Which one: Far Cry 4 or 5?

Have a little spare cash for one or the other. as Humble have a sale on at the moment on UbiSoft games

On a gameplay front only, which one to pick?

Suggestions and reason please :)

Gosh, good question.

4 has Pagan Min - their best villain in ages. The inescapable set pieces (and cut scenes) in 5 are hugely annoying, as is being kidnapped whilst flying a helicopter alone(!). 5 has companions of real value and no endless towers needing to be climbed, but 4 has (imho) a much better (and ambiguous) story, and 5's ending is 'not exactly brilliant'.

If I was forced to play one.... blimey I don't know. Probably 4, just because Pagan Min is a great counterpoint, whereas the Seed 'family' are way less than the sum of their parts, sadly.

But it's a very close call. Both are great in their own way, but buy 4, I guess it'll be cheaper. Then when you're bored 5 will be cheaper than it is now.

Sorry, I've not helped much.

Last edited:
FC 4 is better.

FC 5 had way too many compulsory cutscenes with actors staring meaningfully into camera whilst talking a load of shyte...irritation factor of 99.95%

Gosh, good question.

4 has Pagan Min - their best villain in ages. The inescapable set pieces (and cut scenes) in 5 are hugely annoying, as is being kidnapped whilst flying a helicopter alone(!). 5 has companions of real value and no endless towers needing to be climbed, but 4 has (imho) a much better (and ambiguous) story, and 5's ending is 'not exactly brilliant'.

If I was forced to play one.... blimey I don't know. Probably 4, just because Pagan Min is a great counterpoint, whereas the Seed 'family' are way less than the sum of their parts, sadly.

But it's a very close call. Both are great in their own way, but buy 4, I guess it'll be cheaper. Then when you're bored 5 will be cheaper than it is now.

Sorry, I've not helped much.

Helped loads actually. One of the reasons I loved Far Cry 3 was Vaas, by far my favourite villain in a game. If Pagan Min is half as good then I'll be a happy camper.

Helped loads actually. One of the reasons I loved Far Cry 3 was Vaas, by far my favourite villain in a game. If Pagan Min is half as good then I'll be a happy camper.

Sounds right. Pagan Min is about half as good as Vaas. Nowhere near as charismatic or interesting, but still quite entertaining.
I felt completely disinterested in story in FC5. Zero memorable characters. But action is at it's most mad and ludicrous ever in FC game. So there's plenty of fun to be had. Apart from those moments when you are "abducted" and forcefully fed bland story. And you can't avoid it. Ruined the game for me.

Sounds right. Pagan Min is about half as good as Vaas. Nowhere near as charismatic or interesting, but still quite entertaining...

I vaguely preferred Min over Vans, but both were great protagonists antagonists.

Has anyone tried the latest FC5 (New Dawn)? Has is got the mindless and interminable cut scenes like 5?

Last edited:
I vaguely preferred Min over Vans, but both were great protagonists.

Has anyone tried the latest FC5 (New Dawn)? Has is got the mindless and interminable cut scenes like 5?

Watch the Mighty Jingles' "review" on that. It convinced me not to buy it. Apparently this railroading is much more prominenet and annoying there and the villains suck big time. I really didn't like the 5 (Worst Far Cry game in my books compared to 4 being the best or tied with 2) but new dawn looks really bad. Bad villains, idiotic asset flip of 5 (although it's supposed to be set after the nuclear strike there is no sign of that) and bad story that forces you into actions (in cutscenes) that you would never take.

....and bad story that forces you into actions (in cutscenes) that you would never take.

Thanks Chris. It seems they are heading for 'interactive movie' rather than game. What a shame. I'll avoid, given that it is this aspect of FC5 that I found the most ridiculous. That and the tedious monologues.

I also thought FC4 to be excellent. Pagan Min was so well drawn and deftly acted. Vaas a very close second.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. It seems they are heading for 'interactive movie' rather than game. What a shame. I'll avoid, given that it is this aspect of FC5 that I found the most ridiculous. That and the tedious monologues.

I also thought FC4 to be excellent. Pagan Min was so well drawn and deftly acted. Vaas a very close second.

Yeah, I agree with the "interactive movie" description.
And it is extra annoying in a game that is trying to look like an open-world choice-based game. It just slaps you in the face.

Min was awesome. A proper antagonist. Vaas was really cool but they dropped the ball with the story - he kind of fizzled towards the end and then you killed him and kind of nothing happened. It was weird.

Last edited:
...Vaas was really cool but they dropped the ball with the story - he kind of fizzled towards the end and then you killed him and kind of nothing happened. It was weird.

Yeah - the second island of FC3 was disappointing for me as it was screaming out for TriGens. It would have been great if the island had been populated with these as legacy beasties (from FC1), emerging in increasing numbers making you join up with your enemies to rescue your friends (along with the big-bad boss). This could also have enabled a hugely ambiguous choice in the final scene - offered the choice of the death of a friend with the boss, or the escape of both. As it was I found the second island really quite dull.

