Where to pay off my fine?

Been playing according to the record... about 25 days. Something about the crime and fine system escapes me.

What is the process for paying off my fines?
1. Sometimes the menu option is there and it is obvious.
2. Other times when it gives me the opportunity to pay off old fines it is a surprise. It seems inconsistent and random.
3. Being able to access fines at the intergalactic authority (or whatever it is called) is super-rare at best.
4. Of course there is the issue of "legacy fines"... which I also don't understand. I know as a fine matures it becomes a legacy fine.... beyond that I have no understanding.

I assume the controlling faction has a lot to do with what fines are available to be paid?
Perhaps the area where I operate now doesn't function in the same way as the area I started the game? Empire vs. Alliance.

Last edited:
You can pay off a fine at two places:
1. at any station in all systems where the faction that fined you is present,
2: at Interstellar Factors, they charge you 25% extra and are only present in low security systems (see Galaxy Map).

Legacy fines are the final state of fines and bounties. If you get a fine it has a 7-day countdown timer attached to it. If you pay the fine before the timer runs out the matter is settled. If you don't pay in time the fine turns into a bounty and your status becomes WANTED and the bounty gets a new 7-day timer. (note: bounties can not be paid off and if you commit a major crime you get a bounty instead of a fine.) If you are WANTED the game sends Bounty Hunters after you to destroy you and cash the bounty (players can hunt you too). Also system security ships that scan you will find out you are wanted in their system and try to destroy you. If you survive the 7 days with a bounty the bounty turns into a legacy fine and your WANTED status is removed. A legacy fine has no timer attached to it and can be paid off at your convenience in the usual places (note: in the current version of the game nothing bad happens if you don't pay off legacy fines).

If you get destroyed you restart in the last station you docked before you were destroyed. Here it gets a little complicated. If that station is owned by the faction that wants you they add the bounty value to your rebuy bill and the matter is settled (assuming you have enough money). If the restart station is somewhere else your bounty turns into a dormant bounty that gets a new 7-day timer but your WANTED status is removed so no one hunts you anymore. However, if you are scanned by security ships of the faction that wants you the bounty is reactivated with a new 7-day timer (and they try to destroy you). If you get through the 7 days without reactivating the dormant bounty it turns into a legacy fine. (note: only security ships of the faction that wants you can reactivate the bounty.)

It is quite complicated, here's a schema https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...or-no-reason?p=4643703&viewfull=1#post4643703

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: ick
Top Bottom