Who's Idea Was This? FC's & CG's

As an FC owner, i can admit, having an FC does give you the edge if you want to go high in the ranks. If you just want the rewards, then it's a nice convenience but not a requirement.
I just wanted the 2 modules on this one, so I did pretty much bare minimum. For one I needed 2 cutter loads, for the other 3 to get me into the 75%.
Having a carrier meant I can do that in 30 mins instead of an hour.

"yeah, I am twice as good now using the internet and sort tables by clicking column topics - thx to my FC :D"

I'm referring to time advantage. You can park near a supply point fill your FC hold as much as you want with short trips. Make 1 jump to the CG's gravity well and make short trips between you FC & CG.

Without a FC it's at least 2-3 jumps from a GC to a supply point & 3-5 jumps back. Making it much more time consuming for one load in whatever cargo ship you choose.
Overall one load takes longer as it's still the same amount of time docking.

I guess that's why frontier changed it to top 75% instead of top 25%

As an FC owner I feel I need to tell my story so you have a better understanding of how an FC works or doesn't work well for this sort of thing. But first a few tips!

1 - when using inara to find commodities for CG's sometimes its better to check "export" or "supply". It's not as good a price as "best export" but when the CG is paying 10 times the value still its not that big of a deal.

2 - You will get more assistance in this game if you ask nicely without passing judgement on other folks.

Ok! So... I tried to use my FC, but the thing is every jump takes 15 minutes, and if you dont have that system mapped already you can only jump to its main star. When it came to station with adv/basic meds I'd set my FC to jump, then head over to fill my cutter and do one manual run back to the CG station. Usually by the time I get back my FC is almost there, or just got there. Most of the time, all the medicines were already gone by then and I just wasted my tritium jumping. That happened a dozen times before I finally got what I was doing wrong, and I looked for system with medicines but had stations like 50k Ls away or more. That way most players would be skipping it anyway, and I could milk it doing short runs with my cutter to my FC. That said I dont see many player doing manual runs from those systems, and only an FC would really be effective at pulling supplies from it.

ps: I've earned 20 billion plus bounty hunting. This game isn't easy mode, so just because you don't get something, doesn't mean its rigged... just means you need to think more.... or... god forbid ask people nicely how they succeed.

Ok! So... I tried to use my FC, but the thing is every jump takes 15 minutes, and if you dont have that system mapped already you can only jump to its main star. When it came to station with adv/basic meds I'd set my FC to jump, then head over to fill my cutter and do one manual run back to the CG station. Usually by the time I get back my FC is almost there, or just got there. Most of the time, all the medicines were already gone by then and I just wasted my tritium jumping. That happened a dozen times before I finally got what I was doing wrong, and I looked for system with medicines but had stations like 50k Ls away or more. That way most players would be skipping it anyway, and I could milk it doing short runs with my cutter to my FC. That said I dont see many player doing manual runs from those systems, and only an FC would really be effective at pulling supplies from it.

ps: I've earned 20 billion plus bounty hunting. This game isn't easy mode, so just because you don't get something, doesn't mean its rigged... just means you need to think more.... or... god forbid ask people nicely how they succeed.
You are very right about distant stations. i got my meds from a station that was 450k ls away from the entry point. No way I would fly that 5 times in any ship. But with an FC, jump there, do the cargo runs and jump out. That station had 1 other FC stationed there and a supply of 175000 or so on basic meds.

Also you are forgetting to mention one thing:
Elite Dangerous has one component it is strong at: The grind!
We all did our grind in one way or the other. Some in Bounty hunting, some in exploration, some in mining, some in passengers. I did my grind in mining and made my wealth when LTDs and VOs were a hot thing. Good and fond memories of Borann.

In the last CG(s) I tried both, Carrier up-/unloading via Cutter and transfer jump, and pure Cutter hauling.

I'm pretty sure I'm faster hauling purely in the Cutter as long as there are resources around 3 jumps away.

I had my carrier parked in a 90 degree angle around the small moon the starport orbited, and the supercruise was 0.14 light seconds.
Due to the gravity well it was as long as a jump takes, and then I had to jump the carrier, and unload a system away from the CG.

In optimal conditions (carrier and loading port aligned, free slot in CG system close to the starport) the carrier is propably faster.
But those conditions are practically guaranteed to never occur.

So no, the Fleet Carrier CMDRs don't have an advantage, at least not in CGs with relative mundane stuff like these medical CGs.

Top Bottom