Newcomer / Intro Why do I always start in Open Play on Horizons?

I'm trying to start a new game of Elite: Dangerous Horizons, but I'm never prompted to pick a game mode. I complete the initial tutorial and then when I press ESC it says "CURRENT MODE: Open Play" at the bottom left of the screen. I wish to play Solo only because that's what I like. Why can't I pick the Game Mode or when will I be able to change it?

Try using space bar instead of mouse click. I find that often the mouse click goes all the way through the next screen and selects Open, which is right underneath. You can also just exit back to main menu and try again. Click fast. :)

Try using space bar instead of mouse click. I find that often the mouse click goes all the way through the next screen and selects Open, which is right underneath. You can also just exit back to main menu and try again. Click fast. :)
At which screen exactly should I be getting the prompt for game mode? (PS. I'm using Steam if that makes a difference)

Sounds like you are double-clicking something.

Immediately after you select "continue".
No something is definitely wrong. I'm using the keyboard to select and click, not the mouse. I don't double-click anything. Ever since I installed Horizons through Steam something is not right. I really never ever get the prompt to select the game mode no matter what I do.

What happens if you log out to main menu, then select continue?
It immediately starts loading and drops me in my ship. Note that I'm merely trying to start a new commander from scratch and skipping the tutorial. I go through the steps to create the commander and select the type of sidewinder I want and then pick the name and id plate, and hit spacebar on the continue button. I spawn in the starting station. I don't see anything flickering as if I double-tapped a key or nothing.

I'm trying to uninstall/reinstall the game to see if that will help.

Ok, I figured it out. Apparently until the tutorial mission is not completed fully (you have to turn in the tutorial mission), you just can't change the game mode. I wasn't crazy. As soon as I completed it, I was able to escape the the menu, and select Solo Play when I continued.

Ok, I figured it out. Apparently until the tutorial mission is not completed fully (you have to turn in the tutorial mission), you just can't change the game mode. I wasn't crazy. As soon as I completed it, I was able to escape the the menu, and select Solo Play when I continued.

You can just "Skip this training" (from the main menu) ... no need to do the tutorial. Then relogging or subsequent loads you can select game mode. It is just that the initial start of any new commander is always in Open Play ( as @Factabulous rightly says). Presumably F D want new players to see all the hollow icons to whet their appetites.

You can just "Skip this training" (from the main menu) ... no need to do the tutorial. Then relogging or subsequent loads you can select game mode. It is just that the initial start of any new commander is always in Open Play ( as @Factabulous rightly says). Presumably F D want new players to see all the hollow icons to whet their appetites.

That's the thing, even if you choose Skip in the game menu, you still have to finish it by turning in the mission at Mawson Dock. Until then, you are always fast-forwarded to your ship whenever you hut Continue without being prompted for the game mode.

That's the thing, even if you choose Skip in the game menu, you still have to finish it by turning in the mission at Mawson Dock. Until then, you are always fast-forwarded to your ship whenever you hut Continue without being prompted for the game mode.

No you don't. Just dismiss the mission in the comms panel. The vopice-over even says "if you choose to complete this mission...".

I have done multiple clear-saves in the noob zone and only did the intro training once (for a video) and the into misson once - to check it out. Every other time I clicked te "X" box in the mission comms blurb.

No you don't. Just dismiss the mission in the comms panel. The vopice-over even says "if you choose to complete this mission...".

I have done multiple clear-saves in the noob zone and only did the intro training once (for a video) and the into misson once - to check it out. Every other time I clicked te "X" box in the mission comms blurb.

Ok, either way, you can't switch modes as long as that mission is active. Whether you complete it or cancel it comes down to the same conclusion. 😉

Ok, either way, you can't switch modes as long as that mission is active. Whether you complete it or cancel it comes down to the same conclusion. 😉

Well not really - you stated that you had to do the mission - whereas I just clarified that no you don't. A matter of completeness of info for other newcomers seeking information is all.

Top Bottom