Why does Super Cruise travel take so long?

Yeah, except you realise of course that you aren't actually, you know, flying a space ship? if you want realism play KSP at time x1, I'm sure you'll find that a spectacular gaming experience.

Don't give me the "space is big" nonsense, as soon as you go over (or even near) C, you are in fairy-land and it is a simple choice between different game play mechanics.
When I'm playing ED I AM FLYING A SPACE SHIP. Otherwise there would not be any reason to play ED. Flying a space ship is the whole point of the game! 😆

The thing I hate most about SC is how long it takes to approach and get within safe jump distance to a station towards the end of your SC trip. I wish the game allowed us to be more aggressive in how fast we can approach at the end.

Supercruise doesn't need to go faster. If it was a bit more of an engaging activity, it could even be slower! If we had tools to help our navigation through the systems in Supercruise, such as an overlay showing the "density" of space (the "denser" the slower Supercruise) or tools that use the Orrery to plot routes to follow through the system, everybody might enjoy Supercruise more. Also, having the ability to have many of the pages that takes us out of the cockpit brought up as cockpit overlays without removing our ability to steer would be great. Some might have consequences to use at speed: The FSS might be hard to target when we are actively moving across the system; the Codex or map function might block the view of things we can run into or at least be slowed down by...

:D S

Superb. This is becoming the new FSS thread (now that’s been locked) which is ace because I don’t know about you but when I land in Shin and am faced with the great big long SC to Jameson’s, I like to put my feet up on the dash and read one of these threads to kill the minutes.

If we had tools to help our navigation through the systems in Supercruise, such as an overlay showing the "density" of space (the "denser" the slower Supercruise) or tools that use the Orrery to plot routes to follow through the system, everybody might enjoy Supercruise more.

Just fly above/below the systems plane, problem solved without needing to plot routes. Definitely speeds things up a lot and is a lot more involved if you enjoy making your flight path one smooth arc as I do.

Just fly above/below the systems plane, problem solved without needing to plot routes. Definitely speeds things up a lot and is a lot more involved if you enjoy making your flight path one smooth arc as I do.

That works well when the system is a simple disc. An overlay will make it even clearer then that all you have to do is get outside the systems plane to get to "thinner" space. Add a few more stars to the system at odd angles and with their own planetary systems, and it become less apparent. Since the bodies are also moving around, you might even see changes to the optimal route as you fly if they are in very tight orbits.

That works well when the system is a simple disc. An overlay will make it even clearer then that all you have to do is get outside the systems plane to get to "thinner" space. Add a few more stars to the system at odd angles and with their own planetary systems, and it become less apparent. Since the bodies are also moving around, you might even see changes to the optimal route as you fly if they are in very tight orbits.

It doesn't work well in "simple disc systems", it works in every system I've been to. While there may be systems out there where this isn't the most economical way to travel in SC, I have yet to see one, and it is certainly not worth Dev time to build a feature into the game to account for the rare freak systems where it would make sense.

Well here's my epiphany:

It's because we can't SC between star systems.

Otherwise there is no reason why FD couldn't tweak the SC speed algorithms to allow much higher speeds as you leave the local gravity well, why we couldn't creep up to, say, 5000c instead of 500c when travelling between bodies in the same system. In fact, no real game play reason why you couldn't increase the speed at a geometric rate as you move away from a planet, moon or star.

OK, the hutton truckers might choke on their egg and chips but I think even they might (albeit secretly) enjoy being able to both cruise to any place in a star system and do so without their head hitting the keyboard from chronic sleep deprivation and/or boredom.

So why can't we? Well because if we could do that we would be then able to cruise on to the next star (which just happens to be in the next system along) in a reasonably short time, and currently if you do that you end up effectively in witch space, sitting at the position where there should be a star right in front of you but in fact you see nothing but space dust.

Now I'm not suggesting that we have to change the speed of travel between bodies orbiting the same star (much), but come on, once your more than 10Kls from the nearest astronomical object there is basically N.O.T.H.I.N.G to see, so at that point you could ramp up the speed as high as you need to make the next 30kls or 90kls or .22Lyrs a more reasonable gaming experience.

But to do that without the need for glass walls between the star systems, you'd need to be able to seamlessly SC from one system to the other.

Now I'm not saying that would be easy for FD to achieve, but I think if they could do it then it would greatly improve the exploration side of the game and also increase the CMDR traffic to a lot of systems in the bubble. And not to mention giving people the option of taking the scenic route to the next star along instead of always having to H-Jump.
Not sure about supercruising between systems.... wouldn't that take too long? And I don't know what you would do while in supercruise. There's definitely stuff to do while in supercruise within a system: checking out USS's (great for manufactured mats gathering, illegal cargo pickups, dropping in on pirates about to mug some poor trader etc!), getting interdicted by pirates (awesome if you're in an engineered battle conda!), making a cuppa..... just not sure what you would do in between systems. Pretty sure it would just be empty space, so could be very boring!

Well here's my epiphany:

It's because we can't SC between star systems.

Otherwise there is no reason why FD couldn't tweak the SC speed algorithms to allow much higher speeds as you leave the local gravity well, why we couldn't creep up to, say, 5000c instead of 500c when travelling between bodies in the same system. In fact, no real game play reason why you couldn't increase the speed at a geometric rate as you move away from a planet, moon or star.

OK, the hutton truckers might choke on their egg and chips but I think even they might (albeit secretly) enjoy being able to both cruise to any place in a star system and do so without their head hitting the keyboard from chronic sleep deprivation and/or boredom.

So why can't we? Well because if we could do that we would be then able to cruise on to the next star (which just happens to be in the next system along) in a reasonably short time, and currently if you do that you end up effectively in witch space, sitting at the position where there should be a star right in front of you but in fact you see nothing but space dust.

Now I'm not suggesting that we have to change the speed of travel between bodies orbiting the same star (much), but come on, once your more than 10Kls from the nearest astronomical object there is basically N.O.T.H.I.N.G to see, so at that point you could ramp up the speed as high as you need to make the next 30kls or 90kls or .22Lyrs a more reasonable gaming experience.

But to do that without the need for glass walls between the star systems, you'd need to be able to seamlessly SC from one system to the other.

Now I'm not saying that would be easy for FD to achieve, but I think if they could do it then it would greatly improve the exploration side of the game and also increase the CMDR traffic to a lot of systems in the bubble. And not to mention giving people the option of taking the scenic route to the next star along instead of always having to H-Jump.
The reason why there's a cap on the max supercruise speed was explained in great detail in a similar thread a few weeks back. Something to do with non-Newtonian physics and max speeds in contemporary sci-fi. So IMO the speeds are fine, tho on those big trips (e.g. the 135kly between stars in the same system) I would be happy if FD added the ability to jump between the stars, or to be able to accelerate a bit faster to max supercruise speed. Anything more than that would just ruin the perception of the truly epic scale of the distances between planets, and the colossal distances between star systems IMO.

Top Bottom