I enjoyed the ambiguity of FC4 with Sabal and Amita both being 'difficult allies'.

The ending to FC5 I found ridiculous. 'In my humble', a much better twist would had been that in opposing the Seeds, and forming the wider community into a highly effective fighting force, you had in fact completed their mission for them, and Hope County under your leadership had finally become the bunker-mentality survivalist cell that the Seeds had always wanted. Perfect for the coming storm. Now THAT would have been a proper twist!

Last edited:
Had a couple of hours playing FC4 now, as far as I can tell it's just FC3 in a different place. Basic game play (Towers, outposts etc) is basically the same. Pagan Min seems fun though :p

Enjoying it so far :)

Had a couple of hours playing FC4 now, as far as I can tell it's just FC3 in a different place. Basic game play (Towers, outposts etc) is basically the same. Pagan Min seems fun though :p

Enjoying it so far :)

As far as the gameplay loop goes, they're not reinventing the wheel - the 5 and New Dawn are exactly the same, also.
But story and characters are at its best in 4, imho.

Had a couple of hours playing FC4 now, as far as I can tell it's just FC3 in a different place. Basic game play (Towers, outposts etc) is basically the same. Pagan Min seems fun though :p Enjoying it so far :)

Yup. That's the down side of FC4 in that the towers exist. I find them a very tedious game mechanic in both 3 and 4, and their absence from FC5 is very welcome. Alas 5 has other issues to compensate.

Another game worth a look is Ghost Recon Wildlands. It has a huge playable area and becomes first person when using sights. It also has halfway decent plot. It also has no towers and very very few cut scenes.

Yup. That's the down side of FC4 in that the towers exist. I find them a very tedious game mechanic in both 3 and 4, and their absence from FC5 is very welcome. Alas 5 has other issues to compensate.

Another game worth a look is Ghost Recon Wildlands. It has a huge playable area and becomes first person when using sights. It also has halfway decent plot. It also has no towers and very very few cut scenes.

was wondering about that one, but it seemed to be more aimed at multiplayer rather than single. Is that incorrect? No interest in multi player part.

was wondering about that one, but it seemed to be more aimed at multiplayer rather than single. Is that incorrect? No interest in multi player part.

Perfect as either single player or up to 4 player coop. Single player gives you a team of 3 rather dim AI team mates to order around in a decent military shooter...As for the game play, to me it's how the Division should have been. It plays like an old fashioned pick up and play Tom Clancy franchise title, perfect for a drop in and play coop. If I'm playing single player campaign, mates can drop in and out as they please at any point, replacing the dumb as rocks AI team mates...if the mates drop out, the AI automatically drops back in to replace them without interrupting the gameplay.

It's not as complicated as the likes of ARMA but more milsim related than Battlefield or COD. It's a very pretty game graphically with various atmospheric locations set in Bolivia.

The single player story campaign is as big and detailed as it is fun to play...huge map, very good and varied gameplay with vehicles and the odd helicopter to zip around the map when needed. Decent stealth and cover mechanics too which is important.

All in all, GR Wildlands is a firm favourite for me both single player and with a few mates playing coop....the PvP nonsense side of GR Wildlands I've never tried, not my thing for a Tom Clancy title ;)

Last edited:
Perfect as either single player or up to 4 player coop. Single player gives you a team of 3 rather dim AI team mates to order around in a decent military shooter...As for the game play, to me it's how the Division should have been. It plays like an old fashioned pick up and play Tom Clancy franchise title, perfect for a drop in and play coop. If I'm playing single player campaign, mates can drop in and out as they please at any point, replacing the dumb as rocks AI team mates...if the mates drop out, the AI automatically drops back in to replace them without interrupting the gameplay.

It's not as complicated as the likes of ARMA but more milsim related than Battlefield or COD. It's a very pretty game graphically with various atmospheric locations set in Bolivia.

The single player story campaign is as big and detailed as it is fun to play...huge map, very good and varied gameplay with vehicles and the odd helicopter to zip around the map when needed. Decent stealth and cover mechanics too which is important.

All in all, GR Wildlands is a firm favourite for me both single player and with a few mates playing coop....the PvP nonsense side of GR Wildlands I've never tried, not my thing for a Tom Clancy title ;)

Thanks for that :) Don't suppose I can just park the 3 other AI's somewhere and ignore them? :)

I played them both and liked them both. FC4 was basically fly to a location, kill everyone and fly off to the next location. FC5 did have alot of cutscenes with the Seeds. I will give it a higher rating for more of an adventure and a feeling of openness. The ending was trash in my opinion. Buy FC5 after you played FC4 and then come back and give us your own opinion.

Top Bottom