Why Haven't you got a Fleet Carrier?

I haven't bought one yet, for two reasons:

1) Even after playing since release day at 1.0, I have nowhere near enough credits to afford one.

2) I really don't want a huge, expensive, high maintenance FC as they are designed. I'd LOVE a smaller personal FC, something lower cost with much lower upkeep that could only hold a half dozen ships or so. That would be perfect for how I play.

A smaller carrier would be brilliant.
Would make sense to have smaller one with less goodies for private cmdrs and huge ones with more services to be owned by squadrons.
First you upkeep yourself, the latter one, make squadron have their system who pays how much for upkeep of a "company" vessel.
If a squadron can't make a deal or agreement among themselves, have them lose it.

A smaller carrier would be brilliant.
I would love this as a minimalist.

I also think something that would solve a lot of problems is to make "closed" truly personal fleet carriers much cheaper to operate, with the caveat that it's removed from everyone else's system map, nav panel, etc. In other words, if you want everyone to be able to see and land on your carrier, it'll cost you, but if you don't need that (many people don't), then you save a bunch of credits and it helps declutter the galaxy.

Deleted member 110222

D
Because why would I need one when I'm happy camped on .25g planet, sipping coffee in a onesie, in my Cobra's cargo hold, crying in loneliness?

2) I really don't want a huge, expensive, high maintenance FC as they are designed. I'd LOVE a smaller personal FC, something lower cost with much lower upkeep that could only hold a half dozen ships or so. That would be perfect for how I play.
No Mans Sky (semi joking), one off payment*, holds six ships, walk freely around it, a bridge with staff, send your other ships on ProcGen missions and you can build your own living / working quarters right into the hull<?>.

* You can actually get a basic one given you if you play thru the storyline but can buy upgraded versions.

I don't have a Fleet Carrier because:

1) I can't afford to buy one. My asset value is just over 2bil credits, playing on PS4 since launch

2) I don't like to 'seriously' grind (I used Thargoid Scouts to get to Master...then stopped). As a result, while I enjoy Elite and have many hours in it, I only have four or five ships that are A-rated and well engineered. I've done mining, but I don't find it particularly fun and generally avoid it. Most of my credits were made in passengers and exploration over an obviously long period of time.

Put together, I won't afford a Fleet Carrier any time soon. It bears noting: I don't really want one, either. I mean - I do want a capital ship, like I have in NMS - I don't want one because it has very little utility to me for what I enjoy doing. My favorite ships all do their tasks well without support. The notion of lugging a FC (as currently designed) into the black doesn't excite me, nor does managing it and its upkeep in the bubble.

Needless to say, I'm not all that impressed with the feature. I don't think its useless (I do think it isn't well thought out), but I recognize plenty of others enjoy it and am glad they do. I had personally hoped for a support vessel akin to NMS - one that was an achievement to acquire, but not a burden to keep, and built to support my fleet and favorite activities in a meaningful and helpful way, not mirror already (highly) available resources (stations).

That's my main gripe about the FC.
  • In the black, it's current design just...isn't fun. (To me. My opinion.)
  • In the bubble, it's current design is...pointless. I'm never more than two jumps from a station that can do everything I need, for cheaper, with a mission board and passenger board, and all for free.

Just my two credits.

Can't afford one. Not really into grinding and in nearly 6 years of less credit centric daily gameplay I've accrued a grand total of 2 billion credits. Should be able to afford one by 2027 with a bit of luck!

S'funny, but this kind of strikes a chord despite me having an "adequate" sum of credits....

I still recall realising I'd have to build a ship to go mining in order to unlock Selene Jean.

I'd never even considered mining as a way to earn credits and I wasn't especially thrilled at the prospect but then (probably exactly as FDev intended), by the time I'd obtained the 10t of Painite SJ required, I actually resented having to give away Cr10m of stuff... especially in an era where Cr10m was a significant sum.

At some point, I guess I realised that mining was a good "fallback" method of earning credits so I kept hold of my mining ship and left it parked in a system with a Pristine Metallic ring and, as I've said, I always kind of enjoyed refining the ship's build and my own methods in order to maximise my earnings.
Even so, after 3 years (and around 5,000 hours) I still only had a total of around Cr1bn although I also accumulated a bunch of ships.

And then nu-mining came along and I carried on (mostly) doing what I'd previously done.
A year later I had Cr5bn and a heap of expensive ships.
Another year and I had Cr8bn and 2 heaps of expensive ships.

I guess I was lucky that FDev decided to make mining such a lucrative endeavor but looking at the way my earnings have skyrocketed - despite not having changed the way I play - is kind of terrifying.

