Newcomer / Intro Where to find Chemical Manipulators

I need this item for a level 5 FSD Distance modification with the engineers. I'm not sure where to find it? Is it acquired via missions? It doesn't seem like something I'd acquire via scanning wakes... or is it a component of wreckage when you shoot a ship? I'm more interested in earning it vs. going to buy it, but I'm not above buying them if it's easy... but don't mind doing the work to get it, just not sure how/where to do so.

I need this item for a level 5 FSD Distance modification with the engineers. I'm not sure where to find it? Is it acquired via missions? It doesn't seem like something I'd acquire via scanning wakes... or is it a component of wreckage when you shoot a ship? I'm more interested in earning it vs. going to buy it, but I'm not above buying them if it's easy... but don't mind doing the work to get it, just not sure how/where to do so.

Found in amongst wreckage.

Wasn't there a mega ship with lots of them in debris fields around it?

Go to Okinura and visit the 'Naphtha Class Tanker'. Unlimited chemical manipulators...

(If none spawn just save/reload your game)

...good spot for other materials to. (Refined Focus Crystals, Configurable Components, Heat wotsits...)

Bring a collector limpet controller + limpets to save banging your head against the wall with the cargo scoop.

Last edited:
I need this item for a level 5 FSD Distance modification with the engineers. I'm not sure where to find it?....................

No murder required, bits lie around to be picked up in your SRV, re-logging re-spawns more materials in the same 10 locations:

6eLBHdd.jpg

There are more types of materials there than are listed in this graphic (not by me).

... don't be a murderer, pick up litter instead. ;)

I am being half sarcastic here (but only half) ... go look for Imperial Shielding and you will find lots of Chemical Manipulators.

I have been out for the past several days looking for Imperial Shielding, in Empire systems, following suggestions in forums about where to locate these items (Outbreak, War, Boom, etc) and only found one source in all that time that gave me any. I came across tons of Chemical Manipulators.

So, go check out Empire Systems in Outbreak. That is where I spent a fair bit of time (without much luck for me, but like I said, I saw lots of what you are looking for).

Good Luck.

I am being half sarcastic here (but only half) ... go look for Imperial Shielding and you will find lots of Chemical Manipulators.

I have been out for the past several days looking for Imperial Shielding, in Empire systems, following suggestions in forums about where to locate these items (Outbreak, War, Boom, etc) and only found one source in all that time that gave me any. I came across tons of Chemical Manipulators.

So, go check out Empire Systems in Outbreak. That is where I spent a fair bit of time (without much luck for me, but like I said, I saw lots of what you are looking for).

Good Luck.

Not sure what your rank is with Empire but my god...

Go to Achenar!!

Just traveling from the main star to the resident engineer I found 3 high grade emissions and all of them had Imperial Shielding.

Not sure what your rank is with Empire but my god...

Go to Achenar!!

Just traveling from the main star to the resident engineer I found 3 high grade emissions and all of them had Imperial Shielding.

Thanks. I don't have a rank with the empire. I am over 100% for the first rank but never got the mission to get promoted. I assume I need a rank / permit for Achenar (I'll check when I am online tonight). I'm a Fed guy. If I do need a permit for Achenar, I will start working on that. Wouldn't hurt to have access to Achenar.

Dav's Hope worked for me. Got a whole boat load of materials for engineers I haven't unlocked yet as well.
So I went to visit Farseer with 6 rolls available for my Pythons FSD upgrade and ended up with a FSD that would have been worse than my level 4 upgrade if I had applied it!

Also if you find any anarchy system, go to a resource site and shoot the miners, meaning transport type ships, even asp explorers. Most of the ships drop some.

Here's a system guide on where to find them:

Look in any Independent or Anarchy Systems that have the following State of War or Civil War and are Industrial, Refinery, Extraction or High Tech

You can find them in Salvage wreckage of transport ships or in high emissions or encoded emissions signal sources.

Hope that helps since systems often change their state and such it's better to know the formula...

Hmm just flew over here, 0 materials. Just scanning stations.

I have lost count of the number of times I have taken my three commanders there and I have never experienced a lack of spawned materials.

Did you perhaps go in open or a PG and actually arrive there when there was another player in the instance who had just scooped up all 10 of the spawned materials? If so just mode-switch and watch the stuff appear.

As stated above, you do need to be in your SRV but I assume you know that.

I've been to Dav's Hope. It involves lots of mode switching and driving the same circuit multiple times. Not a fan of mode switching myself as it doesn't feel like playing the game.

I try to pick up all my mats in the course of my normal game play. If I'm short and need a particular material or data I've found Cmdr Galenrog's "Scavenger" resource to be by far the most useful starting point:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RsDxfAcQa7cBq0YUIFy3m2NII/edit#gid=1438475835

For Chemical Manipulators I've found Signal Sources to be by far the best place to get them. You want to look for Combat Aftermath in High Security and Anarchy systems and Encoded Emissions in High and Medium Security systems. Focussing on High security systems will double your chances as you will find both Encoded Emissions and Combat Aftermath. It seems that Combat Aftermath is more likely in systems with ongoing wars or civil wars. So a High Sec system in a state of war/civil war is the best place to go. You can use the Galaxy Map to find a system close to you that offers the best odds. It's not uncommon to find 4 (x3 = 12!) or more Chemical Manipulators in a single Signal Source.

After a while you will start to get a good idea of the kind of materials you can expect to find in what Signal Sources if you maintain awareness of the state of the system you are flying in. For instance if I'm flying in an Outbreak system I will scan every Signal Source and drop into any High Grade Emissions because that is where you find the elusive Pharmaceutical Isolators.

Last edited:
I've been to Dav's Hope. It involves lots of mode switching and driving the same circuit multiple times. Not a fan of mode switching myself as it doesn't feel like playing the game.

Couldn't agree more. As much as I am trying not to be a "baddie" and attack supply ships in famine systems (children are starving and dying, damn you!), I have tried to do the Dav's Hope "Loop of Despair" and it is really immersion-breaking, not to say essentially cheating, to re-log and hope for RNG to drop you your exact needed material.

I am sitting in my SRV at Dav's hope as I'm writing this and contemplating what should I do then...?

Couldn't agree more. As much as I am trying not to be a "baddie" and attack supply ships in famine systems (children are starving and dying, damn you!), I have tried to do the Dav's Hope "Loop of Despair" and it is really immersion-breaking, not to say essentially cheating, to re-log and hope for RNG to drop you your exact needed material.

I am sitting in my SRV at Dav's hope as I'm writing this and contemplating what should I do then...?

If that is how you feel then the answer lies in the self destruct button.... ;)

Until recently when I did a tour of planetary sites I've never been to Dav's Hope or any of the logging grind sites. I have 18 fully G5'd ships. No one has to go to those sites.

Top Bottom