General / Off-Topic When dicing with death; gender doesn't matter.

I do not know why but I can not have compassion.

Perhaps because dying behind the wheel at more than 650 km / h seems normal sooner or later.

However, RIP for the courtesy.

Sad when any young person dies................ However (and dont take this the wrong way) when you choose to do something as bat **** crazy as what she did, then there is always the very real chance it could go wrong. I hope she didnt have kids (I was only vaguely aware of who she was before this morning).

So absolutely, RIP, but she knew the risks and it isnt like she was running into a burning building to save someone.
(This sounds a lot more like i do not give a damn than I mean it too!)

Last edited:
I hope @Arry does not mind... but whilst reading the article this mornign this article popped up.

this one made me sick to my stomach, more than any thrill seeker accident to be honest.

Sad when any young person dies................ However (and dont take this the wrong way) when you choose to do something as bat **** crazy as what she did, then there is always the very real chance it could go wrong. I hope she didnt have kids (I was only vaguely aware of who she was before this morning).

So absolutely, RIP, but she absolutely knew the risks and it isnt like she was running into a burning building to save someone.
(This sounds a lot more like i do not give a damn than I mean it too!)
True: As I tried to say by stating, dicing with death; is not influenced by political correctness or anything else.

The game she chose to play; is a male dominated domain and I think she knew all about the risks. Yet she dismissed all of that and had the nerve and the courage; to go for it. Not many here can say, that they would be able, to do the same.

Yes: It was an insane thing to do, but then adrenalin, doesn't often do sane and the kudos, the rewards if successful, often dismisses, the risks.

She was proof, that equality is only what, you make it to be.

I hope @Arry does not mind... but whilst reading the article this mornign this article popped up.

this one made me sick to my stomach, more than any thrill seeker accident to be honest.
I don't think Jessi Combe, had demons telling her to drive fast cars. Maybe an inner demon; who knows.

Yes; I read this sad news. I always liked her on Mythbusters, she was a very talented individual; very skilled.

I am a big fan of motorsports generally and I put land speed attempts loosely into the category; I am a big fan of all of it but this is another reminder of the risks people choose to take to challenge themselves.

RIP Jessi and thanks; you were too young to go.....

JessieCombsTriumphBonneville.jpg

RIP. She walked the walk. She died doing what she loved, I cannot feel sad for her.

As my wife often tells me, "if you get into a bad motorcycle accident, be sure to die, I'm not taking care of a vegetable", nor would I want her to.

Recently a 22-year-old French driver died at the wheel of his F2.
At Spar. Belgium. The other driver that hit him, is still in the local hospital.

I see out big brave superstar Hamilton, did not want to go out for practice two, at Monza yesterday; because the conditions were a bit tricky. Well as long as he has time to do his hair and get his face time sorted. It will be OK.

At Spar. Belgium. The other driver that hit him, is still in the local hospital.

I see out big brave superstar Hamilton, did not want to go out for practice two, at Monza yesterday; because the conditions were a bit tricky. Well as long as he has time to do his hair and get his face time sorted. It will be OK.

Are you telling me that you would rather see him die in an accident, than be safe after making a sane decision?

Because that its how it reads to me. Had it be someone else, it would have been ok?

I know that many a pilot don't mind facing danger, and even thrive on it. But I'm sure that had Ayrton Sena known before hand what would happen on that faithful 1st may of 1994, he might have done the same as Hamilton. Niki Lauda did the same thing and nobody treated him as a coward. I expected you to value a human life more than that!

The shock was impressive. :oops:

It's Charles Leclerc who has the pole position. :p

Last edited:

Are you telling me that you would rather see him die in an accident, than be safe after making a sane decision?

Because that its how it reads to me. Had it be someone else, it would have been ok?

I know that many a pilot don't mind facing danger, and even thrive on it. But I'm sure that had Ayrton Sena known before hand what would happen on that faithful 1st may of 1994, he might have done the same as Hamilton. Niki Lauda did the same thing and nobody treated him as a coward. I expected you to value a human life more than that!
A little over the top: Me thinks.

I did not say that Nelson's lady, was scared off becoming the next F1 victim.

You may have concluded that, due to the first part of the post: Mentioning the F2 driver, from Spar.

Afraid to scratch his perfect car, maybe? But not about death. Now it looks like Romain is leaving Hass, that risk is reduced, a great deal. If you drive your F! car, into the side of a Digger; you are going to die. I would say he is 5 times safer in that; than his road cars. I genuinely believed that F2 cars, had to be as good as F1s, when it cme to crash testing etc.. It seems not,

Last edited:
.....................because he went out to play more. He OWNED the weekend. That man, has the potential to not have to buy a coffee, or any drink, in Italy, for the next 75+ years!

Yes, he has a big potential to be a great driver because he is still very young.

Good luck to him in the future.

I think that the Italian coffee is a very good coffee.

:)

I gotta be honest here, I think that feminism, various organisations and feminists, themselves, often don't do women any favours in these situations.

Feminism seems to encourage women to "compete with men", organisations take advantage of the "virtue signalling" that comes from hiring women and the women, themselves, sometimes do reckless things as a result of the urge to "compete with men".

Does anybody REALLY think Marussia was thinking of anything except PR when they hired Maria de Villota (a woman with minimal single-seater racing experience) to be a test-driver for their F1 team?
She sat around F1 garages, looking pretty, for a year and then, tragically, T-boned a team lorry when she finally got a chance to drive the car in a test.

Similar thing with Jessi Combs, I'm afraid.

She was certainly a petrolhead, and maybe the most important thing you need to set a land-speed record is good luck, but her CV doesn't suggest she had any business sitting in that vehicle.

If the organisation was determined to have a female driver, maybe they should have spoken to Danica Patrick or Pippa Mann (amongst others) but, then again, maybe a more experienced driver would have refused the offer.

I'm absolutely in favour of women competing in motorsport (it is, after all, an arena where physical strength isn't necessarily going to be the deciding factor) but I'm absolutely against putting anybody - which, in this context, means women - in positions which they don't have the training or experience to do safely just for the sake of virtue-signalling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom