Why do you think FD decided to forget about the DDF?

Hypercruise, mining, fuel, exploration, trading, npc. These are a few key elements I remember to be much more complete and interesting.
From the DDF, these things are still missing in the game all the features discussed years ago.
The game conceived back then were much more complex and interesting but FD decided to do a simplistic, instant gratification and choose your short adventure game. They went for the arcade route and forgot completely about the dangerous of space and the importance of exploration and taking care of our ships.

Things like exploring for resources, hotspots for hypercruise, missjumps, different fuel qualities were something that would made space much more frightening. Since release we can go to colonia just clicking 200000000 times a button and nothing else.

For 4 years we had mining and exploration placeholders, and even now I still think those professions are barebones after so many years since the game was released. Where are the corporations claiming asteroids for their own? Where's the gas mining?

But they forgot about what was important and made a lot of questionable features like Powerplay. They thought doing the same things we we're doing but with a different name would be awesome, like going from A to B delivering numbers or fighting in a combat zone. No new or improved gameplay.
They did CQC, something that no one expected and realy few people care about, they thought doing another game was a good idea so here it is CQC, the game for the consoles.
They did Wings, but we had to wait 4 years for coop missions.
Multicrew, the worst multicrew experience I could imagine, turrets in space, yeeah reaaal fun... :rolleyes: and only a few ships can have this wonderful gameplay experience.

What do they think we're? I know plans change along the development but this game has NOTHING to do with the one discussed and where people paid to give their opinion and make this a wonderful space game.

Hypercruise, mining, fuel, exploration, trading, npc. These are a few key elements I remember to be much more complete and interesting.
From the DDF, these things are still missing in the game all the features discussed years ago.
The game conceived back then were much more complex and interesting but FD decided to do a simplistic, instant gratification and choose your short adventure game. They went for the arcade route and forgot completely about the dangerous of space and the importance of exploration and taking care of our ships.

Things like exploring for resources, hotspots for hypercruise, missjumps, different fuel qualities were something that would made space much more frightening. Since release we can go to colonia just clicking 200000000 times a button and nothing else.

For 4 years we had mining and exploration placeholders, and even now I still think those professions are barebones after so many years since the game was released. Where are the corporations claiming asteroids for their own? Where's the gas mining?

But they forgot about what was important and made a lot of questionable features like Powerplay. They thought doing the same things we we're doing but with a different name would be awesome, like going from A to B delivering numbers or fighting in a combat zone. No new or improved gameplay.
They did CQC, something that no one expected and realy few people care about, they thought doing another game was a good idea so here it is CQC, the game for the consoles.
Multicrew, the worst multicrew experience I could imagine, turrets in space, yeeah reaaal fun... :rolleyes: and only a few ships can have this wonderful gameplay experience.

What do they think we're? I know plans change along the development but this game has NOTHING to do with the one discussed and where people paid to give their opinion and make this a wonderful space game.

So you are upset FD didn't tailor the game to your specific needs !

I have no problem with most of the mechanics they chose to implement. My problem, if you can even call it that, stems from the fact that they went on to leave these many of these mechanics in an underdeveloped state. For instance, Powerplay could have been amazing if handled correctly and not left abandoned for all practical purposes.

I have no problem with most of the mechanics they chose to implement. My problem, if you can even call it that, stems from the fact that they went on to leave these many of these mechanics in an underdeveloped state. For instance, Powerplay could have been amazing if handled correctly and not left abandoned for all practical purposes.

Of course, all these gameplay opportunities would be amazing IF they had implemented in a much more developed state.
Agree, years passed by and the state of these features is pathetic.

Yes, but the game in the DDF was another different game.
It was more involved, complex and dynamic.

One small but very important fact you have missed - the 'game' in the DDF never existed, it was just a collection of 'wishes and wants' by a group of people who weren't responsible to turn those dreams into reality.

There is no guarantee that even if FD attempted to do what was in the DDF that it would have succeed.

Yes, but the game in the DDF was another different game.
It was more involved, complex and dynamic.

To answer the specific question put forward in the topic title, I think the situation just evolved, and some ideas didn't pan out (or haven't yet). I can't think of an example (the flight model maybe) but presumably some aspects of the game were fleshed out far more, or better than originally envisaged.

When I bought the game (just after release) I had assumed there was a development plan and that features added, while not making sense within the context of the state of the game at the time (holo-me is a good example) were in anticipation of future features.

However it has become clear in my mind at least, that Frontier seem to be winging it and changing their mind. Perhaps it will all make sense in a few years when (if) we know more.

OP - you lead with a question which is not verifyable. FD have not said they have forgot about the DDF nor have they gave any indication they have.

The DDF is full of lots of thing, some of which FD will have decided to wait on, some which they might have decided not to do at all, or some which they have done already, either cloes to what was said in the DDF or changed.

Getting annoyed at the horde of 4yr olds that keep screaming “never fly without rebuy” like it was something their mummies told them...

flying without rebuy is the hardcore mode we never got. The end. Though it also means you can really do anything either because you get a few million credits just for blinking these days.. but yeah would be nice if you could leave it in some sort of escrow only used for new ships..,

To answer the specific question put forward in the topic title, I think the situation just evolved, and some ideas didn't pan out (or haven't yet). I can't think of an example (the flight model maybe) but presumably some aspects of the game were fleshed out far more, or better than originally envisaged.
However it has become clear in my mind at least, that Frontier seem to be winging it and changing their mind. Perhaps it will all make sense in a few years when (if) we know more.
Not exactly winging it, but the DDF threads were just discussions - not a guarantee that they would be implemented as was discussed. Now the game has been released, FD have a wider audience to consider and their opinions and ideas should supersede and/or supplement anything that was posted in the DDF.

The DDF can be considered concept demonstrator level discussions - once you move beyond the concept demonstrator to a released product things can and will change.

FD have not declared whether they have or have not "forgot the DDF" but in software development moving from concept to implementation is not a simple path, especially when considering working with a live product.

Last edited:
Well, it`s a huge and I mean a huge step up from the original Elite.
I`m glad that FD did remake Elite.

I`ve waited over 30yrs for this, FFE Don't Count (Pre Internet no patch - enjoyed Elite`s FM better)

To take on such a mammoth task, I`m sure you have to have some barebones, never know that they might flesh it out in expansion modules.
That's if they decide to continue with this franchise, who knows, anyhoo too much negativity they might to decide to call it a day.

As I understand it, the DDF was a place for spitballing ideas about the game. It was never intended as a development roadmap.
But they were exciting dreams, and IMHO still the game I hoped ED would evolve into.

Whilst I agree it's important to get the mechanics and first-time player experience right: there are a lot of us who also enjoy (and want) the complexity that ED offers.

Last edited:
in software development moving from concept to implementation is not a simple path, especially when considering working with a live product.

In any product development :)

The XJ220 (1990's supercar) is a good example of what happens when a product is marketed as one thing, but the end result, while still excellent, is not what was originally sold.

Top Bottom