Who has two thumbs and flys a dakka FGS without resynths? This guuuuuuuy.... (share your noob moments)

Honestly.

I moved to fixed weapons, because I figure I have to get better at some point. I love dakka, so I'm sticking with it until I can trace CMDRs so well my PA/Rail aim is good enough.

I'm fighting another CMDR who seems around my skill level, it's an awesome fight, lasts ages due to his bi weaves (and my inability to keep them down rofl) and my strong hull. It gets to re-arm time - no problem. Silent running. Quick select the multicanon. Synth. Oh yeah I'm learning how to do this lets kick some a.............i dont have iron........

#facepalm

WHO FORGETS TO RESTOCK ON IRON WHEN RUNNING A DAKKA SHIP!?

So anyway, to make myself feel better. Does anyone want to share their not-so-elite moments they've had in PvP?

Last edited:
When I started, chose a black-box retrieval mission for a level above mine. I thought, no biggie, let's do this, yeah!
Me, in a stock sidewinder, getting into a degraded USS zone with threat 1, without even noticing that it was threat 1. I get in, i find the black-box, open my cargo hatch, and start to sloooowly advance to retrieve it. Then a pirate in a cobra drops behind me and starts shooting cannons.
I panic, I try to boost, but the cargo hatch is still open, I try to dodge without even pushing the throttle to max speed, and I try to tuuuuurn so slowly. By that time, I'm Booom.
And I thought - this game sucks!
XD Oh, newbies...

I often forget to remove wingman navlock after low wake escape, i prefer to not count how many rebuys it cost me, it might be a reason i like stealth ships:) Another common blackout is missclicking silent running instead of SCB on my stick, for some weird reason happen only in wing fights, i still wait to not see rebuy screen in my FDL or Krait when this happening:)

After the last update/ binding fiasco i tried some alternate schemes as a walk around.
Died three times in a row pancaked against my opponent as boostinng through the laterals left me standed in the wrong cockpit mode with sr engaged as i crazily mashed buttons trying not to die.
Fun times

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    241.7 KB · Views: 235
When you face a pack of Thargoid Scouts and suddenly realize you have no decontamination limpets. Landing on the nearest station with 2% hull.

I would gladly accept a warning message whenever leaving a station and having limpet management modules:
"Warning, you don't have limpets for your limpenanigans!"

I lost a Vette to SDC ages ago when my FSD was fully charged (before engineers nad grom bombs were a thing) and then I got distracted, not realizing I wasn't alligned and seconds later my shields dropped, however, in the exact same moment my FSD malfunctioned as well and in a 7v1 I said good bye to my Vette ha.
Moral of the story, escape first, extinguish your burning house later.

Swapped into an alt that was a brand new cmdr to try and stream snipe another E rate sidey from my E rate sidey. Streamer was an experienced pilot trying out a new CMDR identity.

However I forgot that I never setup my gamepad bindings properly on the alt and instead got whooped.

I went silent running instead of boosting thus dropping shields. I couldn't figure out what was thrust since I had exited station using throttle. Stuff like that. It was a total fail on my part.

So I just kind of flew around like I was having a seizure until rebuy screen. Had a good laugh with the streamer about it.

Then some vette ganked my sidey before I could get back to the guy and try again with proper bindings, and I think it eventually ganked him.

It was actually a lot of fun, but totally moronic.

Last edited:
This is a sentence you should be able to say whenever you play any video game.

As long as it was fun! I have a friend who takes moronic things to the max, like playing a certian well beloved RPG as an assassin who always leaves a tomato at the scene of the murder because he liked to think the guards would refer to him as the tomato killer or something.

But more on point I remembered my first biggest goof on Elite.

I didnt know silent running heated your ship, I just thought it made it a little more hidden - neat feature I thought!

Go make a cuppa. Return to rebuy screen. "HIDDEN MY BACKSIDE" i thought.

#facepalm

My noobist noob moment was the first time i tried shooting another cmdr back in my almost A-rated un-engineered eagle😅
After about a minute of me tickling their shields with out shooting back (they must have finished laughing) they took aim and left me floating away with a dead power plant.

The noobist thing was i didn't yet know about reboot/repair so hit the self destruct button😄

Not particularly a Noob moment on my part, but someone else:

I didn't realise I was in Open this one day and I was in Kremain faffing around in a RES and this guy pops in, I'm in a C-ish-Rated 'vette, with rather decent mods, not long got it, I'm just killing low rank NPC's to make myself feel better (IIRC I was having a pretty bad day) and this guy who was in a Viper Mk.4 for some reason, with all his wisdom, he thought it'd be funny to essentially poke a sleeping tiger with a pointy stick...

He was often shooting at me while I was occupied with Pirates, I told him to knock it off several times, he just Lol'd and ran away, an Anaconda shows up, wanted, Competent, fairly standard for a RES, and I engage it, at the time I'm still experimenting with new combat techniques so I'm getting beat up fairly well because I'm getting mixed up with my Hand-Eye coordination essentially ontop of not really paying attention to anything, so I was having a fair go at this 'conda, and this guy happily said in chat "Nice, I have you now, taking on a big target and losing is a good way for me to get an easy kill lol" or something along those line...

I don't think he was ready to have every experimental effect on Beams, Pulses, and Multi's to shred him apart in a matter of a few seconds. I'm not sure if he was New or overly Cocky, but it didn't end well at all for him, and I still wonder to this day why he did what he did.

Last edited:
All my big mistakes are from over confidence, staying too long, pushing my luck. That and typing cutting lines to my opponent when I should be plotting a jump route instead. 😊

Be me.
Play by myself in open for a while, never join a squadron.
Be a space trucker.
Decide I'm going to try combat.
Buy a Vulture, hook it up with engineered plasma accs.
Join a squadron that night.
Killing pirates in compromised nav beacon with my new squadron. #aawwwyeah.
Everything is RIP AND TEAR.
Wanted elite anaconda jumps in, everybody gets on it, it looks like a scene from a brazzers film. It dies.
Quickly flick through targets to find my next kill.
Krait with a wanted level.
Shields down, low hull. He's running.
Quick whip around and toss a plasma ball into the firing solution.
Look again at the ship scan, it's my new squadron commander.
Both shots land squarely on the flying pancake.
He goes boom, one shot... crap.

Having spent some time practicing FA off flying I'm ready to bring my new found lack of skill into the heat of battle... course what with trying desparately to control my wildly spinning ship and failing to cause much more than amusement for my oppenent I get beat... Then realise my trusty sidekick, my loyal SLF, the one hardpoint that actually hits anything, has spent the whole thing tucked up in my ship! Doh!

Another time I got interdicted, it was quite a fun fight but clearly going all the way to the death... My death, not his, he lost a shield ring, maybe two? Anyhow, I swiftly selected a system at random to high wake to.... and the bloody thing was obscured by a planet--rebuy for one!

There are more, but I'm going to claim this is my basic skill set rather than messing up- that implies its notably worse than normal!

For me though it's the reverse, once I landed all five plasmas in one hit on another ship! Such fun! and took me so much by surprise I didn't follow it up with another volley which really would have helped! Oh well, all part of the fun!

Top Bottom