Why does Frontier have to make everything either frustrating or mind numbing? (Mining for Fissures)

Seriously:

Everything in this game has to be so complicated and unnecessarily either boring or just plain frustrating. Why is it that with ALL this ship tech, when you do a Pulse Wave Scan, it just highlights Fissure asteroids, green or purple or something. Hunting for these gets tedious and I wasted an hour in a hot spot trying to get ONE. It makes mining NOT worth it.

Not only that,l you have to carry a RIDICULOUS amount of stuff now when you mine, and fire groups are ridiculous.

Why can't you guys do ONE Quality of Life, and make the pulse wave scanner actually pick up Fissure asteroids, instead of me having to get super close to the asteroid to see it. Why with all this RIDICULOUS ship tech, a pulse wave can't do that?

There is only one type of Asteroid I can tell that is guaranteed not a fissure, everything else is a crap shoot.

WHY CAN'T THIS ONE QUALITY of LIFE be implemented. Why because people want to be super hard core? No, this is just a QOL that MAKES SENSE.

Yes I am whining, but seriously, why can't this be done?

There you go. ED 2020 QoL improvement. The asteroids even blow themselves apart just by targeting them.
Skill? Who needs it?

0U6DudM.jpg

I'll not discuss the proposal as long as it's being made for the wrong reasons:

Hunting for these gets tedious and I wasted an hour in a hot spot trying to get ONE. It makes mining NOT worth it.

It absolutely IS worth it. I'd say come back once you learned the mining mechanics, made a billion credits and then criticise it on a sophisticated basis. It's not like everything is perfect, but if you want to provide feedback and suggestions you need to make sure that you actually know what you are talking about.
Sorry if that sounds like I am a Richard, but it's the first thing that came to my mind.

Not only that,l you have to carry a RIDICULOUS amount of stuff now when you mine, and fire groups are ridiculous.

this and 'unnecessary complexity' (aka filler) have been the general rule since 2016. something definitely changed back then. take it or leave it, prior work is still there and still works (mostly) in all its glory. if that isn't enough your best bet is to wait for 2020/21.

that said, you are really exaggerating quite a bit.

Why is it that with ALL this ship tech, when you do a Pulse Wave Scan, it just highlights Fissure asteroids, green or purple or something. ...

Huh? What you are describing is exactly what it does and what it's designed to do (although I've never seen it colour anything green or purple). Do you mean "core" asteroids?

Mining in ED is a fairly complex activity; I don't think one hour is really long enough to get the hang of all the equipment and also learn to reliably recognise core asteroids.

If the equipment is really too much I'd suggest:-
(1) Start with only mining lasers, prospector limpets and collector limpets, to learn the basics.
(2) Add a wave scanner and seismic charge launcher; look for core asteroids and learn to recognise them and use the launcher.
The sub-surface missiles can be safely ignored unless you're set on extracting everything possible from every asteroid you target.

I went mining once, in my dusty and rusty T-9. After watching a youtube video and some reddit post (I was linked to it, else I never wander the reddits) and a couple hours later delivered a more or less full load of juicy refined pebbles. #profit

I'll not discuss the proposal as long as it's being made for the wrong reasons:

It absolutely IS worth it. I'd say come back once you learned the mining mechanics, made a billion credits and then criticise it on a sophisticated basis. It's not like everything is perfect, but if you want to provide feedback and suggestions you need to make sure that you actually know what you are talking about.
Sorry if that sounds like I am a Richard, but it's the first thing that came to my mind.

It's not worth it when you are looking for deep core asteroids for a few hours. And made almost no money. That is not worth it at all,

This. Quite.
At the risk of taking the OP's side and incurring community pitchforks, 'mining in ED is a fairly complicated activity'. It might be easy for you but I still haven't quite grasped the how-to-set-charges-during-the-timer and how-to-use-the-pulse analyzer aspects and I think I've watched every YT tutorial there is. None of them explain every aspect of deep core mining, all of them assume some level of understanding as to how to use the requisite equipment. How I've wished that ED had created a deep core mining training simulation. It would still require developed skills to become good at it but at least there'd be something foundational from which to, you know, learn.

Mining in ED is a fairly complex activity; I don't think one hour is really long enough to get the hang of all the equipment and also learn to reliably recognise core asteroids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom