General / Off-Topic When dicing with death; gender doesn't matter.

I gotta be honest here, I think that feminism, various organisations and feminists, themselves, often don't do women any favours in these situations.

Feminism seems to encourage women to "compete with men", organisations take advantage of the "virtue signalling" that comes from hiring women and the women, themselves, sometimes do reckless things as a result of the urge to "compete with men".

Does anybody REALLY think Marussia was thinking of anything except PR when they hired Maria de Villota (a woman with minimal single-seater racing experience) to be a test-driver for their F1 team?
She sat around F1 garages, looking pretty, for a year and then, tragically, T-boned a team lorry when she finally got a chance to drive the car in a test.

Similar thing with Jessi Combs, I'm afraid.

She was certainly a petrolhead, and maybe the most important thing you need to set a land-speed record is good luck, but her CV doesn't suggest she had any business sitting in that vehicle.

If the organisation was determined to have a female driver, maybe they should have spoken to Danica Patrick or Pippa Mann (amongst others) but, then again, maybe a more experienced driver would have refused the offer.

I'm absolutely in favour of women competing in motorsport (it is, after all, an arena where physical strength isn't necessarily going to be the deciding factor) but I'm absolutely against putting anybody - which, in this context, means women - in positions which they don't have the training or experience to do safely just for the sake of virtue-signalling.
She, the topic of the thread: Was just doing her own thing. I would say, each and every day.

As to boys competing with girls? Some do, some don't and some don't even feel, the need to.

I understand that the woman that won the formula W series; gets to drive an F1 car next year, but again: It feels, obligated.

She, the topic of the thread: Was just doing her own thing. I would say, each and every day.

As to boys competing with girls? Some do, some don't and some don't even feel, the need to.

I understand that the woman that won the formula W series; gets to drive an F1 car next year, but again: It feels, obligated.

Uhuh,

I just worry about the whole "Go out and do whatever you want to do" thing, especially when there's nobody around to provide a reality-check as to whether it's smart for you to be doing it.

Honestly, my main concern, these days, is the cold-blooded way various organisations will take advantage of women by putting them into dangerous positions, knowing that they aren't really qualified to be there, but happy to accept the publicity that their virtue-signalling generates.

Similar thing with Jamie Chadwick, the winner of the sketchy Formula W championship.
She's got a total of 24 races in single-seater cars, all in the last 12 months, on her CV.
And now she is, allegedly, headed for F1?
When you look at some of the drivers that F1 has chewed up and spit out, she's got almost no chance of success.
She might do, if she gets a chance to hone her skills in other single-seater formula for a couple of years before entering F1, but right now all she's going to do is generate publicity for Formula W and Liberty Media at the expense of her own career.

Uhuh,

I just worry about the whole "Go out and do whatever you want to do" thing, especially when there's nobody around to provide a reality-check as to whether it's smart for you to be doing it.

Honestly, my main concern, these days, is the cold-blooded way various organisations will take advantage of women by putting them into dangerous positions, knowing that they aren't really qualified to be there, but happy to accept the publicity that their virtue-signalling generates.
Humans have been doing the "Go out and do whatever you want to do" thing"; for centuries now and dying etc., as a consequence. Girls have been exploited and sometimes, allowed themselves to be exploited; for their own ends, for about the same amount of time. Letting girls, 'have a go' because it is the vogue thing to do right now; won't change that fact.

In France, for the first eight months of the year, Road Safety has recorded 2133 deaths on the roads.

I suppose in the other countries, there are also road accidents.

I genuinely believed that F2 cars, had to be as good as F1s, when it cme to crash testing etc.. It seems not,
I dunno, did you see the accident? i dont think any car would survive that.... possible i guess - i have seen a few accidents where i never expected the driver to survive and sometimes they even get out on their own and walk away............ but that was a really nasty one - worst one i have seen in a long time.

Last edited:
I dunno, did you see the accident? i dont think any car would survive that.... possible i guess - i have seen a few accidents where i never expected the driver to survive and sometimes they even get out on their own and walk away............ but that was a really nasty one - worst one i have seen in a long time.
Yes, I have seen it. The car was cut in half. Being the second impact, may have contributed.

Morning J.B. Bored I see.

Don't have clue what you are talking about, maybe you should explain.
You two were acting like the "little lady" or girls in general should be kept away from formula racing "for their own good." It just seemed a bit condescending, perhaps I read you wrong. Mind you, I also thought the thread needed some spicing up as I headed out the door to go to work:)

You two were acting like the "little lady" or girls in general should be kept away from formula racing "for their own good." It just seemed a bit condescending, perhaps I read you wrong. Mind you, I also thought the thread needed some spicing up as I headed out the door to go to work:)
No I am not. You make a statement like that. Back it up with facts.

I have always believed in equality; long before it became fashionable. The same applies to boys and well as girls. Either they can do and compete on the same level; or they can't and all the fashion in the world. Is not going to change that.

I would say that the biggest issue against female drivers today: Is financial backing. Most drivers, to get the top; have required backers. James Hunt, would have never been heard of; without Hesketh and McLaren, backing him. The same can be said, of most of the drivers, from most championships. Without the initial backing, thousands, fall by the way side and are forgotten.

Humans have been doing the "Go out and do whatever you want to do" thing"; for centuries now and dying etc., as a consequence. Girls have been exploited and sometimes, allowed themselves to be exploited; for their own ends, for about the same amount of time. Letting girls, 'have a go' because it is the vogue thing to do right now; won't change that fact.
This statement implies that the girl in question didn't get where she is on her own merits.

This statement implies that the girl in question didn't get where she is on her own merits.
"Humans have been doing the "Go out and do whatever you want to do" thing"; for centuries now and dying etc., as a consequence. Girls have been exploited and sometimes, allowed themselves to be exploited; for their own ends, for about the same amount of time. Letting girls, 'have a go' because it is the vogue thing to do right now; won't change that fact."

No. You really need to slow down, before you reply.

No the statement above: Which is in response to a someone stating that 'females are being used these days due to political correctness'. I said that boys and girls, have been exploited for centuries and sometime; some, will take advantage of that. Now if you think that, that implies that an individual; could not have made it on their own. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZxJIffJiE

just goes to show, toss of a coin in one incident person ends up dead on scene the other person walks away almost unscratched. The car held up amazingly well but if it had landed differently i think the guy would have been stuffed even with all the headgear.

Reminded me of the Kubica accident in 2007, when he hit a wall at max speed. I honestly thought he died in there for a second. Was Relieved when he walked out of the car. At that speed its a miracle the car didn't end up completely flattened. And with the amount of G's involved, someone with less physical training would probably end up with its neck completely snapped.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZxJIffJiE

just goes to show, toss of a coin in one incident person ends up dead on scene the other person walks away almost unscratched. The car held up amazingly well but if it had landed differently i think the guy would have been stuffed even with all the headgear.
That was a lose rumble strip, that caused that moment. The whole thing, lasted less then 2 seconds. I would say that the driver, was very lucky that Halos, are now a thing.

Last edited:
Reminded me of the Kubica accident in 2007, when he hit a wall at max speed. I honestly thought he died in there for a second. Was Relieved when he walked out of the car. At that speed its a miracle the car didn't end up completely flattened. And with the amount of G's involved, someone with less physical training would probably end up with its neck completely snapped.

That clip won't show; it is owned by F1.

His accident, was just after they made the Hans device compulsory. (A neck brace, to stop the head snapping forward.) As you said. I too thought he was dead, the impact was over 70Gs and as you said; once he regained conciousness, he walked away: But I don't think that he was the same again.

Top Bottom