Why are we being robbed of grade 5 in the engineering conversion for no reason?

So much win.

(I never thought I'd get to type that. Happy day.)

I figured no one had said this previously because it is kind of a Captain Obvious quote. That's great that they offer a path to get to the new max without having to start from scratch and all, but I'd rather buy new ones and go from there before I do anything with the old ones until I know what to expect.

Oh yeah, love the guy coming in on page 18 to tell us what the thread is really about and providing an explanation of an issue that is completely different than what has been kicked around over the past ridiculous number of pages, and I'm not sure that this new issue is even something that is a thing.

And people wonder why it is hard for others to keep track of what the complaints are...

In the past few days, perhaps in this one thread, I've read declarations that the problem is that new mods will take too long to max out and I've read declarations that the problem is that the new mods are too easy to max out. Each side has been represented multiple times and with equal outrage.

The thread is not a total bust however. I was able to have a civil discussion with Devari, who ultimately seemed to back off the posting of memes and "you're not listening" loop. If he was able to finally understand that some people really do just want to understand, then I can be optimistic about most anything.

Ok and despite all that, you dont have any problem re-rolling again all those modules and transfering ships or modules to engineeres bases? A pvp Anaconda will take about 115 rolls to get to the same level, if we calculate 5 rolls in each module. 115 rolls man, thats 345 materials for only a ship for christ sake and i dont want to calculate for all the ships (i wont re roll them all to keep my sanity), the number will be crazy. And tranfer everything to engineer bases, to just throw away some more time and credits? I do like that i will finally get the god rolls, but this is madness.

While I'd say that the new engineering system is not ideal, I'm OK with it. You can keep your current module, which is fair. You only take a hit if you want to roll for a better module. It's a small hit per module; I tried it in beta. There's no need to upgrade every module, nor every ship. There's actually no real need to do any engineering at all, unless you do PvP.

This thread is about BEING FAIR and about people that HAVE ALLREADY rolled their G5 modules MANY MANY TIMES OVER and the new system throws away that effort and asks them to ROLL EVEN MORE, just to maintain their level of engineering with the new standards.

Life is not fair. If you want the "best", then you should be happy that you can now get even better modules than the previous best, for a relatively small investment (compared to the previous system). Don't start engineering until you have sufficient materials; that seems simple enough.

You are saying that I:
3. That I maybe want, instead of the new system, a G6 level of the old system, adding even more thousands of rolls, where in fact i will roll THOUSANDS in the upcomming system.
4. Want to keep others from getting the best.
6. Should go and find a game that i enjoy. (Ok mommy)

From all the trolls out there, you must be in the top 3.

I do understand; I just don't agree. Again, there's no need to roll thousands of times. If you do it, it's because you want to improve your god-rolled modules even more.

LOL! While I've been called a white knight many times on this forum, this is the first time anyone has called me a troll. Not only that, I'm in the top 3! Considering the source, I'll take that as a complement. :D

Did you miss the '17 ships including fully G5 Corvette and Cutter'? Or just ignore it because you'd rather just make up your own version of what I've done in-game and then attack your own fantasy construct?

Im not actually saying you should be 'happy' about having to do a bit more, I'm saying that on a scale of how this could have gone, we're about here:

CRAP |-------------------------------------------|---------| NOT THAT BAD

For an idea of what crap looks like, see 2.1. It's a significant improvement. You just don't feel you should have to do anything else at all because your mods now are relatively at the top of the heap compared to anybody else's mods today. I think when there are actual increases in stats to be had it is reasonable to expect people to make a relatively small amount of additional effort.

I'm not 'blindly' defending anything. I'm saying it's reasonable. IN MY OPINION.

I also think it's reasonable. I spent 2 months in RL to engineer my AspX's FSD. For a small additional effort, I can improve it by another 5%. Not all that much, but that will save me many jumps on the 2nd Distant Worlds Expedition.

Ok i get it. So since you say you understand the issue, how come like reasonable people, we dont just ask for a fair conversion, one that respects peoples hours spent?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but FD has clearly shown (again and again) that they have NO respect for the hours players spend in ED. This game, like most, is a time sink.

This thread is about the unfair "conversion" of a G5 module to a much worse G4 module.

It is not relevant that 3.0 end results will be better.
It is not relevant how many rolls someone put into the current system.

Respectfully, I disagree. The only reason to convert a module is that you want an even better one, so the intended result is clearly relevant. It's a small price to pay, especially if you've already invested so much.

A fair conversion would yield stats on par with what the current module has.

As it is (or will be), the only reason to convert a G5 module is so you can skip the G1-G4 grind. "Converting" serves NO other purpose.

And that's a very good purpose, indeed. At least you don't need to restart from the beginning. That would be unfair; the new system is merely annoying.

Last edited:
I think the best thing about 3.0 engineers is the fact that I just made a ship, threw a single G5 mod on the modules, and in a couple of day, and a few dozen rolls later, I will have gone from unengineered to a god rolled ship...

You hit the nail on the head right there. That's what is getting up some people's noses because they spent sooo much time upgrading their modules and now we can all catch up. I can see both sides of this argument, but i think it will be better for everyone except the god roll fanatics. Win some, lose some. Just gotta roll with it (pun intended) :D

It's not at all clear to me that 'robbing' is what's going on here.

If they'd said; 'right, when we roll out the patch, all your legacy G5 mods will be automatically converted to max G4 mods, and you can get your stats back by engineering it all again' Then I'd say you could fairly accuse them of having robbed you of your hard earnt and most prized modules.

But they haven't - we are perfectly entitled to retain our G5 modules, and only if we want to re-roll under the new system do we have to make the choice to convert it to max G4.
It seems to me that this is a choice, rather than a hostage situation, and moreover, since the only time you're compelled to make that choice is if you've decided the stats on offer look better than what you've got already, then you've probably gathered the necessary materials and are prepared for what's coming before you click the convert button, so it's unlikely to represent any additional hardship.

If you feel you've been robbed then I feel bad for you, but the situation as I see it just doesn't seem to fit with with what I understand by the word 'robbed'.

Last edited:
I suggested a solution of converting existing Grade 5 modules in a manner that scaled their results into the top end of the new Grade 5 range, which FD apparently ignored completely as we heard nothing about the conversion process being adjusted during the beta testing.

We'll see what happens when 3.0 launches but if players are faced with needing to re-roll another 5-10 Grade 5 rolls to convert each of their current Grade 5 mods to be competitive with then new system then FD can expect a large number of longstanding players to leave the game.

This. Having to effectively repeat the entire process of farming materials and grinding Engineer rank, but this time for each individual module and upgrade level, is a slap in the face to everyone who already spent weeks unlocking Grade 5 upgrades pre-3.0.

Top Bottom