Why is the srv scanner just garbage?

It's so useless visually, all those blips that appear that point to nothing, only way to even locate materials is the sounds it makes but even then it will make sounds for shiggles, glad i use vr and find things with my eyes, can't even imagine how stupid it is without it.

Only ever had issues with the srv scanner back when there was a known bug with the wave scanner display that didnt show anything (you still had sounds but nothing on display).

Other than the above its been pretty good. Although i would like a volume slider which a actually worked , sounds can be vey low while driving around.

It's so useless visually, all those blips that appear that point to nothing, only way to even locate materials is the sounds it makes but even then it will make sounds for shiggles, glad i use vr and find things with my eyes, can't even imagine how stupid it is without it.
If you're just looking for elements, go to a geological site on a High Metal Content world, they usually have things to shoot and collect, it's much faster for higher grades.

What is the point of all the visual noise elements on it that point to absolutely nothing, small blips, large ones, all pointing to or leading to nothing. My issue with it is it doesn't really do what it's supposed to and my eyes do a damn better job since the materials and anything I look at will get a targetting icon.

It does exactly what it's supposed to do. The signals are pretty easy to interpret - stuff at the bottom is mats, stuff at the top is metal, lines that are full top-to-bottom are "I think there's something there but I'm not sure". I think there's also stuff at the top and bottom with a gap in the middle, and I think that's bases. Going from memory though, so I may be wrong.

I think the wavescanner works just fine now - admittedly the audio from the SRV engine drowns it out too much but the visuals are top-notch now.

I think the wavescanner works just fine now - admittedly the audio from the SRV engine drowns it out too much but the visuals are top-notch now.
There's a couple of audio options they added last year which make it a lot easier to hear over the engine - or do you mean even with those?

Though i havent tried it, i saw a youtube vid that showed you could drive in a straight line and RNG would pop up stuff in front of you.
If you dont want to look for mats maybe try that.

The scanner works just fine.
To me it sounds you might want to have a look at a few SRV scanner tuts on youtube.

I found that after I did a recent planetary circumnavigation event I now have a better handle on what the signals mean. Practice makes perfect!

Couldn't agree more it totally sucks.
Going for some retro 1940's look and functionality is pathetic, utterly boring too.

To be fair to the OP, the SRV scanner is compelely broken in regard to the way it works at Geo' POIs.

At Bio' POIs it detects the mat' drops, themselves, so the signal decays and, eventually, vanishes as you harvest mat's.
This is, presumably, working correctly.

At Geo POI's it seems to detect the "area", itself, so the signal remains constant regardless of how many mat's you harvest or whether you've depleted the area entirely.
This would seem not to be working correctly, and certainly isn't working the same as it does at Bio' POIs.

Top Bottom