Why is it so expensive to 'clean' hot modules?

I was a bit of a naughty boy and managed to accrue one of them fancy global bounties that was introduced recently and was foolish enough to swap out some modules in my ship. Unbeknownst to me, the modules remain 'hot' even if you then clear your bounty. I'm unable to put the modules back on my ship now and it seems the only way to get rid of the 'hot' status is to pay an exorbitant fee (Just under 2mil credits for 7A modules and just under 1mil credits for 6A modules. Seems a bit steep for a 600cr bounty).

I was a bit of a naughty boy and managed to accrue one of them fancy global bounties that was introduced recently and was foolish enough to swap out some modules in my ship. Unbeknownst to me, the modules remain 'hot' even if you then clear your bounty. I'm unable to put the modules back on my ship now and it seems the only way to get rid of the 'hot' status is to pay an exorbitant fee (Just under 2mil credits for 7A modules and just under 1mil credits for 6A modules. Seems a bit steep for a 600cr bounty).

Because it's based on module cost not bounty.

Would it have been OK with a 3mil bounty?
I mean... I guess? Punishment fitting the crime and all that.

It just strikes me as a bit odd to have a flat fee to clean a module no matter what the crime. At least give me the ability to re-fit the module to my ship, re-apply the bounty to me, then let me visit an Interstellar Factor to remove it (as that's much cheaper to do so). Or just have every hot module in storage cleared when visiting an IF. Doesn't make sense for you and your current equipment to get off clean but the authorities are still out there searching for your FSD that's tucked away in storage.

I get that Frontier designed it this way to stop people swapping to a Sidewinder and easily clearing their bounties but it's just a weird way of implementing it.

OP, if cleaning modules individually is way more expensive, BUT there is an easy way to clean them on the cheap in a ship why not just do it the cheap way and not gripe.

There's plenty of other problems this game has which are more of a problem.

Last edited:
OP, if cleaning modules individually is way more expensive, BUT there is an easy way to clean them on the cheap in a ship why not just do it the cheap way and not gripe.

There's plenty of other problems this game has which are more of a problem.

What's the easy way of cleaning them on the cheap? Like I said in my original post, the only way to clean hot modules that are no longer installed on your ship is to use the 'clean' function at any station, which is rather expensive. You cannot fit them back INTO a ship, as far as I'm aware. That's what I have a gripe with.

Let's say I get a bounty for 50k. Off I tootle to the interstellar factor and clear my bounty. Me, my Ship and ALL it's modules cost 50k to clear.
Now say I do exactly the same thing...but this time before I go and clear the bounty I store all my modules and replace them with clean E rated ones. Now when I pay the 50k bounty it clears me and my ship...but the stored modules are still dirty.
To clear the modules individually isn't just slightly more than 50k, it's exponentially more. You can end up in the millions.
-
So a 50k bounty can be cleared for 50k...or it can cost you millions.
-
I agree with the OP...something isn't quite right.

Costs the same for convincing fake VIN plates or serial numbers no matter why you need them replaced.

Paying off the primary bounty is different.

It's probably just the path of least resistance.

One way, they could take each module, and attach a bounty amount when you unfit it. But that is MATHS. What if you refit it? What if you clear your bounty, then try and refit the module? They need to track ANOTHER data point on each hot module, perhaps multiple data points. And possibly update them and remember things.

Or... they do it the easy way. Flag modules hot, a binary value. If they're hot and dismounted, they take a percentage of the module value to clean. Quick and dirty and expensive.

They went with quick and dirty and expensive. Probably because it was easiest for them.

Come on guys, this is working as intended, and It is right.

The point is to avoid the exploit of having a tainted ship and transfer all your best modules, that you usually fit, to a clean ship, leaving behind the tainted ship without consecuences.

For this exploit avoiding to work, to clean the modules must be expensier than cleaning the ship.

Oh well, if you wanna understand, that's It.

Top Bottom