Who has RTX 3090, AMD 9 5950x + HP Reverb G2 - What frame rates are you getting at maximum settings?

I'm thinking of purchasing a RTX 3090 and would be interested to know what frame rates I could get with my HP Rever G2

I already have an AMD 9550x CPU & Radeon RX 6900 XT CPU and with this combo can get 45 ish fps in stations and on foot (everywhere else 60+ fps) and was curious to know if a RTX 3090 would improve frame rates.

I'm run the G2 at 100% Steam VR resolution and EDO with HMD 1.0 and maximum every other setting.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for linking the video. I have already tuned my 6900 XT GPU to Gamers Nexus recommended settings and have been achieving a stable and fast clock rates. And I appreciate there are functional differences between the 6900 XT and RTX 3090, so that is why I was focusing on what the cards are actually achieving in game by FPS.
I believe by setting Steam VR to 100% the G2 is running at 4k
So if someone else has a RTX 3090 with the same/similar CPU (EDO isn't really limited by CPU, but higher the better), what they are achieving in FPS

Yes, thanks for linking the video. I have already tuned my 6900 XT GPU to Gamers Nexus recommended settings and have been achieving a stable and fast clock rates. And I appreciate there are functional differences between the 6900 XT and RTX 3090, so that is why I was focusing on what the cards are actually achieving in game by FPS.
I believe by setting Steam VR to 100% the G2 is running at 4k
So if someone else has a RTX 3090 with the same/similar CPU (EDO isn't really limited by CPU, but higher the better), what they are achieving in FPS
I can tell you this... running 4K in Odyssey on:
7820X 16-Thread 4.5GHz, 64Gb DDR4 Quad-Channel 3200MHz CL14 @86GB/s RTX3090 Strix

Doesn't feel any better than a friend of mine on:
10600K 12-Thread 4.5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 Dual-Channel 3200MHz CL14 @55GB/s with a RTX3070

I'd wait for the rabbits getting out of the bush after Frontier have shaken it...

I can tell you this... running 4K in Odyssey on:
7820X 16-Thread 4.5GHz, 64Gb DDR4 Quad-Channel 3200MHz CL14 @86GB/s RTX3090 Strix

Doesn't feel any better than a friend of mine on:
10600K 12-Thread 4.5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 Dual-Channel 3200MHz CL14 @55GB/s with a RTX3070

I'd wait for the rabbits getting out of the bush after Frontier have shaken it...
Agree that most of performance increases is going to come from FD optimising the game.
And given the extortionate prices of GPU’s together with their rarity I wasn’t going to rush into a purchase just for hell of it, as I think my systems maxed out what is possible.
What fps are you getting with the RTX 3090?

What fps are you getting with the RTX 3090?
It's capped at 65FPS on the nvidia driver... but if I fly my ship about 50m above the ground on a planetary settlement, it drops to 23FPS (depending where I'm pointing my ship). No fire, no smoke, no NPCs... any abandoned settlement will do the trick...

It's like some places in this game trigger a loophole for CPU/GPU... in this case I mentioned above, CPU spikes not in load, but in temperature... maybe some crazy AVX instructions being executed...

All the rest is fine (above 65FPS), but I do not dare to let the FPS go free in this game... don't wanna risk frying something because of bad coding.

It's capped at 65FPS on the nvidia driver... but if I fly my ship about 50m above the ground on a planetary settlement, it drops to 23FPS (depending where I'm pointing my ship). No fire, no smoke, no NPCs... any abandoned settlement will do the trick...

It's like some places in this game trigger a loophole for CPU/GPU... in this case I mentioned above, CPU spikes not in load, but in temperature... maybe some crazy AVX instructions being executed...

All the rest is fine (above 65FPS), but I do not dare to let the FPS go free in this game... don't wanna risk frying something because of bad coding.
Of all the many stories I've heard about EDO, frying hardware (knock on wood) has not been part of them.

