Which one: Far Cry 4 or 5?

Thanks for that :) Don't suppose I can just park the 3 other AI's somewhere and ignore them? :)

They don't get in the way too much, are almost completely autonymous with no micro management needed... plus you can use them to take enemies out with stealth using the sync shot. They also help out reasonably well if it goes loud...and they'll revive you if you go down.

They stop the game being all Splinter cell...less of the Sam Fisher and more of a team based adventure. They'll also let you know some useful info every now and then. All in all, GR Wildlands is a very polished game with lots of replay value. I've played it on Xbox and PC over the last 2 years or so and it's still a go to favourite for a bit of milsim-ish romp both solo and coop. I've certainly put a few hundred hours into the game over the 2 years I've played it.

Story wise it's certainly very Hollywood... heroic but secretive American special forces versus dodgy South American drug cartel...but the game does it pretty well for all that. The few cut scenes there are are non intrusive and are there just to advance the story at appropriate points in the game.

I'd genuinely give GR Wildlands a 9/10...it ticks all the boxes without being too serious an undertaking. The added bonus is that the multiplayer side is totally separate from the campaign, the design being first and foremost a single player campaign with optional coop mode seamlessly built in...the PvP side is a different menu selection all together and completely secondary to the design of the game.

The campaign is also completely non linear and lets you advance the story at your own pace. There's plenty of random encounters and side missions to keep you entertained, the main campaign and story you can complete in any order or manner of your chosing.

Last edited:
They don't get in the way too much, are almost completely autonymous with no micro management needed... plus you can use them to take enemies out with stealth using the sync shot. They also help out reasonably well if it goes loud...and they'll revive you if you go down.

They stop the game being all Splinter cell...less of the Sam Fisher and more of a team based adventure. They'll also let you know some useful info every now and then. All in all, GR Wildlands is a very polished game with lots of replay value. I've played it on Xbox and PC over the last 2 years or so and it's still a go to favourite for a bit of milsim-ish romp both solo and coop. I've certainly put a few hundred hours into the game over the 2 years I've played it.

Story wise it's certainly very Hollywood... heroic but secretive American special forces versus dodgy South American drug cartel...but the game does it pretty well for all that. The few cut scenes there are are non intrusive and are there just to advance the story at appropriate points in the game.

I'd genuinely give GR Wildlands a 9/10...it ticks all the boxes without being too serious an undertaking. The added bonus is that the multiplayer side is totally separate from the campaign, the design being first and foremost a single player campaign with optional coop mode seamlessly built in...the PvP side is a different menu selection all together and completely secondary to the design of the game.

The campaign is also completely non linear and lets you advance the story at your own pace. There's plenty of random encounters and side missions to keep you entertained, the main campaign and story you can complete in any order or manner of your chosing.

Cheers Mole. Nice write up. One last follow up before I return to shooting people full of arrows.....Any point in picking up the Ultimate edition? That includes the Season Pass, the year 2 pass and a quick start pack? Or are they more aimed at the Multi-Player (either Co-op or PVP) side of things.

Cheers Mole. Nice write up. One last follow up before I return to shooting people full of arrows.....Any point in picking up the Ultimate edition? That includes the Season Pass, the year 2 pass and a quick start pack? Or are they more aimed at the Multi-Player (either Co-op or PVP) side of things.

There's a few bits of kit (guns mainly) for the single player game plus a very short add on campaign... but most of the stuff in the season pass is particularly for the PvP side. I didn't buy into the season pass thing since none of the included stuff interested me as I'm more into the story mode, I still run the vanilla version.

A good game that's currently on sale on Steam for a couple of quid is Dishonored...that's well worth a look if you haven't played it. The complete package which has Dishonored with all DLC and additions, Dishonored®: Death of an outsider™ and Dishonored 2 is only £57. 3 games for the price of 1, all of them get very positive ratings.

The difinitive edition of Dishonored on it's own is £7.99, it gets overwhelmingly positive review ratings on Steam... I'm sure I played it on the Xbox but couldn't get into it...no idea why since I'm really enjoying it now on PC.

Last edited:
There's a few bits of kit for the single player game plus a short add on campaign but most of the stuff in the season pass is particularly for the PvP side.

A good game that's currently on sale on Steam for a couple of quid is Dishonored...that's well worth a look if you haven't played it. The complete package which has Dishonored with all DLC and additions, Dishonored®: Death of an outsider™ and Dishonored 2 is only £57.

