horizons first came out and all the NPCs had Engineered ships, myself and my brother were by no means combat pros, but we were decent and we got utterly thrown around by the NPCs, tail between legs everytime.
We're competitive by nature, and are pretty skilled with FPS online games, but that time totally deflated us and wasn't fun, we took a long break from the game at that point.

People that play WoW, Pokémon Go etc know what it's like when the top level is raised.
It's good for developers as it keeps those avid gamers playing, raising the bar means a higher end-game, it means the release of new things associated with those new levels.
This often makes people that made that initial achievement feel like their time getting that special equipment that's now defunct with one more level, deflated. The people that just made it to the level itself feel like the time they spent needs to now be doubled, tripled etc.
Drive to play a game is well and good, but everyone gets to a point where they look at their life and wonder if they really want to do that for twice the amount of time more.

That said, nobody HAS to get from Elite to Elite+, but for some you're giving a new pursuit, others you're taking away what they've done.
What's the reason for Elite+ other than people that have been playing consistently since the beginning and got triple (Or those that fast-tracked to triple and get bored quickly of games).

If it's for those, then just supply content in the game instead of raising a bar.
If it's for the combat pros, give them areas in the game that they can go to fulfill their requirements, make super Elite, insane AI areas for them like Gears of War Waves, like CoD Zombies. An area that doesn't affect anyone that doesn't want to go there.

Instead of looking for an excuse to keep the top percentile happy but alienating plenty of others, find out what the top percentile want and provide content or the means for them.
Everyone is happy?

Frontier do love tinkering around with things that don’t need it, watching the resultant chaos, and then attempting to patch up the mess. (Eg mining payouts)

But I think it would be the most “courageous” move yet to devalue the meaning of the term Elite, which by it’s very definition means there isn’t anything greater.

Others have already said that there should be medal achievements as there were in FE / FFE to give extra targets to go for, and I think this is a great idea. I was surprised not to see them in game when I first bought it,

Elite is the pinnancle, the goal, and there should be nothing beyond.

Personally, I'd state leave the present system alone. The game is called Elite Dangerous, Not Elite and Beyond Dangerous. If anything there should be some love for becoming an full fledged Admiral, vs stopping at Rear Admiral because there's no incentive to go farther.

Top Bottom