Who were those guys ?

Landed on Potriti 3 to collect raw mats, driving along when suddenly I came across a red bordered area with several containers inside and 3 skimmers flying guard above the area. As I was mat collecting and only had one SRV I elected to not engage the skimmers and split the scene.
Has anyone seen this before ? Any idea what was in those containers ? How difficult would engaging those 3 skimmers from my SRV have been ?

1DoAXwAh.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href

The containers are close enough that you should have been able to look at them in contacts to see what they contain, unless they are cargo racks that you have to shoot to get the goods (then it's just 'stuff').

3 skimmers for an SRV is pretty easy, especially if you can lure just 1 or 2 to engage at a time. But I don't generally find the contents of the sites like this worth the bother. Find sites like this and similiar now and again on various planets.

Often there will be mats as well. I don't recall the skimmers dropping mats, but they might do. Engaging them can result in fines or bounties, so check whether they are wanted before engaging.

:D S

The containers are close enough that you should have been able to look at them in contacts to see what they contain, unless they are cargo racks that you have to shoot to get the goods (then it's just 'stuff').

3 skimmers for an SRV is pretty easy, especially if you can lure just 1 or 2 to engage at a time. But I don't generally find the contents of the sites like this worth the bother. Find sites like this and similiar now and again on various planets.
After fighting sentinels, skimmers are EzPz

Can the skimmers be engaged from outside the red border ? Looking back on it I wish I'd stayed, engaged. I guess I was monetarily surprised and didn't actually know what the ground rules were and whether the three containers were worth it. Should've scanned them, 20/20 hindsight.

FInally, it should be noted that these are randomly-geenrated POIs. They are not permanent. So if you drive 20km away then come back to the same place, they won't still be there. Same if you leave the planet and come back, or if you log out of the game and log back in again - everything will disappear.

Because they're randomly generated, these bases/installations/wrecks/whatever are not necessarily in "logical" places. My favourite ones are the ones that are spawned on hills, such that the spawned cargo will immediately start rolling downhill. The cargo will soon roll outside of the exclusion zone, and you can simply drive up and scoop it without violating anything or anyone. Free stuff is good. If you ever find cargo just sitting by itself, far away from anything else with no skimmers, exclusion zone or wreckage nearby, this is probably what has happened.

Finally, it should be pointed out that the skimmers are territorial, but not very smart. A skilled driver can zoom into the exclusion zone, scoop up a cargo canister or two and zoom back out again before the timer expires - and the skimmers don't turn hostile if you do this. They've been ordered to defend the Red Rectangle, not defend the cargo canisters.

A little more info...

After engaging a skimmer at small planetary POI's it will follow you but their weapons are pretty weak. Basic SRV rounds fired from the turret will easily take them out. I don't even bother moving the SRV with two pips to all three systems. Firing on a wanted skimmer can make you wanted in the system and add a few problems later. Sometimes there is a protecting ship often landed nearby. SRV guns don't even scratch the paint on a responding system authority ship.

Still quick fast maneuvers in a SRV can make a slower turning ship attack miss with time to get back to your well shielded ship. Did you remember to bring a well shielded ship? Lot's of fun.

Sentinels at Guardian sites have much better weapons including missiles and generally protect a specific area. They will follow and fire on a SRV if they can see it. Hiding behind Guardian structures, using the brake when jousting, and firing from a distance is to a player's advantage. Using synthesis and upgrading from basic to standard or premium SRV ammo shortens the sentinel kill time. Also having a ship with pointe defense on top parked nearby will take out the missiles.

I haven't played with restricted planetary base station's (those +++ types) larger flying skimmers in an SRV for a couple of years so my thoughts might be outdated. As I remember they keep spawning until the power plant is taken out. Restricted zones also became a lot larger having to fight your way in. With the edition of C&P and I like being a good guy becoming "wanted" especially stacking missions turned me off. Others may totally love it!

