Why can't we just have a separate BGS/server for each mode?

What is the barrier preventing Fdev from having separate servers for each mode? Is it just too much work? I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

It seems to me this would keep both sides happy but maybe i'm missing something.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks wotherspoon I missed that post. Had a read and some good info but still leaves me wondering what the problems of separate universes would actually be.

For players - none.

For Frontier - double the cost and resource requirements (more or less) to maintain 2 different storylines.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Nonsense. Lot of people - I will say majority - play because it IS single universe.

People who want their own sandboxes are loud, yet minority.

I've just expressed my opinion.

Do you have any source for your claims? Like, actual figures of how many player out of the entire Elite Dangerous player population would prefer to have a separate servers?

Didn't think so :p

For players - none.

For Frontier - double the cost and resource requirements (more or less) to maintain 2 different storylines.

This makes sense, I suppose things such as new stations and the progression of repairs is dynamic and affected by player actions but I can't think of much else that would be. The thargoid progression seems pretty much on rails and we don't have any impact on the outcome of the war. Maybe that will change though. I guess the newsletter would have to be different.

It's just a shame there has to be all this arguing because of the PVP/PVE divide when at the end of the day we all want the same thing. A cool space game.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
This makes sense, I suppose things such as new stations and the progression of repairs is dynamic and affected by player actions but I can't think of much else that would be. The thargoid progression seems pretty much on rails and we don't have any impact on the outcome of the war. Maybe that will change though. I guess the newsletter would have to be different.

It's just a shame there has to be all this arguing because of the PVP/PVE divide when at the end of the day we all want the same thing. A cool space game.

That's not true with Thargoids, as you can prevent a system from being attacked by destroying enough Thargoid Scouts.

That's not true with Thargoids, as you can prevent a system from being attacked by destroying enough Thargoid Scouts.

I didn't know that, maybe I'll go hunt some scouts now. I can see how it's probably more work than it seems at first thought, always the way I guess.

Perhaps open only with the option to go solo but forfeit all BGS is the way it will go. I'd be quite happy not being able to influence the BGS in solo. I only really use it for engineering and exploring anyway but I understand why people would be annoyed with this.

Top Bottom