Why does Frontier have to make everything either frustrating or mind numbing? (Mining for Fissures)

How I've wished that ED had created a deep core mining training simulation.
ED is that simulation (hint: it's not real, despite what some people seem to think :) ).

If you have issues with particular aspects then post them up - lots of helpful people around if there are specific questions. But don't use lots of CAPS (y)

ED is that simulation (hint: it's not real, despite what some people seem to think :) ).

If you have issues with particular aspects then post them up - lots of helpful people around if there are specific questions. But don't use lots of CAPS (y)
This.

Come on here with an attitude, and we'll just throw salt around.

Come on here and ask a question, and we'll answer.

"Now, if you ever manage to ask me a question which doesn’t insult my experience and intelligence, I daresay I’ll force a civil answer out of myself." - Jefferson Clay. I-War

At the risk of taking the OP's side and incurring community pitchforks, 'mining in ED is a fairly complicated activity'. It might be easy for you but I still haven't quite grasped the how-to-set-charges-during-the-timer and how-to-use-the-pulse analyzer aspects and I think I've watched every YT tutorial there is.
At least you are trying (and without capitals). I had trouble learning to deep core mine for a couple of weeks before it all clicked. Learning and failing was part of the fun I suppose. I still mess up the charges and have to reverse like the clappers when I run out of time. Then I pick through what is left of the lode and ponder on what I did wrong. It isn't easy and is certainly skill-based and needs practice. Which is probably why it pays so well when you get it right. Keep trying.

Hmm, not sure I’m following your logic. ED has training simulations for many ED activities, they’re right there to train with. Deep core mining is not among them. Maybe it ought to be given its complexity, surely this isn’t sacrilegious nor day ruining for players who don’t need it.
What caps?

Hmm, not sure I’m your logic. ED has training simulations for many ED activities, they’re right there to train with. Deep core mining is not among them. Maybe it ought to be given its complexity, surely this isn’t sacrilegious nor day ruining for players who don’t need it.
What would the simulation do, other than hand you the tools and point you at an asteroid with a few text prompts? If you've looked at all the online videos then you're already ahead of that experience.

I presume you've looked at the mining video in the video section of the tutorials in-game?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLqDINgciw

What caps?
Read the OP.... always a good idea when adding to a thread :) (OP is Original Post, i.e. first post, of the thread)

It's not worth it when you are looking for deep core asteroids for a few hours. And made almost no money. That is not worth it at all,
This. Quite.
At the risk of taking the OP's side and incurring community pitchforks, 'mining in ED is a fairly complicated activity'. It might be easy for you but I still haven't quite grasped the how-to-set-charges-during-the-timer and how-to-use-the-pulse analyzer aspects and I think I've watched every YT tutorial there is. None of them explain every aspect of deep core mining, all of them assume some level of understanding as to how to use the requisite equipment. How I've wished that ED had created a deep core mining training simulation. It would still require developed skills to become good at it but at least there'd be something foundational from which to, you know, learn.
The pulse is confusing in a way, but I just look for the particularly bright ones which tend to have cores where the less bright ones are being highlighted because they have other deposits (surface or sub surface). Then I just eyeball the rock to be sure it has fissures, they are very clear with night vision on, even in bright areas.

For setting charges, find 2 low strength and hit them both with maxed out charges, that will be enough for the indicator to show ideal strength. (Bognogus suggestion, and works every time for me).

Respectfully- if you read my post you’d know I’ve seen the tutorial vids but wasn’t referring to them.
A DCM training sim would theoretically do what every other ED training sim does, no ? Train ?
I don’t think I’m being obtuse but I apologize if I haven’t been clear.
ED already has training sims. I was casually remarking they could add one more to the existing training sims given the complex nature of the activity.

What would the simulation do..

I presume you've looked at the mining video in the video section of the tutorials in-game?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Respectfully- if you read my post you’d know I’ve seen the tutorial vids but wasn’t referring to them.
A DCM training sim would theoretically do what every other ED training sim does, no ? Train ?
I don’t think I’m being obtuse but I apologize if I haven’t been clear.
ED already has training sims. I was casually remarking they could add one more to the existing training sims given the complex nature of the activity.
Ironically I think it might be a little complicated to execute. Assuming that the asteroids and their contents are based on RNG and different in every instance, I'm not sure how the simulation would be able to walk you through it without there being hand-placed asteroids of each type, kind of defeating the purpose. But if it could be done, I'd agree.

