Why have a profanity filter option if you're gonna ban people for swear words?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No, the PC version of ED has a report function as well.
The Xbox version doesn't. You can only report players to XBL using the Xbox tools.

Sir G, if your game is closing immediately on starting, have you tried restarting your Xbox? (I'm not joking 😜) Especially if you've had no official notification of a ban

So you were banned from ED for using profanity

You just said you have been chat banned from Xbox as well

Did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE you should probably stop using profanity and watch your temper when interacting with other players instead of complaining about a profanity filter?
First of all, I don't have a temper, I just swear a lot and all I did was call a ganker a (lady part) because he called me a coward for not letting him gank me.
And second, I had no clue I could get banned from the game for swear in game chat considering there is a profanity filter. I learned my lesson on Xbox a long time ago and I have learned my lesson now, I just think it's ridiculous.
For the millionth time, why have an optional filter if you're gonna ban people for language anyway?

The filter is there for the benefit of people who want to try and avoid having to read offensive messages.
It's not there so you can excercise a potty-mouth with impunity.

This should not be a difficult distinction to grasp.
No duh.
Have you not read a word I've said? Do you honestly think I'm suggesting there should be no filter?

Then the other player should also receive a ban. Also he probably wasn't reported. Automatic Xbox chat protocols.

If it was me, I'd simply claim that calling another CMDR a coward was RPing. 🤷‍♂️

Responding to that using rude words can't be defended in the same way.

The Xbox version doesn't. You can only report players to XBL using the Xbox tools.

Sir G, if your game is closing immediately on starting, have you tried restarting your Xbox? (I'm not joking 😜) Especially if you've had no official notification of a ban
Yes I have. I also get a message saying "a new update has been downloaded" or something like that.

If it was me, I'd simply claim that calling another CMDR a coward was RPing. 🤷‍♂️

On the contrary. Do you think everyone in the Elite universe has impeccable manners and never swears?

The filter is there for the benefit of people who want to try and avoid having to read offensive messages.
It's not there so you can excercise a potty-mouth with impunity.

This should not be a difficult distinction to grasp.

Swearing is not illegal, offensive, maybe, but not illegal. So why cant folk have potty mouth if they so choose ?
For those who dont like potty mouth, wow, theres a filter that hides it, imagine.

Really think the OP should read the code of coduct, in particular the part that reads:

Do not discriminate against others. Being abusive, or promoting abuse, towards other players based on race, ethnicity, nationality, sex or gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or other criteria that offends other users will not be tolerated

Do not use explicit, harmful or sexual language. This includes the use of misspelt or punctuated words to insinuate, represent any of the above - also known as "masked swearing". Where Frontier may employ a profanity filter to communications in certain cases, this function does not remove the responsibility of an individual to adhere to the rules of this code of conduct.

You have you answer, OP.

Thank you Comander Zapgun! o7

Indeed, some people need to be restricted by law not to be harmfull to others.

Please read the code of conduc again - its all very clear about not using offensive language despite the filters existence.

DiscA05-FrakSAM4.jpg
It's also insane that a couple swear words can get you banned, instantly, for multiple days but someone who combat logs, which the devs have said IS CHEATING, can do it over and over again with nothing but an email warning them to stop.
Edit: I was not doing anything to "get around" the censor. I typed swear words in the game chat, the other player had his profanity filter turned off and yet he still reported me for my language.

Sounds to me like you were reported by someone who has a grudge against you, and was misusing the report feature.
(If they were genuinely offended they’ve clearly never been to 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 )

DiscA05-FrakSAM4.jpg

Sounds to me like you were reported by someone who has a grudge against you, and was misusing the report feature.
(If they were genuinely offended they’ve clearly never been to 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 )

This made me laugh, I know what the substitute word for person is.

Deleted member 38366

D
Thing is... does the in-game communication require swear words or "severe foul language" ?

It's a PEGI-7 title after all and there's some restrictions coming along with that.

PS.
My only gripe would be some CMDR Names I've seen.
Made me wonder how on earth some of those ever passed a Filter, seen some seriously nasty ones throughout the years.

I don't see why it can't; responding to an insult with an insult.

The same exchange happened in Mr and Mrs Smith (2005).
John calls Jane chicken faeces, Jane responds by calling him a cat. (@ Mod: Not attempting to by-pass censor here; change or let me know to change if you not happy with it)
Seems fair.

Please read the code of conduc again - its all very clear about not using offensive language despite the filters existence.
Holy crap dude I have! It's been posted like 5 times.
Just because it's a rule doesn't make it right.
Also for the millionth time, TURNING THE FILTER OFF SHOULD FORFEIT YOUR RIGHT TO REPORT PEOPLE FOR LANGUAGE

I don't see why it can't; responding to an insult with an insult.

The same exchange happened in Mr and Mrs Smith (2005).
John calls Jane chicken faeces, Jane responds by calling him a cat. (@ Mod: Not attempting to by-pass censor here; change or let me know to change if you not happy with it)
Seems fair.

I doubt there's anything ban-worthy in simply using antagonistic language that could reasonably be excused as RPing.
The same could not be said of using an overtly vulgar phrase in response.

Gotta use a bit of savvy if you want to be edgy.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom