Why are we being robbed of grade 5 in the engineering conversion for no reason?

I realize all 'legacy' grade 5 engineering mods are different.

But its Frontier's responsibility to convert their customer's stuff without stealing the fruits of their annoyingly intractable and extremely time consuming grind.

You shouldn't ever need 27 spreadsheets and 5 online tools to play a stinking game in the first place.

So if every rank 5 engineering mod is slightly different, just pick the key stat of it and use that for determining how high in the grade 5 continuum it should be - and then we'd still have to grind the rest of the way, that our own roll and lady luck didn't achive prior to 3.0...

Robbing players of what they already have achieved has never been a good idea and actually, I can't remember any MMO from shovelware to AAA title take away people's existing achievements.

This would be a despotic first... And it makes this game look like a poor place to invest your time in, compared to anything else.

Also, I saw, that grade 3 was considered too low for conversion - even though there are some mods that top out at grade 3, like engine focused distributors.

What about grade 4 then? There's some mods that top out at grade 4.

Will a grade 4 and the potentially many rolls to get one right be considered ZERO too?

This is the pinnacle of disrespect for player's achievements and invested time.

Last edited:
I am also against converting my G5 modules to highest rolled G4's, but I will do that only for the ones I am sure will be much better rolled in the new system.

Also, new material conversions will help a bit in the process.

I think you can just start rolling for the G5s with your grandfathered in mods, if you want.

Are you saying you'd rather just have all your G5s optionally at max in the new system? Seems a bit of a stretch to me. People would just have max states for all the crap they cranked out at G5.

I think optionally restarting them at maxed out G4s in the new system makes the most sense. It's not like you have to convert them if you don't want to after all.

The best stat on my Vulture's G5 range mod FSD is that it uses less power than stock. That won't convert over to the new system, so it's something I have to consciously consider and weigh the pros and cons of.

Following suit down the list would make the most sense to me – G4s starting at max G3s, G3s starting at max G2s, and G2s starting at max G1s.

Last edited:
*le sigh*

On the one hand I'm not happy for anything I acquired being taken from me because "reasons". Especially when it was "hard" to get due to factors being beyond my control and relying on pure luck of a virtual dice roll.

On the other hand I live long enough and had seen such (short for Richard) moves from game developers that it hardy bothers me anymore. One day they give, other day they take. I'm flexible and can adapt to the new situation. I may dislike but in the end - what can I do?
- I can play as usual, trying to adapt to new environment
- I can stop playing. But if the game overall is good it's either hard or I'll come back later when my anger cools off
- I can post rage on forums (which I dont as I'm rather calm person)

Last option - if enough people will state their displeasure then *maybe* developers alter the changes. And again, it doesn't bother me much as long as it's not totally game breaking feature. I have decent G5 FSD and it will turn into top G4 with a patch? If the overall performance is about the same - why should I care? Bit flow with the current attitude but ED is a game. And game (for me) should bring fun and relax. Raging over some changes in a game is not worth it, there are many other games to play.

And as always, Ill refrain from final judgement after the patch goes live and I can test it for myself. Until then it's just moot conversation from my side.

I think you can just start rolling for the G5s with your grandfathered in mods, if you want.

Are you saying you'd rather just have all your G5s optionally at max in the new system? Seems a bit of a stretch to me. People would just have max states for all the crap they cranked out at G5.

I think optionally restarting them at maxed out G4s in the new system makes the most sense. It's not like you have to convert them if you don't want to after all.

The best stat on my Vulture's G5 range mod FSD is that it uses less power than stock. That won't convert over to the new system, so it's something I have to consciously consider and weigh the pros and cons of.

Following suit down the list would make the most sense to me – G4s starting at max G3s, G3s starting at max G2s, and G2s starting at max G1s.

No, I didn't say I wanted my G5 mods to pop in at max - my suggestion was, that FD can convert the key value in a G5 mod to approximately where it would equal the level of G5 your mod should be:

Using FSD as an example:

If your G5 FSD roll was +42% optimal mass, between the normal min of +20% and max of +50% (ignoring beneficial or detrimental side effects), then your G5 mod in the new system could be converted with fairly simple math to just over half of the new, total G5 range of that value.

