Why have a profanity filter option if you're gonna ban people for swear words?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Has everyone considered that the language used might have been fair comment for the person who ganked the OP? Calling someone a coward for escaping combat in a ship not outfitted for combat is not exactly indicative of someone I want to be around.

The ganker is obviously playing the system here. Whatever language was used wasn't shouted out in a room full of kids and if someone has turned the profanity filter off, that's saying you're happy with hearing swears. In this case just so they could report people for it by the looks of things.

If the OP was Sirtradesalot, this would be a different discussion and it shouldn't be.

OP had all the tools to turn the tides in his favor. He just picked the shortest, old familliar path. He insulted other player in return. The "report" feature is available for everyone.

On the other hand it's hard to expect from a ganker to act like a civilized being, when being ganked. :)

Ok so this brings up another question then, cause I'm well aware of xbox's policy, (I've been chat banned a couple times) if they are linked why am I banned from the game and not Xbox chat then?

So you were banned from ED for using profanity

You just said you have been chat banned from Xbox as well

Did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE you should probably stop using profanity and watch your temper when interacting with other players instead of complaining about a profanity filter?

How many times do I have to say I didn't get ganked?
And I'm not complaining about the ban, I'm questioning the profanity filter.

Are you guys being serious or are you just messing with me?

The filter is there for the benefit of people who want to try and avoid having to read offensive messages.
It's not there so you can excercise a potty-mouth with impunity.

This should not be a difficult distinction to grasp.

Really think the OP should read the code of coduct, in particular the part that reads:

Do not discriminate against others. Being abusive, or promoting abuse, towards other players based on race, ethnicity, nationality, sex or gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or other criteria that offends other users will not be tolerated

Do not use explicit, harmful or sexual language. This includes the use of misspelt or punctuated words to insinuate, represent any of the above - also known as "masked swearing". Where Frontier may employ a profanity filter to communications in certain cases, this function does not remove the responsibility of an individual to adhere to the rules of this code of conduct.

The filter is there for the benefit of people who want to try and avoid having to read offensive messages.
It's not there so you can excercise a potty-mouth with impunity.

This should not be a difficult distinction to grasp.

Not on Xbox. As far as I know, it's fine to swear on PC.

Yeah, i'd avoid using strong language like that in the future.

Lesson learned?

The other guy is obviously out to get a rise out of you, and possibly taunted you just to get a reaction they could report. Don't fall for it in future.

While i understand having a profanity filter and at the same time banning people for foul language might be wierd, i have to applaud FD for taking a strong stance on this. I've seen too many online games end up being full of potty mouthed players who just spout swear words non stop. Its completely unnecessary.
Oh, lesson 100% learned. I would like to get a clear, cut answer on where the line is though, or why there even IS a line when the filter is turned off.

No, the PC version of ED has a report function as well.

But the ban explicitly wasn't from Frontier here. It was from Xbox live. Ergo, if this had happened on PC he would've been fine, and he probably wasn't even reported. Presumably it was an automatic ban.

Oh, lesson 100% learned. I would like to get a clear, cut answer on where the line is though, or why there even IS a line when the filter is turned off.

See, this is exactly the sort of attitude that should incur punitive action.

"I want to know where the line is so I can walk right on the edge of it without anybody being able to accuse me of any wrongdoing".

Sorry but it doesn't work lke that.
If you're being a tool and somebody reports you, the human being who deals with that report is perfectly capable of applying a bit of context and perspective in order to make a judgement as to whether you're being a tool or not.

So you were banned from ED for using profanity

You just said you have been chat banned from Xbox as well

Did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE you should probably stop using profanity and watch your temper when interacting with other players instead of complaining about a profanity filter?

It hurts my eyes seeing anyone need to be advised with a white on black letters about asking himself such a question.

What does it say about a person that just doesn't feel it in it's guts?

(that was not an open question)

See, this is exactly the sort of attitude that should incur punitive action.

"I want to know where the line is so I can walk right on the edge of it without anybody being able to accuse me of any wrongdoing".

Sorry but it doesn't work lke that.
If you're being a tool and somebody reports you, the human being who deals with that report is perfectly capable to apply a bit of context and perspective in order to make a judgement as to whether you're being a tool or not.
Then the other player should also receive a ban. Also he probably wasn't reported. Automatic Xbox chat protocols.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom