Why does a newly bought Sidewinder have loaned modules?

Here's a video of me buying a Sidewinder.
It's not a starter ship, ie the ship I started with.
I am not a new player.
This is not in a new player starter system, this is New Chernobyl in Gateway
I have paid for the Sidewinder in full.

I have bought many ships, and sold them. This is the first ship I've ever bought, including other Sidewinders, after the ship I started the game in, to have modules marked as [LOANED].

Is there an explanation for this?
Is this a bug? (if so I'll submit a ticket).

Here's a video of me buying a Sidewinder.
It's not a starter ship, ie the ship I started with.
I am not a new player.
This is not in a new player starter system, this is New Chernobyl in Gateway
I have paid for the Sidewinder in full.

I have bought many ships, and sold them. This is the first ship I've ever bought, including other Sidewinders, after the ship I started the game in, to have modules marked as [LOANED].

Is there an explanation for this?
Is this a bug? (if so I'll submit a ticket).

Being given a sidewinder with loaner weapons has been in the game since day one.

Vote bug. Suicidewinder makes sense to be loaned, but it's known as a "freewinder" and I don't remember it having loaned modules.
As for bought, he just paid for it, so it makes completely no sense.

It's just the supercruise assist and ADC that are marked as loaned there - the cargo rack and shield generator aren't.

Presumably this is intentional to keep the price of the basic Sidewinder at ~31,000 credits when those modules would normally add ~22,000 onto the price.

So this stops an exploit (admittedly, not a very powerful one once you're past the first day!) of buying Sidewinders, selling the SA and ADC, then selling the Sidewinder again.

And it's presumably not done for most other ships because an extra 22,000 onto the price of most ships doesn't make any practical difference. (It'd be interesting to see if the other ultra-cheap small ships have the same change)

It's just the supercruise assist and ADC that are marked as loaned there - the cargo rack and shield generator aren't.

Presumably this is intentional to keep the price of the basic Sidewinder at ~31,000 credits when those modules would normally add ~22,000 onto the price.

So this stops an exploit (admittedly, not a very powerful one once you're past the first day!) of buying Sidewinders, selling the SA and ADC, then selling the Sidewinder again.

And it's presumably not done for most other ships because an extra 22,000 onto the price of most ships doesn't make any practical difference. (It'd be interesting to see if the other ultra-cheap small ships have the same change)
So ... just don't include the Supercruise Assist and ADC modules?
The explanation to stop the ability to sell the modules and make a profit, is the best explanation I've seen so far.

No-one ever buys a new Sidewinder as all are assembled from the bits recovered and recycled from earlier suicides. They are obviously just held together by very evident sticky tape - not even duct tape.
Possibly the most canon explanation I've ever heard... Certainly more reasonable than why every single ship in the game comps with pre-etched windscreens and why purchasing a T9 comes with a grubbly af cockpit from day one.

Possibly the most canon explanation I've ever heard... Certainly more reasonable than why every single ship in the game comps with pre-etched windscreens and why purchasing a T9 comes with a grubbly af cockpit from day one.
Perhaps it's like those jeans who comes already shredded for "look" ? I saw a videos ages ago on how they do it. They make the jeans normally, and they look just fine, then put them inside a sort of shredding machine. It was really weird.

Maybe those ships comes sparkling new, then they shred them just enough to look like that.

I appreciate the attempts at in-game hand-waving as to why, but I was asking from an out-of-game point of view why they are loaned modules and whether people think it's a bug.

As I said in the first post, it's not the starter ship, it's not the ship I started with, I literally just bought the ship. Watch the video.

I would imagine that all new sidewinders are "starter ships", likely to conserve on resources (initial ship states), or it's a bug.

Frankly it's not that big a deal. Raise a ticket with FDEV, let them check, and tell those that are interested in your thread know once you have a reply.

So ... just don't include the Supercruise Assist and ADC modules?
The explanation to stop the ability to sell the modules and make a profit, is the best explanation I've seen so far.
I'd prefer it if they didn't include them because if I buy a new ship and forget to take them out they come as a shock, but then beginners could end up in a situation where they buy a new ship but the station doesn't sell the autopilot modules - they're not rare but they're not guaranteed to be available either - and then we'd get a load more "now what do I do" questions.

Given the purpose of the modules it makes sense for them to be fitted as standard.

I would imagine that all new sidewinders are "starter ships", likely to conserve on resources (initial ship states), or it's a bug.
An actual starter Sidewinder would have all modules loaned, not just the two autopilots.

Checking other small ships:
- the Hauler, Eagle and Adder have had their base hull price decreased to fit the two extra modules in without changing the ship sticker price [1]
- the Viper III and up appear to have had the modules fitted and added to their sticker price (which by that stage doesn't make much difference)

Reducing the Sidewinder's hull price to fit the two modules in would be impossible - it would then cost negative credits. So this is presumably the best workaround.

[1] This does mean that all four ship hulls now cost considerably less than the equivalent mass of scrap metal, but good luck convincing the commodities market to take them.

Top Bottom