Why atmospheric landings?

When I was a kid I used to compile similar lists regarding pizza being for dinner.
My arguments couldn't really be faulted but I'd still be kept waiting months for the next time we'd order.

Because they are beautiful
That's the key for me - experiencing beautiful, alien worlds in glorious VR. And I'm not talking about fake, repetitive NMS worlds, but something more realistic like ED achieves with the airless moons.

My one worry is that ED's current rendition of foliage in the game is horrible. Go to a station that has parks with various trees and ponds, and they look pretty rubbish - Flight Simulator 2000 graphics. VR makes this "fakeness" even more evident. If Frontier gives us worlds with vegetation, I hope they give us something a bit more realistic. I also hope it doesn't kill framerate. Braintrees look pretty good in VR, but I have to dial back certain settings otherwise the braintree forest turns into a slideshow.

But even if we just get "dead" atmospheric worlds like Mars, that would be a step in the right direction. Colored skies, clouds, weather, atmospheric lighting - all of this would really add tremendously to my gameplay experience. I know ED is a SPACE ship 'simulator', but sometimes I grow tired of seeing stars in the sky 24x7 🤷

Yes! For me it's not even so much atmospheric landings, but just atmospheric flight. More types of flight mechanics in spaceship flying game is more interesting and on point than bolting the ability to walk around on the side. Would love to see "gas mining" aerostat stations in gas giant atmospheres too.
I fear that you may be disappointed, with Flight Assist FDev already have an inbuilt, lore friendly, excuse for the handling to be the same. The only caveat to that would be the burning stations that could get quite turbulent

I fear that you may be disappointed, with Flight Assist FDev already have an inbuilt, lore friendly, excuse for the handling to be the same. The only caveat to that would be the burning stations that could get quite turbulent

I was getting thrown around in a thargoid wake the other day thinking they'd already gone some way with that sort of thing.

Wouldn't that require corrosive resistances on every ship you will be landing there? :unsure:
Depends on that strength of the acid and how long you are staying. As far as I can remember, back when acid rain was the environmental problem de jour, even notrious rust buckets like the :Lancia Beta or anything by British Leyland took a while to rust and even then it was more down to road salt.

Because it's one more step for completing the game world.
Because it's actual space sim content.
Because they are beautiful and I'd really love to see (acidic) rain on my canopy.
Because it could come with a lot of great gameplay mechanics and a makeover for planetary surfaces in general, since when they are working on planets, I'm pretty sure they will all profit from it.
Because atmospheric landings would be in line with ED's prequels, where we can even land on earth-likes, which I don't expect from atmospheric landings in Elite at first.
Because I am not keen on any FPS shootout gameplay in my favorite space sim but instead want the tech, the ships and more things I can do while space faring.

Add your reasons if you like, just please don't make this another space legs thread. Thanks.
While I entirely agree we should be careful - we don't want to see Frontier posting something like this ..

We've listened to the community and we've decided to delay the 2020 update (and fleet carriers) until 2022 so we can re-prioritise the efforts of the development team and get them working on exciting new atmospheric landing content. In the meantime ... join us tonight as Stephen and Paige go bug hunting with the Anti-Xeno Initiative.

Last edited:
While I entirely agree we should be careful - we don't want to see Frontier posting something like this ..

We've listened to the community and we've decided to delay the 2020 update (and fleet carriers) until 2022 so we can re-prioritise the efforts of the development team and get them working on exciting new atmospheric landing content. In the meantime ... join us tonight as Stephen and Paige go bug hunting with the Anti-Xeno Initiative
Don't speak too soon! Come end of this year, and we see what is being released, we may look back at your jokey post as an "if only" :)

We've listened to the community and we've decided to delay the 2020 update (and fleet carriers) until 2022 so we can re-prioritise the efforts of the development team and get them working on exciting new atmospheric landing content. In the meantime ... join us tonight as Stephen and Paige go bug hunting with the Anti-Xeno Initiative
Oof! (faints)

I'd come back for atmospheric landings - doubt I'd even bother reinstalling for spacelegs - what's to explore? the same dead worlds we've had for 5 years, the same 5 identical space stations? Unless they're bolting on a whole new game along with it, that isn't a spaceship flying game?!?

I could understand adding legs after the game's complete, just to keep it going... but there's still no comets, landable asteroids, usable gas giants, improved ice worlds, actual caves, improved rocks scatter system (mentioned once by Fdev), interactive (no matter how short) black holes... and still only two planet types to land on.

I did nearly 2000 hours flying around in ED so what's spacelegs gonna add, 40 hours?

Top Bottom