Maybe some day I'll purchase a third ED PC account on sale and become an Austin Powers Dr. Evil anti-Ganker-everyone and threaten Frontier Developments to pay me 500 billion ED credits or else! Insert Dr. Evil laugh track. :)

Enjoy the game

Last edited:
That's exactly what happened in my case. I logged out/ in and they and the area were gone. I hope it happens again sometime soon now that I have a better idea as to what the deal is. Have you found the contents of these containers to be worth it ? I can't say I'm keen on incurring a bounty.

FInally, it should be noted that these are randomly-geenrated POIs. They are not permanent. So if you drive 20km away then come back to the same place, they won't still be there. Same if you leave the planet and come back, or if you log out of the game and log back in again - everything will disappear.

Because they're randomly generated, these bases/installations/wrecks/whatever are not necessarily in "logical" places. My favourite ones are the ones that are spawned on hills, such that the spawned cargo will immediately start rolling downhill. The cargo will soon roll outside of the exclusion zone, and you can simply drive up and scoop it without violating anything or anyone. Free stuff is good. If you ever find cargo just sitting by itself, far away from anything else with no skimmers, exclusion zone or wreckage nearby, this is probably what has happened.

Finally, it should be pointed out that the skimmers are territorial, but not very smart. A skilled driver can zoom into the exclusion zone, scoop up a cargo canister or two and zoom back out again before the timer expires - and the skimmers don't turn hostile if you do this. They've been ordered to defend the Red Rectangle, not defend the cargo canisters.

That's exactly what happened in my case. I logged out/ in and they and the area were gone. I hope it happens again sometime soon now that I have a better idea as to what the deal is. Have you found the contents of these containers to be worth it ? I can't say I'm keen on incurring a bounty.

The drops are pretty random, so whether they are worth it is pretty random. You can often target the cannisters from outside the red zone (without attracting the 'wrath' of the skimmers) and see what's in them. Exception, as stated earlier, is cargo racks.

The cargo generated is random, but typically in the mid-value range - a few thousand credits, sometimes the tens-of-thousands stuff like platinum, narcotics, or the planet-source-only minerals.

Many veterans from 2.0 will remember the days when practically every canister you found was Tea.

Getting a bit off-topic, but geez I wish some of the scan/destroy PP missions used Goliaths more... If you're target is a High Security +++ facility, it's pretty tough to take them out in an SRV considering all the other turret/skimmer fire you'll be taking at the same time, but would be cool if these spawned at proc-gen sites for missions and the like.

The skimmers don’t always attack instantly - you frequently have more than enough time to nab a container or two before they go postal.

Another method is to drive right over the canisters at speed and knock them out of the zone.

Often there will be mats as well. I don't recall the skimmers dropping mats, but they might do. Engaging them can result in fines or bounties, so check whether they are wanted before engaging.

You see these camps in missions sometimes, they will send you to collect "Nerve agent" or something and the skimmers sometimes leave parts after being destroyed that you can collect(mats).

Most of the time that's the case. However, always keep your eyes peeled. One time out in the SRV skimmer blasting, I was immediately attacked from above by a Cutter of all things.
Now that was pretty hair raising.

Deleted member 38366

D
By today's standards, you're basically playing WALL-E - cleaning up the trash by gathering up Cargo Containers.

If you don't want to incur any Bounty in inhabited Systems, note that (with a little skill) its typically easily possible to make a "Dash for Trash".
= just speed into the red Zone, grab a single Canister and then speed out of it. The timer is fairly lax, 15-20sec I think. Still, no time to waste.

It's also RNG if the little loot you find is legal Salvage or illegal and/or stolen.

Far easier to drop into a Degraded Emissions - Threat 3 and clean up all the junk there. Cargo will be typically stolen and illicit, though.
In both cases, it's not worth it other than doing it for kicks, unless you're bankrupt for some reason and need virtually any cash injection ;)

Top Bottom