Where has all the research and speculation gone?

One thing I've noticed about the codex is that it really makes it feel like I've already seen everything there is to see. I have found hardly anything new that's listed in the codex myself - only one or two lagrange clouds, spiky things and an anomaly, but the fact that, when you look through what others have found in the codex, you notice that all the regions of the galaxy have these same discoveries present in them, really makes you feel like there's nothing unique to find now. There's no discovering that one region of the galaxy has a brand new spacefaring alien race that you can interact with in diplomacy. There's no hostile sentient AI civilisation hidden out in another region. There's plenty of space-based life now, but no (for example) space whales that move and react in an interesting dynamic way to your presence (like full game NPC AI style movement, where hostility is met by trying to eat your ship or something).

I felt so sure that this "seeding the galaxy with discoveries" would mean that the permit locked regions would be mostly unlocked (barring the thargoid and guardian related ones) and used to house such discoveries. That these discoveries would be significant, and not boiling down to simply looking at them, scanning them, taking a picture and moving on.

I remember when I really thought there were grand mysteries to discover elsewhere in the galaxy, now I'm just kind of disillusioned.

Too much peeking behind the curtain perhaps? After 1600hrs I know how the game operates on so many different levels, so I know what to expect in any given situation, and going across to the other side of the galaxy doesn't change that at all.

- There are no secret faction interactions that unlock a wider narrative or mystery (Gaining access to Shinrarta other than by being Elite? Following the Wreaken storyline? etc...)
- All intrigues and mysteries in Galnet stay in Galnet (I remember when I thought those fluff pieces were actually findable in-game)
- No Tionisla Ship Graveyard
- No Spacewhales
- No Guardian rogue AI to find
- No rogue human AI to find
- Absolutely no way around Permit Locks whatsoever - at one point I thought that there must be something we as a community were missing, some clue, some secret or obscure gameplay or missions that would unlock those permit systems. Not so, apparently.
- All the Thargoid and Guardian breadcrumb trails came to an abrupt stop when we found out where they were pointing to.
- The Club, Formidine Rift and Zurara storyline just got dropped the moment the Salome's final message was discovered, so her final exhortations go nowhere, and the narrative of Premonition just fizzles out.

Just makes me quite sad, to be honest. So much intrigue, interest and mystery, all just smoke and mirrors, and once the trick is revealed, it's no longer impressive.

They have no one writing any story any more I'm afraid. As simple as that.

Cheers,

Drew.

Cheers,

Drew.

And there we have it. That's that then. It's just grind.

All those superb speculation threads and excitement. Until someone is employed to drive a story the game is shelved for me sadly. Absolutely zero reason to explore.

Cheers,

Drew.

Source? Coz, well...

iLy5hd3.png

Last edited:
Coz well what? Since the Formadine and Salome's stories have finished there has been nothing and that was well over a year ago. Writers would be for the Galnet articles and all the other chuff. We haven't had any story or decent deep dive into science since.

....coz well.

Once again. Source?

I'm not going to go in to bat for any of the story threads coming out of FD at the moment, but there's a massive difference between "Bad story" and "No story". There's plenty of other story threads besides those two things. It may not be the story you *want* or are interested in, but nonetheless it's story.

Or to rephrase, FD having "...nobody competent or capable of writing story" is an entirely different statement to "They have no one writing any story any more I'm afraid". It's much more definitive, and last I checked Drew doesn't work for FD, so I want to know the source of that information, or what makes him so confident that FD are outright not writing any story anymore.

Last edited:
Once again. Source?

I'm not going to go in to bat for any of the story threads coming out of FD at the moment, but there's a massive difference between "Bad story" and "No story". There's plenty of other story threads besides those two things. It may not be the story you *want* or are interested in, but nonetheless it's story.

Or to rephrase, FD having "...nobody competent or capable of writing story" is an entirely different statement to "They have no one writing any story any more I'm afraid". It's much more definitive, and last I checked Drew doesn't work for FD, so I want to know the source of that information, or what makes him so confident that FD are outright not writing any story anymore.

Drew has done so much for the game and this community. I daresay he knows what he is talking about and let's show him the respect he deserves. As for Frontier, we should all know by now they are not for sharing the truth openly with us. All good things... I guess.

Drew has done so much for the game and this community. I daresay he knows what he is talking about and let's show him the respect he deserves. As for Frontier, we should all know by now they are not for sharing the truth openly with us. All good things... I guess.

And here's "the cult of drew" to burn the blasphemer.

Sorry mate. "Let's show him the respect he deserves?". Point out where I disrespected him. I can't query someone for more information now? Go jump mate.

