PvP Who else loves annoying gankers and denying them their prey?

Video of me avoiding a ganker attack and some general rules of thumb.

You can see in this video some of the common ways of avoiding a ganking without having to go into solo or private group.

Always have shields. Let me repeat that. ALWAYS HAVE SHIELDS! Do you hear me?!

If you jump into a high gank area keep 4 pips to shields and two pips to engines.

Once you jump into a high gank system keep an eye out for typical ganking ships. These include FDL (popular), Mambas (becoming popular), Kraits (it's just great). Also, watch out for ships in wings. It's a high possibility they're in a ganking group.

Try to scan suspected ships while in supercruise. If they have a high bounty, and sometimes just a 200cr bounty, they're probably a ganker.
Note: If they don't have a bounty at all they can still be a ganker.

If they have an interdictor there's a high chance they're a ganker.

If you say "O7" to them or general chat and they don't respond, they're either a ganker, in VR, or couldn't be bothered to respond. Assume they're a ganker. lol

If they're doing maneuvers instead of heading straight for Jameson Memorial, they're absolutely a ganker, a ganker in training, or someone who should not be in that system. Very few of these are ganker hunters. It is safe to follow a rule of thumb that if you see a ship doing maneuvers they're a ganker.

If a ship tries to maneuver behind you there's a high chance they're a ganker. The exception is you, of course. Once you jump into a system try to scan all hollow triangles. You'll probably do this once.

If a ship is a hollow triangle. Assume they're a ganker.

And finally, if you see any other hollow ships other than yourself, assume they're a ganker.

The above, is by no means, a complete list of ganker traits, but they're a good start in identifying gankers.

---

When the video first starts you see me getting interdicted. Try to avoid. If it looks like you can't, submit. As soon as you drop turn flight assist off and fly around like you have ants in your pants. Charge your friendship drive when it is ready. You should either be high-waking to another system, which is the preferred method or jump to supercruise.

The gankers may (will) try to gank you again. Be aware of this. When you see them trying to get behind you, wait till they're almost in a ganking angle then emergency drop. The faster you're going the better. Once you drop charge your frameshift drive immediately when it's ready. Depending on how fast you drop will determine how fast the ganker can drop into your wake (if they're good). So keep flight assist off and prepare for maneuvers.

Once your frameshift drive charges, don't immediately jump. The gankers might still drop into your wake. Keep your velocity below jump speed. Wait a few minutes. If the gankers don't drop out into your wake after a while they may have moved on to easier prey. If they do jump into your wake, jump. This will allow you more time to get to your destination while the gankers' frameshift drive charges.

Keep in mind that you're always exposed to gankers. When traveling to your station do not slow down.

There are two ways of avoiding gankers as you get close to the station. Spiral in at almost full speed or emergency drop right before you reach the station.

The spiraling method works well, but you have to maintain a non-ganking angle between you and the ganker at all times. Your speed will be greater than 75% or less than 100%. If you cannot execute the spiral method well, or just don't have confidence, choose the emergency drop method. You can also emergency drop using the spiral method if you determine that you cannot maintain the non-ganker angle.

The emergency drop methods include the steps of heading towards your station at full speed and right before you get to your target, emergency drop. This takes a bit of timing. You have to drop about two to three seconds before you hit your target. This is because you continue moving even though you drop. You want to drop in front of your target and not behind. You're closer to the station if you drop in front vs dropping behind. You should be a few or a fraction of a light second from your target. Once your frameshift drive is ready, jump and repeat the process until it's safe to drop out normally.

So there you have it. Just a few easy rules of thumb to live by. You too can have fun avoiding and ing off gankers by denying them their prey!

Fly safe, CMDR, and I'll see you in the black! O7

Not bad, really.
A few comments from me:
  1. The 4-2-0 pip setting is not really a rule to life by. Anything between 4-2-0 and 2-4-0 can be good, depending on your ship and your loadout. Normaly a pip is a good investment to keep you perma-boosting. Probably not if you fly a T9. More pips to the thrusters means more agility, means less chance to get hit, if your ships has some agility to start with.
  2. The low-wake/high-wake question: If you are either faster or heavier (cough, mass-lock, cough) you can low-wake. If your shields are strong enough. If your are neither, high wake right away. High wakes can not be masslocked.
  3. FSD-Reset missiles (Groms) are only a problem if they can hit you. See 1.
  4. If you want to drop before high-waking, try to slow down to get a normal drop. Emergency drops come with a very long cooldown of your fsd. If you plan a bit ahead and you see them coming, you can normaly get a regular drop and can leave right away.

I'm not so brave. As I posted in another thread. I farm data at Dezrha in open on weekends in my I-eagle.
I've been chastised and rammed hiding in the no-fire zone.
Lead them to the edge of the no-fire zone and boost 3-4 times.
At over 800 boost, their weapons can't catch me.
Then back to pg or solo, get back to the no-fire zone at the station then back in open.
YES I'm weak.

Last edited:
The best way to annoy gankers, (Imho) is to use a ship which has absurd manuverability stats and high speed.

When it's a wing of medium (sensible) ships and one or two big bois, the pilots in the big vessels will start filling the comms with abuse and salt because they find themselves being about as much use as a wet teabag.