The difinitive edition of Dishonored on it's own is £7.99, it gets overwhelmingly positive ratings on Steam...

Thanks again :)

Already have all the Dishonoured package, loved the first one but really struggles with the 2nd and Death of an Outsider. Not sure I can really explain why though. The Clockwork Mansion really didn't help for the 2nd one.

was wondering about that one, but it seemed to be more aimed at multiplayer rather than single. Is that incorrect? No interest in multi player part.

It works perfectly well as a single player experience. If you like open-world games I think you'll like it.

Ditto STALKER 'Shadow of Chernobyl' and 'Call of Pripyat' - both are unnerving and genuinely scary in their own way. Avoid 'Clear Sky', it's pretty weak.

Last edited:
In the pursuit of a balanced view (honest guv!) I played a bit of FC5 and GRW (Ghost Recon Wildlands) 'back-to-back'. And the short story is that if you enjoy FC, I suggest GRW is well worth a go.

It plays fine in single player, and the third-person view is okay, not least as it vanishes once you bring up your weapon to use the sights.

I suggest turning off the mini-map in GRW - after which I'd say the experience is very similar to FC5, albeit the problems presented tend to be a bit more complex in terms of numbers of enemies to be confronted, and so can require a bit more thought and planning (and time). The size of the play area in GRW is huge (at a rough guess four times that of FC5) and varied. Some parts jar for me - the ability to carry so much weaponry that you'd not be able to move, and the over-abundance of resupply/rearm points - but overall it feels a bit more grown-up than FC, and the story feels way less intrusive - so none of those mandatory mini-movies in FC5.

Alas there's no charismatic Pagan Min to enjoy, just a rather surly and grumpy drugs baron, who might as well be made from cardboard. DEA agent Ricky Sandoval is perhaps the most intriguing character - but it's best you let the game tell you his story.

Downside - FC5 is a beautiful place to visit, and imho looks a lot nicer overall, and FC allows (rewards?) 'going loud' in a manner that GRW doesn't. I've been playing Outpost-Master in FC5 and using Molotov cocktails and proximity charges, and enjoying seeing the NPCs running here, there and everywhere as I whittle them down.

So, after FC4 I'd strongly recommend trying GRW. Ubisoft are continuing to update it, so it's not a dead product, yet.

In the pursuit of a balanced view (honest guv!) I played a bit of FC5 and GRW (Ghost Recon Wildlands) 'back-to-back'. And the short story is that if you enjoy FC, I suggest GRW is well worth a go.

It plays fine in single player, and the third-person view is okay, not least as it vanishes once you bring up your weapon to use the sights.

I suggest turning off the mini-map in GRW - after which I'd say the experience is very similar to FC5, albeit the problems presented tend to be a bit more complex in terms of numbers of enemies to be confronted, and so can require a bit more thought and planning (and time). The size of the play area in GRW is huge (at a rough guess four times that of FC5) and varied. Some parts jar for me - the ability to carry so much weaponry that you'd not be able to move, and the over-abundance of resupply/rearm points - but overall it feels a bit more grown-up than FC, and the story feels way less intrusive - so none of those mandatory mini-movies in FC5.

Alas there's no charismatic Pagan Min to enjoy, just a rather surly and grumpy drugs baron, who might as well be made from cardboard. DEA agent Ricky Sandoval is perhaps the most intriguing character - but it's best you let the game tell you his story.

Downside - FC5 is a beautiful place to visit, and imho looks a lot nicer overall, and FC allows (rewards?) 'going loud' in a manner that GRW doesn't. I've been playing Outpost-Master in FC5 and using Molotov cocktails and proximity charges, and enjoying seeing the NPCs running here, there and everywhere as I whittle them down.

So, after FC4 I'd strongly recommend trying GRW. Ubisoft are continuing to update it, so it's not a dead product, yet.

Yes, Wildlands are great. The fact that they "encourage" stealthier approach is only a good thing. I really enjoyed setting up ambushes, picking guards one by one, etc. It can get a bit samey, but I even enjoyed the story loop and the feel of the game. It was nice to be a part of a proper "wetworks" operation, instead of being just a "cowboy with a lot of guns"

50%-60% sale now on Ubisoft games - on Steam and direct at Ubisoft - GRW, FC5 and FC5 New Dawn included.

e. I've picked up New Dawn. Despite all the unskippable nonsense I did enjoy FC5, so I'm hoping that it's okay for 19£.