I'm not being critical of Drew, or his storytelling, or anything. But let's actually look at this without your cultist's hat on for a second, and what have we got? An author who collaborated with a games company and ended one of their novels on the note of a controversial and not-particularly-well-received event played out in the game, and subsequently parted ways on collaboration on not the most positive terms (according to Drew's blogs, at least).

These aren't questions of Drew or his character or anything. I'd be totally prepared to hear Drew have instead posted "Unfortunately FD haven't had a cohesive plan for a storyline since I left", or "Sadly, FD haven't got a competent writer in their ranks since I left" without question, but guess what, I *respect* him enough to know that he wouldn't trash-post like that.

But instead, we've got a comment that is quite definitive in announcing FD have ceased writing story for the game. That's a very bold claim, and I want to know where it comes from. If whether it's just his speculation, or if there's an official statement from FD, or it's just a bunch of hyperbole, all fine, but heck, I'm allowed to ask.

Go hunt Drew-bashers elsewhere mate, I'm just after more info.

Last edited:
And here's "the cult of drew" to burn the blasphemer.

Sorry mate. "Let's show him the respect he deserves?". Point out where I disrespected him. I can't query someone for more information now? Go jump mate.

I'm not being critical of Drew, or his storytelling, or anything. But let's actually look at this without your cultist's hat on for a second, and what have we got? An author who collaborated with a games company and ended one of their novels on the note of a controversial and not-particularly-well-received event played out in the game, and subsequently parted ways on collaboration on not the most positive terms (according to Drew's blogs, at least).

These aren't questions of Drew or his character or anything. I'd be totally prepared to hear Drew have instead posted "Unfortunately FD haven't had a cohesive plan for a storyline since I left", or "Sadly, FD haven't got a competent writer in their ranks since I left" without question, but guess what, I *respect* him enough to know that he wouldn't trash-post like that.

But instead, we've got a comment that is quite definitive in announcing FD have ceased writing story for the game. That's a very bold claim, and I want to know where it comes from. If whether it's just his speculation, or if there's an official statement from FD, or it's just a bunch of hyperbole, all fine, but heck, I'm allowed to ask.

Go hunt Drew-bashers elsewhere mate, I'm just after more info.

Look, I get that you're upset, may I say that we all are? But you are over-reacting, and it's not helping.
You can hardly expect Drew to start giving us chapter and verse. He clearly decided to give us the heads-up, which is more than we can hope to get from Frontier. I'm not accusing you of anything, just suggesting that we take what he has to say at face value, on the basis of who he is and what he has done for us. It seems to me that he's telling us what we already know, which is why it is a bitter pill. If we want the game to live again we have to be smarter than this. My opinion... I'm just sharing it.

Cheers,

Drew.

Nice to see you drop by Drew, do you have a notification set up for every time someone mentions Salome? :p

It is a shame that the current writers don't seem to be interested in doing a proper overarching storyline that we can interact with.

Would you come back if Frontier were interested?

Last edited:
Look, I get that you're upset, may I say that we all are? But you are over-reacting, and it's not helping.
You can hardly expect Drew to start giving us chapter and verse. He clearly decided to give us the heads-up, which is more than we can hope to get from Frontier. I'm not accusing you of anything, just suggesting that we take what he has to say at face value, on the basis of who he is and what he has done for us. It seems to me that he's telling us what we already know, which is why it is a bitter pill. If we want the game to live again we have to be smarter than this. My opinion... I'm just sharing it.

Mate. It's a simple question.

Drew said "(FD) have no one writing any story any more I'm afraid".

I want to know what the source of that statement is. If it's just opinion, fine, whatever. If it's actually an authoritative source, I'm keen to see that too. You and HamishUK seem to have got your nose out of joint because I've simply asked a question.

If you both want to back-pedal at this point, I'm happy to, because if Drew's going to respond, the following exchange:

Cheers,

Drew.

Source? Coz, well...
<snip>

potential response said:
Not a fact, just my opinion
or
alternative said:
link here

...would've been an entirely civil exchange without you two "leaping to take a bullet" because I dare seek more information from a non-FD employee making a fairly authoritative statement.

Frankly, the responses to Drew's comment seem to be taking it as written-gospel-as-good-as-from-FD. That's not Drew's fault, but I'm totally unsurprised that people would be lemmings in seeking confirmation of their own little echo chamber.

Oh, and yeah, I am upset. Who wouldn't be when two people jump down your throat just for asking a goddamn question.

Last edited:
Mate. It's a simple question.

Drew said "(FD) have no one writing any story any more I'm afraid".