Utterly hilarious. Ieagle or Icourier :3 Have fun!

But then also I am a ganker..

I'm not annoyed by someone who learned the game mechanics. Though a fair amount of them are.

Also you missed out gravitybreaks. If your target station is in close orbit to a planet, get in close, swin round and with practice you've dropped at the station faster than you would with the so called "six second rule".

The best way to annoy gankers, (Imho) is to use a ship which has absurd manuverability stats and high speed.

When it's a wing of medium (sensible) ships and one or two big bois, the pilots in the big vessels will start filling the comms with abuse and salt because they find themselves being about as much use as a wet teabag.

Utterly hilarious. Ieagle or Icourier :3 Have fun.
😂

The TL;DR version - assume everyone is ganker, even your cat, no, especially your cat :D

Good advice on the emergency drop. I think many people either don't know about it or don't consider it or they simply don't like taking damage.

Totally agree on flying fast agile ships, however, i don't like being forced into a particular type of ship just to play in open.

My go to routine is to immediately target the closest body and get there fast and drop throttle in orbital cruise. You cant be interdicted in orbital cruise. It's actually pretty entertaining to sit there and watch noob gankers fail and call you a cheat. It gives you respite to maneuver and scan all hollow markers in the system. If it's a hot system, you can jump from body to body. It makes an exciting cat and mouse.

I'm not so brave. As I posted in another thread. I farm data at Dezrha in open on weekends in my I-eagle.
I've been chastised and rammed hiding in the no-fire zone.
Lead them to the edge of the no-fire zone and boost 3-4 times.
At over 800 boost, their weapons can't catch me.
Then back to pg or solo, get back to the no-fire zone at the station then back in open.
YES I'm weak.

By whatever means necessary, brother!

I applaud you for your efforts.

The TL;DR version - assume everyone is ganker, even your cat, no, especially your cat :D

Good advice on the emergency drop. I think many people either don't know about it or don't consider it or they simply don't like taking damage.

Totally agree on flying fast agile ships, however, i don't like being forced into a particular type of ship just to play in open.

Cats are always gankers. They are inherently evil. They will jump on you/your keyboard/your hotas to prevent you from avoiding a gank.

But isn't irritating gankers fun?! I get a perverse satisfaction out of it. That's why I always stream in open.

I just do my best to defeat the interdiction, nothing better than winning that and knowing that not only have they failed, but also that they now have to wait ages for their FSD to cool down...

But they are the best ships though :D

I do love my Orca (passengers), Clipper (trade), and Viper (courier).

I feel relatively safe in those when flying in open since they can outrun most gankmobiles, especially the viper which can be out of their sights in a fraction of a second.

The type 10 mining ship though... yeah, while its not going to get mass locked by a ganker, its going to be sitting there getting pounded on while the FSD charges, and even with > 500 shields plus resistances, i don't think it would survive a ganking. I think my only chance would be ramming speed if i got interdicted.

Having said that, i haven't seen another player, let alone a ganker in the last week or so of playing in open, so the risk has been minimal. Actually, i tell a lie, saw one guy who briefly appeared on my radar for a second before zipping out of range.

To me gankers are a bit like NPCs, they interdict with no chance to succeed in killing me.

They are more of an annoyance than a serious threat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Was ganked in the true sense of the word (wing of 3, including a Conda) last night, and by the cheapest type - the ones that do it in an AX CZ. Not only do they have the element of surprise - you don't really expect human CMDRs to be hostile in those, although I'm changing my view on it as it's happening more often lately - but they take advantage of plenty of scouts and at times a couple of Thargoid interceptors attacking you at the same time, all the while you being in a ship that is outfitted for Goiding and thus useless against other CMDRs (at least in terms of offensive capability). Not to mention you usually have to deal with corrosive damage from Goid attacks, which I did.

So there I was in my Scout Killer Phantom, getting attacked after a short time of them waiting and presumably watching me in the CZ. A giveaway I've learned since is them not going green on the radar (if they accept the mission to fight the Thargoids) and also to check their outfitting (human weapons = gankers), also their avatar pics tend to be a clear giveaway (pink/green/blue hair and/or face tramp stamps).

First time I managed to low-wake, as I wanted to see if they follow me. They interdicted me shortly after, I managed to get away by high-waking, although they dropped my shields at that point. I still managed to squeeze a 'bye bye' into comms just to add a bit of spice to the whole thing.

Given they were likely to wait for me to return to the system, I moved to the next Incursion system (thankfully I outfitted my ship with both Fuel Scoop and FSD booster so no biggie).

They obviously copped on eventually and arrived in that system also, where in the meantime I and another CMDR were busy fighting goids. When I saw more ships dropping in I immediately checked one ship, recognised the CMDR name from earlier and legged it without problems.

It was fun in its own way - while I wasn't quite able to do what I set out to (grinding combat rank by whacking scouts) the emergent gameplay as a result of those ganksters was not totally unwelcome either. And if I really wanted to get on with my initial task I could've switched to solo I guess.

But isn't irritating gankers fun?! I get a perverse satisfaction out of it.
Yes it is, at least for awhile. It was the last "profession" I was occupying myself with in the game, though I eventually grew bored with it after a couple of weeks. There's no doubt I was irritating them based on the nasty chats they'd send me.

Top Bottom