So maybe I'm misinformed, but g5's in the current system are equals to max tier g4 in the new system thusly, g5's are converted to g4. The only people this doesn't work for are people with oddball/ god roll g5's in the old system.

I started a thread about this issue during the 3.0 beta testing, it reached 33 pages: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...aximums-in-3-0-Makes-Previous-Grind-Worthless

Essentially it consisted of casual players trying really hard to pretend there "wasn't anything wrong" with hard-working players having their prior Engineering grind completely devalued in 3.0.

I suggested a solution of converting existing Grade 5 modules in a manner that scaled their results into the top end of the new Grade 5 range, which FD apparently ignored completely as we heard nothing about the conversion process being adjusted during the beta testing.

We'll see what happens when 3.0 launches but if players are faced with needing to re-roll another 5-10 Grade 5 rolls to convert each of their current Grade 5 mods to be competitive with then new system then FD can expect a large number of longstanding players to leave the game.

Last edited:
Why are we being robbed of grade 5 in the engineering conversion for no reason?

You aren't, you have a choice, consider it part exchange if you like but it's certainly not robbery so run along now :)

But its Frontier's responsibility to convert their customer's stuff without stealing the fruits of their annoyingly intractable and extremely time consuming grind.

Automatically converting everything to sensible new values is probably an impossible task.

Guess that's why they decided to "grandfather" all legacy stuff. So nobody is taking anything away from you... you can just keep everything you have as is. Nobody is forcing you to convert.

So maybe I'm misinformed, but g5's in the current system are equals to max tier g4 in the new system thusly, g5's are converted to g4. The only people this doesn't work for are people with oddball/ god roll g5's in the old system.

It also "doesn't work" for anyone who already made 10 or 20 or 30 G5 rolls to get their current mod to the top of the existing Grade 5 range, only to be told by FD to "start again" at the bottom of the new G5 range with another 10 rolls.

There is no reason that FD can't map the existing rolls into the upper end of the new Grade 5 range. The reason they are not doing this is simply because they want everyone to start a new grind, regardless of how much time and effort we've already invested into Engineers.

If you don't see how that's insulting to the hard-working dedicated players who have invested hundreds of hours into the existing Engineering system then I don't know how else to explain this.

Automatically converting everything to sensible new values is probably an impossible task.

"Impossible task?" Seriously? It's extremely easy. If you can convert from USD to GBP you can do the math involved. It simply scales one value into another range.

They had no problem downgrading everyone's mods when they went through a massive Engineering nerf, they remapped the prior values to the lower ranges so it's extremely easy for them to scale mods in the other direction.

You know you can keep your existing modifications?

You know those existing modifications are dramatically inferior to what players can achieve in the new system for far less effort?

Last edited:
Essentially it consisted of casual players trying really hard to pretend there "wasn't anything wrong" with hard-working players having their prior Engineering grind completely devalued in 3.0.
Urgghhh, those filthy casuals! Ruining the game for us poorly-treated hard-working, hardcore players... (did you run the Tory election campaign per chance?)

Dude, no one is going to take you serious when you start talking like that. You simply come across as elitist and self-entitled, regardless of how valid your points may or may not be.

Urgghhh, those filthy casuals! Ruining the game for us poorly-treated hard-working, hardcore players... (did you run the Tory election campaign per chance?)

Dude, no one is going to take you serious when you start talking like that. You simply come across as elitist and self-entitled, regardless of how valid your points may or may not be.

Sorry, but personal attacks don't contribute to the discussion here.

You know those existing modifications are dramatically inferior to what players can achieve in the new system for far less effort?

And I'd say if that's the case, it pretty much invalidates most of the issues higlighted in the thread. If you can obtain dramatically better results with far less effort in the new system anyway, why mourn over older, inferior stuff that can be easily rendered obsolete?

Top Bottom