Which HOTAS should I buy?

Hi Commanders,

I've recently bought used Saitek X-45, my fist HOTAS ever, and I fell in love with having Stick and Throttle setting to play with immediately. The problem is my X-45 is garbage. Calibration is all over the place, unstable-changing constantly and throttle is even turning off occasionally when cable connecting the stick and the throttle moves (which is often).
Do you have any idea if this is fixable and if it is how?

If problem is not fixable and I just throw away 35 bucks :( , I'd like to hear from you which Hotas should I buy. I mostly play ED, IL2 and DCS world.
I'd love to get Thrustmaster warthog but it's financially out of my reach unfortunately.
I was thinking of combining VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II Stick with Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle:
Would this be a good combination or should I rather go with something like Saitek X-52 or T.16000M FCS or something else? My budget is south of $200?

Last edited:
Well personally I would be reluctant to buy Saitek again after terrible issues with their X-55 Rhino years ago. Whether the new stuff now Logitech has taken over is more reliable I don't know.

Many people seem to like the T16000M stuff and then again people who get a good version of the Saitek X52 think it's the best thing since the previous best thing. If you get a X-52 from Amazon - you can return it for a refund if you don't like it - same with the 16000 stuff.

I use CHPro stuff (Fighterstick plus throttle is outside your price bracket though) so my info is from previous use, not current.

Last edited:
Well personally I would be reluctant to buy Saitek again after terrible issues with their X-55 Rhino years ago. Whether the new stuff now Logitech has taken over is more reliable I don't know.

Many people seem to like the TM 16000 stuff and then again people who get a good version of the Saitek X52 think it's the best thing since the previous best thing. If you get a X-52 from Amazon - you can return it for a refund if you don't like it - same with the 16000 stuff.

I use CHPro stuff (Fighterstick plus throttle is outside your price bracket though) so my info is from previous use, not current.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with Saitek either. Build quality is subpair. I don't know if X52/56 are any better, but X45 feels very cheap.
Do you know anything about VKB products? Are they any good? Their VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II looks much more "PRO" than TM 16000 stick and is priced nearly the same.

No. I have not used that. I did try a Cobra 5 from VKB and I really didn't like it at all. However the newer stuff from them is supposed to be very good. Hopefully a VKB user on here can chip-in with some advice. In the meantime you could start with this thread about the Gunfighter to give you an idea of VKB stuff:

Here is a toob video comparing the Gladiator with the T16000 stick:

Last edited:
No. I have not used that. I did try a Cobra 5 from VKB and I really didn't like it at all. However the newer stuff from them is supposed to be very good. Hopefully a VKB user on here can chip-in with some advice. In the meantime you could start with this thread about the Gunfighter to give you an idea of VKB stuff:

Here is a toob video comparing the Gladiator with the T16000 stick:

Thank you very much. Very interesting video comparison. VKB looks like much better quality stick. I found some review on IL2 forum, also very positive compared to X55 stick. I'll buy VKB TH throttle combo and see how it works.

I just bought the T16000M, TWCS throttle and pedals, and couldn't be more happy. To my taste, there is not enough space between the pedals, but joystick and throttle are perfect.

No. I have not used that. I did try a Cobra 5 from VKB and I really didn't like it at all.
Defender M5 Cobra is an odd case which I studied back in the day. Apparently VKB teamed up with some cheap manufacturer to make that stick. There's 3 different versions and if you get one now, you are likely to get Rev.B, which has cheaper electronics. Apparently the middle one was pretty good.

Current VKB sticks seem to be more enthusiast grade. Virpil is similar.

I'm going to second (or third, whatever is appropriate) recommendations for the T16000M. Awesome budget stick & throttle, also what I've been using for a while now.

I just picked up a Warthog HOTAS on sale, still working out the bindings as the throttle has a large number of toggles but not many momentary contacts or hats.

I picked up a used T16km stick/throttle earlier this year. I like the throttle a lot, and the stick didn't have enough buttons for me (on the stick itself; I grew up with the FLCS similar to the Warthog but pre-USB and plastic). I skipped the Warthog as it didn't have a twist axis, and skipped the X56 as I didn't want to deal with quality/reliability questions given the price tag. I ended up replacing the T16km stick with the VKB SCG, which is wonderful. Yesterday I replaced the TWCS throttle with the Virpil throttle -- now that is an impressive beast.

I'll echo the T16km as a great place to start (especially the throttle). Although personally I wish there was a better stick with hats+twist in the $150 range, and a way to buy the Warthog throttle alone; I think that's what I would have started with if I could have.

Like this you mean?

;)

:) How does that gif go, "Well yes, but no"? I should have said, "at a price point half the price of the pair". For me here (US) that amazon price for the throttle is $273, when the pair regularly goes for $300-$400, so it didn't occur for me as a "worth it" price.

:) How does that gif go, "Well yes, but no"? I should have said, "at a price point half the price of the pair". For me here (US) that amazon price for the throttle is $273, when the pair regularly goes for $300-$400, so it didn't occur for me as a "worth it" price.

I know what you mean - here in the UK the price for the "set" is about £60 cheaper than buying each separately.

I bought the Thrustmaster T16000M and the joystick died within a few weeks. The throttle still worked (with the application of the right lubrication) but it just didn't have all the control options I wanted. I bought a Virpil Throttle and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. It's got loads of switches and buttons, and it's built like a tank. I'm still on the hunt for a joystick though, the main sticking point is it's got to have a twist axis and I've not yet seen one that has the layout that I want plus the extra axis.

Top Bottom