I have a Reverb G2 on a 3070 and I get decent performance these days. I play VR so I don't really use my legs, but the days of 10-20 fps flying over a base seem to be over after the latest update. At least for me. There is still a lot of optimization to be done. Try and look inside a Krait (free cam and find a hole in the model). There's thingies in there that we never see or use. I guess it's like that all over the game/galaxy.

Well that’s fairly conclusive evidence without getting all scientific with setting/configuration etc that we need FD to optimise the game. If both an Nvidia RTX 3090 & Radeon RX 6900 XT, the most powerful GPU’s on the market, struggle to maintain 65 FPS in VR throughout the game it’s definitely not hardware related. Most people don’t have high end GPU’s, and that's so disappointing for so many people.
For me, back to my original question, there is no point in swapping my RX 6900 XT to a RTX 3090. Just saved a load of money. Thanks for all you feedback and lets hope game improvements come sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Have you monitored your CPU/GPU utilization while playing in these conditions?

I don't have these chips or a headset of this res, but my hardware is no slouch... I find that the game regularly dips into lower frame rates without utilizing even close to all my hardware's power. This is true for flat and VR, and the common factor I can find is NPCs. Large numbers of NPC ships or NPC persons cause the game to slow down.
To make it easier to view (and to take VR reprojection out of the equation) I tried some of these scenes on flat mode and found that I could get it to dip below 100hz (the refresh of my screen) into the 70s and 80s inside concourses and see that my CPU utilization is in the low 20%s and GPU was around 60% with 1-2% variance. Temps all nominal, nothing throttling, etc.
I see similar things in VR, of course, but it's a bit harder to measure.

Clear evidence that stronger hardware wouldn't solve it, right? The game isn't using what's there already.

To confirm it practically, I fly down to a settlement in VR and on approach the performance is really terrible. Lower than the half refresh rate reprojection in the headset.
I land and murder every NPC, then return to my ship and take off.
Performance is much, much better now. Easily maintaining half-refresh rate reprojection and much smoother frame time variance --the stuff you really feel.
So what changed here is that the NPCs aren't doing any AI. The models are still there laying on the ground, so I think the problem can't (entirely) be up to not enough LODs for VR. And this happens in space also. and frankly it happens in horizons also, though that's so much easier to run that it doesn't stick out to us as much.

I've been doing a lot of AX conflict zones lately and the performance in there can be described as "fine, with periodic massive slowdowns". The FPS will be nominal and then spike for a few seconds of slideshow, and then return to normal. This happens in horizons or Odyssey; they feel pretty much the same. And if I check my performance monitors for those moments, they aren't spiking up to 100%. Sometimes I can even see dips where the GPU goes idle...
Something the game is doing with AI/pathing/whatever we want to call it is causing the process of drawing frames to... I don't know... "wait".

Edit since it's not entirely irrelevant: My machine is 5800x / 3080. They're both overclocked but nothing crazy and they stay cool and maintain their boost speeds. Headset is Rift S at 1.5 super sample, monitor is 3440x1440 100hz when flat.

I have a 3090/5950x and a Vive Pro 2. It's probably not comparable as the resolution and Vive's weird software does its own thing with interpolation. That said, as it's set to 120hz, I get 60fps in space and on the ground. In space it can go up to 120fps depending on what I'm pointing at, but generally as it cannot be sustained it drops and does the clever stuff via SteamVR.

It's okay. This is with Ultra settings but I disable a few things based on experience; no SS or anything beyond 1.0 on HMD quality. I'm not at my PC to get the exact details but it's all okay in my book, but your mileage may vary (i.e. if you get sick in an SRV, which I do not).

I have a reverb G2, sapphire 3090 (factory overclocked) AMD 5900, 32 GB ram – and VR in Odyssey is a mess at the moment tbh. I haven't measured the frame rate because I don' t need to. Deep space over a fleet carrier, if I set decent graphics settings it's a stuttery mess. Switch to Horizons and the same scene is smooth and looks great.

I would say wait for Frontier to (hopefully) get around to optimising VR in Odyssey, because it's not there just yet (compared to Horizons).
It's not my rig because I get amazing VR in MSFS which is much more demanding visually in VR.

Top Bottom