Hmm, lets see...
  • main reason is simple - can't afford one with just (sic) 2B credits
  • another reason is I play infrequently and the thought I'll be loosing money on weekly basis for not playing feels bad
  • having one and not using is for not playing is a waste and I don't like being forced (play ED or loose)
  • after initial hype (my own mobile base, can finally be alone) I don't see much benefit from having one (from my game style POV)
  • drawbacks (jump cooldowns, weekly maintenance cost and most of all - PITA refuelling) outweight benefits
At first FCs looked as dream come true - I could have my entire fleet and modules stored in one place. On top of that I could move that place around with me. Exploration finally could be done with a ship I want, not I have to use. Also - having a fleet with me I could explore, trade (if near habitated space) and mine at the same time without spending lots of time on travel just to switch roles.

Sadly for me Frontier decided it's almost useless in my play style. Overall maintenance requirements and running costs make it another time consuming chore than a benefit. I'm a lazy CMDR and with my limited time, majority of my play session would revolve around FC maintenance and refuelling. Which means more time spent on things I do not wan't to do so i would have to force myself to do it.

And this is not the way I want to play games. In my book FC is not worth the hassle, especially when I don't play that often.

Because why would I need one when I'm happy camped on .25g planet, sipping coffee in a onesie, in my Cobra's cargo hold, crying in loneliness?
If you buy an alt account and use an old computer with low graphics settings, then you can multicrew your alt, and you'll be lonely no more. The Cobra is a wonderful little ship, because my copilot is right there beside me to share my adventures.

Now I just need to program my alt to link to a chat bot API, so I can have "real" conversations with her, LOL.

Personally, Frontier's continued missteps in developing this game as an MMO have relegated Fleet Carriers, with the exception of the Deep Space Support Array, into something I don't even want to see in my game at all, let alone want one of my own.

Between Frontier:
  • deliberately ruining their economic sim, in a vain attempt to appease the Veruca Salts of the Community
  • repeatedly making credit exploits gold rushes the "new normal" when introducing new income sources
  • and transforming Fleet Carriers from being the core of a player-augmented into annoying monuments to Ozymandias by backing away from requiring upkeep on permanent assets in shared player space
There's no meat to on Fleet Carriers at all. In MMOs I've played in the past, I would've wanted one to participate in the player-augmented economy. There isn't one in this game, and there's real challenge in owning a FC, so I don't see any point in owning one myself, except as a monument to my own ego. Given how annoying I find the blasted things in inhabited space, I wouldn't dream of doing that to others myself.

Engineers killed all the urge to play MP in ED. FC are a MP item. Also, since I haven played since the floodgates for powercreep were opened wide I haven't got the credits anyway. No credits, no interest - no FC.
With the current progression I would find myself in I'd first need to do the menials to come back to pre-engineer power level - a redundant activity I often rant about. Then I'd need to catch up on the ship roster. And frankly, I'm not hot on grind to play. Engineers had that already covered. The credit progression was already abysmal - I don't get why it's so important to get players have to unlock some new normals when the game was perfectly fine. And upkeep cost when offline? Lol - let someone else bother with such crap.

S'funny, but this kind of strikes a chord despite me having an "adequate" sum of credits....

I still recall realising I'd have to build a ship to go mining in order to unlock Selene Jean.

I'd never even considered mining as a way to earn credits and I wasn't especially thrilled at the prospect but then (probably exactly as FDev intended), by the time I'd obtained the 10t of Painite SJ required, I actually resented having to give away Cr10m of stuff... especially in an era where Cr10m was a significant sum.

At some point, I guess I realised that mining was a good "fallback" method of earning credits so I kept hold of my mining ship and left it parked in a system with a Pristine Metallic ring and, as I've said, I always kind of enjoyed refining the ship's build and my own methods in order to maximise my earnings.
Even so, after 3 years (and around 5,000 hours) I still only had a total of around Cr1bn although I also accumulated a bunch of ships.

And then nu-mining came along and I carried on (mostly) doing what I'd previously done.
A year later I had Cr5bn and a heap of expensive ships.
Another year and I had Cr8bn and 2 heaps of expensive ships.

I guess I was lucky that FDev decided to make mining such a lucrative endeavor but looking at the way my earnings have skyrocketed - despite not having changed the way I play - is kind of terrifying.
Don't ge me wrong I did a couple of weeks of deep core Void Opal mining 'cos it's quite a cool game mechanic (earned about 1.5 bil) but then I got a bit bored of it and went off to do other things. Not sure I'd ever do another straight week of it.

Top Bottom