Newcomer / Intro Where's a good place to buy ships?

I'm looking for a viper at the moment but am having a lot of trouble locating one to buy. Any suggestions as to a location where one can buy ships that has a good inventory?

I'm looking for a viper at the moment but am having a lot of trouble locating one to buy. Any suggestions as to a location where one can buy ships that has a good inventory?

Papin City in 7 Andromedae, Seven Holm in Tamor, and a few others in that general vicinity have good stock (though I've never looked for a Viper, to be honest.) All Li Yong-Rui systems, so the 15% discount applies.

Ship and Module supply changes day to day / week to week, so people don't tend to have specific locations for purchasing. Most players, as mentioned, use EDDB to find stations that currently stock what they're after.

Quick tip: buy your ships & modules from Li Yong Rui controlled/exploited space. It may take you a little out of your way, but they give a 15% discount, so 15% off your rebuy.

Diaguandri, Ray Gateway. High tech system. All ships and modules 15 % off.
This is where I get most of my stuff too. Panshin Ring in Fiden is just around the corner and has some stuff Ray Gateway lacks. For people with at least one Elite rank there's of course always Jameson Memorial in Shinrarta Dezhra with all the ships and modules that exist at 10% discount.

IMHO, it's not worth flying to the systems that offer discounts on ship and module costs for two reasons. Firstly, in the time it takes you to get there, you could probably have earned more money. As an example, it will take say 20 minutes to fly to Diaguandri from a starter system to get a 20,000cr discount on a Viper. You can make, on average, 300,000cr in 20 minutes using the basic starter Sidewinder to farm bounties in a high resource extraction site, so in the same time, you'd have enough money to buy two Vipers at full price and keep the money that you would have spent on the discount one.

Secondly, the discount is only an illusion. When you sell the ship, you only get the discounted price for it. If you had paid the full price, you get the full price back when you sell it. Whatever you paid, you get the same money back as if it were a loan, so you didn't save anything.

........... When you sell the ship, you only get the discounted price for it. If you had paid the full price, you get the full price back when you sell it. Whatever you paid, you get the same money back as if it were a loan, so you didn't save anything.

Minus a percentage - only modules sell at full purchase price.

IMHO, it's not worth flying to the systems that offer discounts on ship and module costs for two reasons. Firstly, in the time it takes you to get there, you could probably have earned more money. As an example, it will take say 20 minutes to fly to Diaguandri from a starter system to get a 20,000cr discount on a Viper. You can make, on average, 300,000cr in 20 minutes using the basic starter Sidewinder to farm bounties in a high resource extraction site, so in the same time, you'd have enough money to buy two Vipers at full price and keep the money that you would have spent on the discount one.

Secondly, the discount is only an illusion. When you sell the ship, you only get the discounted price for it. If you had paid the full price, you get the full price back when you sell it. Whatever you paid, you get the same money back as if it were a loan, so you didn't save anything.

On the other hand, for a more expensive ship is does pay off, if you plan it right, and for example include a side trip to an engineer after buying the ship. And the discount is also included into the rebuy, which is then also 15% (Li Yong-Rui) cheaper.

On the other hand, for a more expensive ship is does pay off, if you plan it right, and for example include a side trip to an engineer after buying the ship. And the discount is also included into the rebuy, which is then also 15% (Li Yong-Rui) cheaper.
Op was talking about a Viper though. My advice is for beginners because this is the beginners forum.

Now that a beginner can make enough to buy a top spec Anaconda in a day, your point has some validity. The 15% discount on a top spec Anaconda is around 120 million, which is a couple of hours work in a mining Python that was the ship you used to get the money for the Anaconda, so you save about 1 hr 40 minutes. The saving on a mining Python is about 14 million, which takes about 30 minutes to get with a mining Asp, so, all things considered, that's about the break even point to make it worth travelling to a discount system.

Obviously, if you find that you're next door to a discount system when you need a new ship, it's worth taking the opportunity Every time someone asks where to buy a ship, people on the forum tell them to go to a discount system. My point is that in many if not most cases, that's not the best option. The best option at the beginning of the game is in nearly all cases to spend time doing activities that increase your net wealth rather than waste time flying between systems. As I already said, when you sell that discounted ship, you lose the 15% that you saved, so the time you spent flying to get it was wasted, except when you keep an expensive discounted ship forever.

Even at Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth, I still like my ships and major equipment to be discounted.
It cuts down rebuy and more importantly transfer fees.

Why waste money when I only do things for fun ? it only whittles away at my fun fund.

Even at Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth, I still like my ships and major equipment to be discounted.
It cuts down rebuy and more importantly transfer fees.

Why waste money when I only do things for fun ? it only whittles away at my fun fund.
That was very true back when the game first started and credits were hard to earn, but now, from a new start, without any skill, you can have enough credits to buy a top spec Anaconda within about 12 hours. When you're making 1/4 billion a trip, discounts are irrelevant. Credits no longer have any value as currency. Engineering materials are the new currency that you need.

Hmmmm!. What are you going to see on the way from Kremainn to Diaguandri - 20 yellow stars?

I just spent two hours flying from Kremainn to Diaguandri. Scouted a few locations, did a few canyon runs, practiced my FA Off NPC punting, scanned some stuff, completed a few assassination missions, etc.

Was worthwhile, even for me, even though I wasn't looking to do anything in particular.

Top Bottom