Which is the better combat vessel: Dolphin, Orca or Beluga?

I've been mat farming the past few days with this in mind, but I'm not sure which is best. I have many of the standard combat ships and thought I should add one these passenger liners to have a bit of fun with it for combat purposes. I prefer large ships, but not exclusively as I have fun in Viper, Vulture, FDL, Mamba, Krait and other small to med ships. Which one would you choose for combat?

Last edited:
Which is the better combat vessel: Dolphin, Orca or Beluga?

Human.

lunar whaling.jpg

I have a combat Beluga, it's a lot of fun.

I use mine exclusively for assassinations. If you're looking for suggestions, here is my build.

That build isn't complete but it's a start.

You could change the Pack hounds to Frag cannons if you don't have them unlocked. I think Mr. Rick6549 runs a frag cannon Beluga if I remember correctly. He is the foremost authority on Beluga's in these parts.
That link is broken for me, but I get the idea. I have most combat PP modules unlocked. I can see a packhound beluga as a nice support role in a wing.

Yeah sorry, Coriolis is being weird for me today. It won't generate shortlinks and the regular links aren't working well.

The gist of it is:
  • All packhounds with extra ammo and various experimentals
  • 6A Armored, monstered PP (Don't go with overcharged, heat is an issue with this thing)
  • size 6 fighter bay
  • 6C biweaves. Build them for max resistances. The Beluga will never get high absolute numbers so go for fast recharge.
  • The rest of the internals are HRP's and MRP's. This thing can hull tank pretty darn good. 5K+ absolute and around 10K with resistances.

The Orca makes a great combat ship without guns, just beef up the shield and use it to ram the targets, works great. And they can't catch you if you run away.

I recently built and am now using a harmless Orca Explorer. When I am done with exploring, I shall remember this and try it out. I've never deliberately rammed ships to death, so it will be a new experience :D

What is a good engineered boost speed with the Orca?

Looking at builds with dirty drives, it was promising about 500 straight line speed and almost 650 boost !

I'm using clean drives at the moment for exploration, and the ship is cool enough to start jumping before fuel scooping has finished.

The Beluga, far and away, is the superior ship for general combat. 5 medium hardpoints and SLF alone give it a huge offensive advantage when compared to its siblings. Couple that with its laughable armor and hull (which has seen it used more for ramming than passenger ferrying), and its an astonishingly effective beast considering it was never meant to be combat-oriented in the first place.

The Beluga Liner is my second favorite ship (after my beloved DBX) and among the many reasons I love it is the fact it handles itself well in most PvE scenarios when needed. Fully kitted and engineered for defense, it's a strong multi-role (that shouldn't be) that looks good, too.

Dolphin has its uses but isn't terribly capable except in light-combat.
Orca simply lacks the necessary hardware and stats to really shine in combat. Can you fight in it? Sure, you can fight in anything - even a Hauler - but would you?

I recently built and am now using a harmless Orca Explorer. When I am done with exploring, I shall remember this and try it out. I've never deliberately rammed ships to death, so it will be a new experience :D

Looking at builds with dirty drives, it was promising about 500 straight line speed and almost 650 boost !

I'm using clean drives at the moment for exploration, and the ship is cool enough to start jumping before fuel scooping has finished.
Yikes! I think i'm leaning towards the Orca for this test.

Top Bottom