Right. I can't say exactly how the DCM sim should be implemented, I only know that of the ED activities DCM is one of the trickier to even understand, never mind undertake. I believe that's what the OP's point was.
ED provides a training sim for docking your ship. Understandable. There are several combat training sims. There's a training sim for landing your ship. All understandable.
In the above context and for whatever reason a DCM training sim seems to me, missing. It won't stop me from continuing to try to figure it out ( and to figure out that damn pulse wave analyzer) but it would've been nice if, oh you get it. :)

Ironically I think it might be a little complicated to execute. Assuming that the asteroids and their contents are based on RNG and different in every instance, I'm not sure how the simulation would be able to walk you through it without there being hand-placed asteroids of each type, kind of defeating the purpose. But if it could be done, I'd agree.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
You can save your self-time and learn to find them. Also, use other features of the game to help you. Like using basic head tracking. For me, I tend to hover the Astroid belt and look right and left and see if I can spot asteroids to crack.

Right. I can't say how the DCM sim should be presented, I only know that of the ED activities DCM is one of the trickier to even understand, never mind undertake. I believe that's what the OP's point was.
ED provides a training sim for docking your ship. Understandable. There are several combat training sims. There's a training sim for landing your ship. Understandable.
I get that, but a training sim for landing goes one way with little variation - do this, now this.

With mining, the system won't know what the RNG will produce, and - as I say, ironically - that complexity could mean you would be doing the training for half an hour looking for something the instance doesn't have.

I hear you. But consider this, there IS an ED mining sim, a surface laser mining sim. They clearly thought that activity deserving of some explanation, or simulation if you will in order to understand. I'd suggest DCM is much more complicated, and not just the finding of the right 'roid', but what you do after that. In fact I wouldn't mind if the sim began at finding it.

I get that, but a training sim for landing goes one way with little variation - do this, now this.

With mining, the system won't know what the RNG will produce, and - as I say, ironically - that complexity could mean you would be doing the training for half an hour looking for something the instance doesn't have.

I made 320 million credits yesterday in 4 hours. I like the mining, I like how there's enough variation and guesswork to keep your mind thinking and you can't just go into auto pilot for another bland mechanic. If it was implemented in this one I would have done it once and never again, but its actually cool to do once every few weeks. I think the payouts are extreme and I've lost the working towards a new ship and feeling proud of my accomplishment. Now I buy anything in the game at will because the real progression that is left is engineering materials and even that is getting easier and easier (The only thing I cant seem to find on demand is Pharmaceutical Isolators). There's a sweet spot in the middle of the spectrum for everything I feel, and when I first got the game near the middle or end of 2015 (Cant remember) I use to have to grind my butt off to make credits just to prioritize combat which I enjoyed so much. It took me months to earn each ship, but it felt good when I got them, but it seemed to hard. Engineering? Maybe close to the sweet spot with some more adjustments I think its in a good place. Credits maybe to generous, maybe not depending on what future content is going to cost, maybe were going to need all these things at some point.

Coming back since void opals were introduced I can make a billion in a few days of casual playing, I've bought every ship 'Ive ever wanted (And ones I didn't know I wanted) casually and while its nice and convenient and it respects my time, I lost that something special that came with earning a ship with hard-work. I think there's a middle point in the spectrum credits could be nerfed to put it in the sweet spot.

I guess my entire point, not to be rude, is that Core mining is in a great place, to great, and to make it even easier is just ridiculous. Maybe you need to grind for 6 months to get a ship to be able to appreciate the situation were in.

Last edited:
I'm a returning player after over a year off the game. I really wanted to try deep core mining. It looked complicated so I did my reading and watched some guides.

I like it. A lot.

Is it a bit tricky to find the right asteroids, yes a little but it's very satisfying when you "get your eye in" and calibrate yourself to know what's a dud and what's a winner.

My first evening out doing it netted me 500mill in a mix of voids, low temp diamonds etc. Very good for only a first attempt and only 3 hours work roughly including travel. I felt a bit cheaty if I'm honest.

OP your probably getting the message that doing the legwork and reading up is the thing to do.

In truth I don't need the cash but am as interested as hell in learning how to do mine void opals since you guys are having so much fun at it!!
Seriously, try to avoid tutorials/vids if you can - figuring most of it out on my own was some of the most fun I've had in the game in a long time. I think they did a really good job of making it a reasonably engaging (and ridiculously lucrative) activity.

I am not sure where the billions come from though. Huge ships and long journeys I expect. I mine using a Cobra III and only have enough cargo space for one asteroid's worth of minerals. I also sell locally so typically I "only" make 5 to 10 million on each mining expedition. I like it that way as I don't play ED to slog out making vast wealth by spending hours in mining sites and then looking for the absolute best price on EDDB. Each to their own.

I noticed on my last run that the selling price of VOs had literally halved overnight at my current local station. I like to think I have flooded my own market. Fortunately I found a station one jump away that gives a good price. Probably end up flooding that one too!

Top Bottom