I want to know what the source of that statement is. If it's just opinion, fine, whatever. If it's actually an authoritative source, I'm keen to see that too. You and HamishUK seem to have got your nose out of joint because I've simply asked a question.

If you both want to back-pedal at this point, I'm happy to, because if Drew's going to respond, the following exchange:

or

...would've been an entirely civil exchange without you two "leaping to take a bullet" because I dare seek more information from a non-FD employee making a fairly authoritative statement.

Frankly, the responses to Drew's comment seem to be taking it as written-gospel-as-good-as-from-FD. That's not Drew's fault, but I'm totally unsurprised that people would be lemmings in seeking confirmation of their own little echo chamber.

Oh, and yeah, I am upset. Who wouldn't be when two people jump down your throat just for asking a goddamn question.

If there is someone writing a story it probably wont be leaked until later once they have the story with how secretive they have been recently. Could try asking someone like Paige but I doubt we would get a straight answer.

If there is someone writing a story it probably wont be leaked until later once they have the story with how secretive they have been recently. Could try asking someone like Paige but I doubt we would get a straight answer.

Yeah... from my perspective FD have no shortage of short-story plot threads or other tidbits floating around... they just lack the will to actually follow-through with game mechanics tied in around them.

It wouldn't surprise me if FD had abandoned any attempt to develop story further in favour of this 18-month thingo... and tbh it would behoove them to actually say something about it if they were. 18 months of expecting even just a little development in the Thargoid plot threads and not seeing it would be worse than knowing there was nothing happening for the next 18 months.

Last edited:
Folks. I'm not speaking for Fdev, it's more an observation on what has been in GalNet over the last year. Characters popping up with no particular preamble, some rather dodgy science (uber powerful portable nuclear bombs spring to mind), no long term story threads - at least none I can decipher. Power play characters not doing much etc. All the recent GalNet articles look like little snippets of text, flavour and nothing much more.

Obviously *somebody* is writing this stuff, so there are some writers in the literal sense of the word. Perhaps I should have been clearer - there is very little emphasis on writing a compelling overaching lore/story/narrative in the game at the present time and hasn't been for a while. Focus appears to be elsewhere. :)

Sorry for the upset.

Would I write some stuff again? Of course I would. I have offered, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the time being.

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
I would love to learn more about Guardians and what happened to them, what Thargoids really are and what they are up to, who runs Janus corporation, who is the Black Flight, is Sirius corporation run by androids, why pres. Hudson makes weird literature references, who are those people in distant asteroid stations, what was the Exodus project really about, where is Cirag, what happened when GalCop fell, who are the team Thunderchild, what is Alliance doing in California nebula, did Jaques have a secret missive, why did people upload starcharts into crystals, what is in Polaris, what is witchspace, what are The Elite Pilots Federation doing on Shintara, and so on. This is the sort of stuff you are talking about, right?

You can make quite a story about all these reading some stuff, taking a few wrong turns and filling the gaps. I fear the story in this game would burn up fast if they started fully revealing everything. And then there is the fact the full story won't satisfy all insightful followers of it. I already don't like some stuff in the Codex, Empire part especially. I still disagree with the common explanation about the Exodus project, while having read Drew's books and liking them. Being introduced to this game would be boring if all story, and Thargoid invasion, had already started and gone.

In a way it's like a platform for your own stories, own journey. Procedural myth, like Raxxla codex. A strange philosophy perhaps. The Dark Wheel station is difficult though, it looks so obvious it's out there somewhere, but where is it then? Next week I'm going to engineer some shield cell banks, and going for a little exploration trip, area decided by a simple wordplay and knowing I won't find anything, it's ultimately only a weird past time hobby.

But then, I hope to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Folks. I'm not speaking for Fdev, it's more an observation on what has been in GalNet over the last year. Characters popping up with no particular preamble, some rather dodgy science (uber powerful portable nuclear bombs spring to mind), no long term story threads - at least none I can decipher. Power play characters not doing much etc. All the recent GalNet articles look like little snippets of text, flavour and nothing much more.

Obviously *somebody* is writing this stuff, so there are some writers in the literal sense of the word. Perhaps I should have been clearer - there is very little emphasis on writing a compelling overaching lore/story/narrative in the game at the present time and hasn't been for a while. Focus appears to be elsewhere. :)

Sorry for the upset.

Would I write some stuff again? Of course I would. I have offered, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the time being.

Cheers,

Drew.

Yesterday I saw your fine yt-vid with your Raxxla analysis. You state there that they have authors for each of the parts of the game. You stated that they even have an author or someone who deals with special projects but it is all secret. Maybe I missed it but why will they not have you anymore?
Best, Henoch

Last edited:
Top Bottom