Last edited:
50%-60% sale now on Ubisoft games - on Steam and direct at Ubisoft - GRW, FC5 and FC5 New Dawn included.

e. I've picked up New Dawn. Despite all the unskippable nonsense I did enjoy FC5, so I'm hoping that it's okay for 19£.

Considering that it really is a FC5 DLC, rather than a full game they are trying to present it as, I guess 19 quid is indeed okay.

FC5 has a way better environment. The gun play has been tweaked and feels just right. FC4 and 3 the gunplay felt a little off to me. The team mates you can recruit is a nice touch. The story is ridiculous just skip it.

Will, I've tried FC5 New Dawn for about seven hours, and it's dreadful.

Bullet sponge animals and enemies, just not rewarding to play, and not worth 19£.

Give it a miss and play FC5 again.

Will, I've tried FC5 New Dawn for about seven hours, and it's dreadful.

Bullet sponge animals and enemies, just not rewarding to play, and not worth 19£.

Give it a miss and play FC5 again.

I actually reinstalled the GR:W as a result of this thread and am replaying it and having a blast.
No bullet-sponginess - a headshot is a headshot. No non-sensical story and characters, tactical gameplay, proper helpful NPC team,... Very few modern shooters feel THIS satisfying to play.

Last edited:
The original Far Cry is still better than all the sequels IMHO. From 2 onwards, they all go off on a weird tangent - too scripted, linear and 'forced', whereas the original had that organic non-linear feel. Like the difference between OFP and the Arma series. Or ED vs FE2/FFE.

The original Far Cry is still better than all the sequels IMHO. From 2 onwards, they all go off on a weird tangent - too scripted, linear and 'forced', whereas the original had that organic non-linear feel. Like the difference between OFP and the Arma series. Or ED vs FE2/FFE.
There is no difference between OFP and Arma except graphics and improved mechanics. The missions all play the same across all of the franchise. Except OFP didn't have join in play. You had to start the miissions from a lobby. I miss those days. I seemed to enjoy gaming much more back in 01-02

About half way through 4 at the moment and enjoying it immensely :)

Found that Ghost Recon Wildlands has a demo so gave it a go for a couple of hours. Jury is out a little. Mainly I think because I'm supposed to be part of a "elite" squad. Why on earth do I need to gain skills for the synchro kill thingy?! Still have a couple of hours left on the demo to convince me to buy :)

In all honesty, I'd say Ghost Recon: Wildlands. It's the best open world Ubisoft game of recent times. I've completed all the Far Cry games and 3/4 are the best overall. 1 is too linear (altough it is brilliant) and 2's malaria mechanic kills the game

on humble there is a sale for both fc5 and new dawn +fc3 and fc5 dlcs for 40$.
FC5 has a very large world and can be interesting to play in. Although the animals have that hyper aggression problem just like fc4 did. NPC's dont always perform well and can be a pain with the constant chatter, tendency to react oddly to situations and some forced story scenematics that you cannot skip. for the sale price it is worth picking up if you like the Far Cry series.

Will, I've tried FC5 New Dawn for about seven hours, and it's dreadful. Bullet sponge animals and enemies, just not rewarding to play, and not worth 19£. Give it a miss and play FC5 again.

I've finished FC5 New Dawn, and my opinion has improved from 'dreadful'. In summary, it's okay, with some quite neat aspects to it, and dare I suggest it's the prelude to the return of the 'TriGens' (or similar)? Let's hope so, as Far Cry 3 was crying out for TriGens on the second island, which for me was a dull experience.

One thing is for sure, the game was (imho) never worth full price, but at 19£ it's okay value and I'd advise waiting for it to be around the 15£ mark - as this would make it a decent buy given the antagonists barely register, and the side/back stories aren't anything special.

There is one portion that is very 'Heart of Darkness'/'Apocalypse Now' in its feel, which was neat. The side/helicopter missions are also a bit of a laugh. However the game feels oddly unbalanced, with tedious bullet-sponge enemies to start with, latterly becoming almost one-shot kills, and the main 'story' is really very weak/light, to the point of being largely irrelevant.

Some of the companions are neat (only available one at a time now), with Horatio the Boar being pretty effective in melee, and the environment is quite fun to travel around. Without a bit of configuring it is horribly/wonderfully gamey - with hit points and health bars - these can fortunately be disabled. Once finished there's a bit more you can do, but overall, whilst it's okay, it feels like a game that is less than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom