Why have a profanity filter option if you're gonna ban people for swear words?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, you can throw a tantrum, but is not gonna make the house rule go away. I suggest dealing with it.

OP still raises a valid point. It is daft that people who voluntarily turn off the profanity filter (didnt even know it was possible, but cool!) complain about being confronted with profanity. It is also daft that FD still has a very, very lenient stance on known cheaters. Suggesting to 'just deal with it' isn't very sensible in the context of a discussion forum that explicitly exists to discuss this game.

First off, im not a ganker. I like my PvP to have a meaning and an objective, if it doesnt I do something else.
Having said that, im not blind. Tbh, congratulations all-round on the fantastic salt generator that is this thread and what caused it. From a meta perspective, it is artful, and I appreciate art where I find it. A ganker complaining about a meta-gank, a Cmdr escaping a gank repeatedly only to fall into a trap far worse than a rebuy, once he'd escaped? Ooh thats spicy. So, all in all, and in all seriousnes, congrats on the thread OP, congrats on the meta-grief to the culprit. Enjoy, everyone, this is a doozy xD xxx

Has everyone considered that the language used might have been fair comment for the person who ganked the OP? Calling someone a coward for escaping combat in a ship not outfitted for combat is not exactly indicative of someone I want to be around.

The ganker is obviously playing the system here. Whatever language was used wasn't shouted out in a room full of kids and if someone has turned the profanity filter off, that's saying you're happy with hearing swears. In this case just so they could report people for it by the looks of things.

If the OP was Sirtradesalot, this would be a different discussion and it shouldn't be.

Are you serious? Questioning the profanity filter is salty? Fascinating...

I see you joined only a few months ago. Welcome, and let me explain how things work here:

Question:"Hey guys, I noticed [x] is how [y] works in this game. I find that odd, and would prefer [z]. What do you all think?"
Response 1:"U so salty lol!!!"
Response 2:"diz game worsd devs so stupid roflmao!
Response 3:"If you dont like it just go away?"
Response 4:"Just git gud loser"
Response 5:"just play SC best ever!"

You raised your point, all you can do now is hope the devs see it and consider it at some future point. There is no point in arguing with people who have no interest in discussing the point you raised.

First off, im not a ganker. I like my PvP to have a meaning and an objective, if it doesnt I do something else.
Having said that, im not blind. Tbh, congratulations all-round on the fantastic salt generator that is this thread and what caused it. From a meta perspective, it is artful, and I appreciate art where I find it. A ganker complaining about a meta-gank, a Cmdr escaping a gank repeatedly only to fall into a trap far worse than a rebuy, once he'd escaped? Ooh thats spicy. So, all in all, and in all seriousnes, congrats on the thread OP, congrats on the meta-grief to the culprit. Enjoy, everyone, this is a doozy xD xxx
Oh I absolutely fell into a "worse trap" but I had no idea I could get banned from the game for using swear words in the game chat.

Again, being a salt miner myself, I fail to see how this salt. I'm just questioning the point of the profanity filter.

That would have been for a contravention of Xbox Live's communication rules on profanity, not Frontier's
Ok so this brings up another question then, cause I'm well aware of xbox's policy, (I've been chat banned a couple times) if they are linked why am I banned from the game and not Xbox chat then?

Isn't XBox Online covered by Microsoft's play nice policy, regardless of what FDev implement?
Interesting. If so, wouldnt it make sense to make that clear? Something like:

Q: Do you want to turn off the profanity filter?
A: Yes.
Q: Oh, btw, you know you'll get banned for profanity anyway?
A: Actually, I did not as that makes zero sense. Thanks for informing me!

:p

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
If it is the case that Microsoft did the ban then I'd say take it up with them?

Has everyone considered that the language used might have been fair comment for the person who ganked the OP? Calling someone a coward for escaping combat in a ship not outfitted for combat is not exactly indicative of someone I want to be around.

The ganker is obviously playing the system here. Whatever language was used wasn't shouted out in a room full of kids and if someone has turned the profanity filter off, that's saying you're happy with hearing swears. In this case just so they could report people for it by the looks of things.

If the OP was Sirtradesalot, this would be a different discussion and it shouldn't be.
THANK YOU 👏

If it is the case that Microsoft did the ban then I'd say take it up with them?
I don't have any kind of ban on my Xbox and I know what an Xbox ban looks like. The only thing I'm banned from is playing Elite.
When I go to start the game up it just kicks me back to the title screen. This started happening immediately after my interaction with the other players.

Interesting. If so, wouldnt it make sense to make that clear? Something like:

Q: Do you want to turn off the profanity filter?
A: Yes.
Q: Oh, btw, you know you'll get banned for profanity anyway?
A: Actually, I did not as that makes zero sense. Thanks for informing me!

:p

Ignorance of the law is harmul and it does't justifies illegal actions.

A tip for you: read the terms of use bofore accepting them.

Once I got back to Jameson he sent me a message calling me a coward and I replied "lol (lady part)"

Yeah, i'd avoid using strong language like that in the future.

Lesson learned?

The other guy is obviously out to get a rise out of you, and possibly taunted you just to get a reaction they could report. Don't fall for it in future.

While i understand having a profanity filter and at the same time banning people for foul language might be wierd, i have to applaud FD for taking a strong stance on this. I've seen too many online games end up being full of potty mouthed players who just spout swear words non stop. Its completely unnecessary.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom